Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cuttervonwifflepuff

Dog dental care - Sonicare or electric toothbrushes?

Hey, everyone, I'd love your input on this subject, and haven't seen anything in the archives about this.

My dog (a 30 lb sheltie) is having plaque/tartar buildup on her canine teeth, and only on her canine teeth. Bones aren't working (she either licks the bone or chews on it with her back teeth, not her canines), which was recommended by my vet, who doesn't think she needs to undergo a full dental cleaning because it's just her top two canine teeth.

I have a Triple-Pet dog dental brush that's made to get both the inner side and the outer side of the back teeth, but doesn't work for flat-out brushing the outside of the canine teeth, which is what I need.

So, who here uses a powered toothbrush for their dogs? Down to the $5 Oral-B models up to Sonicare, do you use them, and how loud are they? (even if you use them on yourself, not your dogs, I'd love to know how loud they are and how well you think they clean)

I think powered toothbrushes would do a better job than a manual brush.... I know they do on MY teeth, anyway. I use the Sonicare Elite model on my teeth and know it's quiet, so I might get the Sonicare Advance or Essence model for my dog. But, hubby might freak if I spend that much, so am considering getting a $5-$20 Oral-B spinning-brush-type one first.

Any input you can give would be so helpful, as I'm planning to buy a powered toothbrush for my dog today.

Comments (9)

• mazer415
    15 years ago

I would not recommend either, the noise of an electric toothbrush might freak out your dog, and you might never get near it again. To get a good purchase on the canines, go get yourself some guaze pads, they are coarse and with a little water you can do a good cleaning, if brushing is not doing the job. You also might chek the bristle strength and use a medium bristle not soft.

• hald
    15 years ago

I occasionally use Sonicare on my 3 terriers. I tried the dog tooth brushes, human ones, and the odd cheap ones you can find at a drug store. The Sonicare works best. Use a non-foaming toothpaste such as Biotene. I brush their teeth either outside or in the shower when I bathe them; the Sonicare will splatter toothpaste everywhere so be prepared.

Mazer is right that they might freak out. Buy some disposable foam earplugs and put them in your dogs ears before you try the Sonicare on them. I use the foam earplugs whenever I groom mine or brush their teeth. It keeps the water out of their ears, they actually like the blowdryer minus the noise, and aren't bothered by the electric clippers I use when I cut their hair...Now I wonder why pet groomers don't use the earplugs to help calm down their subjects...

It only took 2 or 3 times for my terriers to relax when I brush their teeth. Also, I've got a big soft pillow I lay my dogs on when I groom them. They are long haired and it makes it much easier when they can lay on the pillow, still, and they are comfortable while I clip them, brush their teeth, or clean their ears. Hope that helps -
    hald

• mazer415
    15 years ago

That totally makes me smile - i tried earplugs for my pup for the fourth of July fireworks show and he shakes them out of his head everytime - kinda fun to watch em fly

• cuttervonwifflepuff
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hee hee, puppy ear plugs.

I still haven't purchased anything yet, though when at the grocery store yesterday, I noticed that the $5-7 electric toothbrushes have a "Try Me!" test button, and they're quite a bit louder than my Sonicare.

I've used an electric trimmer to clean up Zoey's wildly long fur around her bum, and she tolerates that, so I'm still thinking a Sonicare or a nicer (i.e. quieter) electric toothbrush might work for her.

She's good about letting me manually brush her canines, she knows she gets a reward for everything Mama puts her through. Manual brushing is better than nothing, but I don't think it's the best of the best.

Okay, don't laugh, but here's what I'm thinking: I have a Sonicare that I use for myself, and I happen to have 1/2 dozen extra heads for my Sonicare. I could take a new brush head, put it on my Sonicare base, use it to brush my dog's teeth, set that brush head aside in the doggy cabinet, and wipe my Sonicare base down with alcohol to clean it.

Is this totally gross? Is there still an ick-factor even after cleaning the base with alcohol?

I suppose, on the other hand, I could buy a used Sonicare on eBay to give Zoey her very own Sonicare, base and all.

• hald
    15 years ago

I think the extra toothbrush head idea is great. I was also going to suggest the old fashion type electric toothbrush that goes up and down. I used to use one on my Golden Retriever, Fred, who lived to be 16. Fred weighed about 80 lbs so he had a special big pillow to lay on when I groomed him sitting on the floor beside him. It worked well. I recall the up/down type also spattered everywhere.

Not to change the subject, but I wanted to suggest giving your dog a vitamin supplement. The vet recommended 1/8th tablet of a human supplement and 100mg of extra vitamin C each day for my Schipperke to help maintain dental health (she had to have several teeth removed when I first adopted her several years ago) and also to "cure" her watery eyes (without the extra C she has watery runny eyes that constantly weep). The vitamins have worked liked a charm.
    -hald

• Noturningback
    13 years ago

I stand partly corrected. There is a Biotene line for animals called V-Biotene. That would be safe. However, the human grade line could be potentially dangerous.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

There is an enzyme cleaning kit you can use. Full cleanings with a special irrigation tool are done by a tech, without the need for anesthesia. It seems to be a pretty good job.

• dogdancer9
    10 years ago

I have been using an Oral B spin brush, but I have also used the Sonic, and the cheap spin brush with batteries too.

Best results has been the Oral B Spin Brush dip in tiny cup of brown bottle of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Dip in Hydrogen Peroxide and brush, dip and brush, dip and brush.

Make it pleasant and keep brushing time short so they get use to it.

Try to do it a few times a week or every other day to get caught up on removing tarter.

It may be the diet causing all the tarter build up.

Usually dogs that eat a wheat, soy or corn based pet food get terrible tarter and terrible teeth from it.

The gmo carbs from wheat corn and soy don't do well for dogs teeth. Causes terrible tarter build up. Grains are not a natural food for dogs so grains can cause tarter buildup, gas, diahrrhea, and excessive weight gain as carbs get stored as fat as hard for dogs to digest. And now all grains in the USA are GMO's so even worst for dogs.

Switch to a sweet potato based pet food or white potato base. I had great results with sweet potato based pet foods.

Try USBones.com california natural sweet potato and herring dry and or canned dog food. Best I have found.

http://www.USBones.com natural holistic pet foods made in the US with US sourced ingredients. pet food, treats, chewies, bones, supplements for dogs and cats. Great family owned company.

Supplement with real veggies. Great for helping to keep teeth clean.
    Feed green beans, green peas (frozen or fresh -
    avoid canned veggies as sodium causes diarrhea)

Cook and cool sweet potato slices. I keep a bowl of cooked cooled sweet potato slices in the fridge to add to food or use as treats.

Banana slices and apple slices are also good.

You can also brush with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.

You many need to use baking soda to help remove the tarter if the hydrogen peroxide isn't working fast enough.

I think if you brush your dogs teeth 3 times a week, it should start to get rid of the tarter.

And changing the diet, and avoiding wheat, corn or soy based pet food which is usually the biggest culprit in tarter build up on teeth.

Hope this helps.