Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paprikash

Liptospirosis Vaccine

paprikash
10 years ago

I'm new to this forum and I'm new to puppy motherhood. I have a 12 -1/2 week old 3 pound beautiful, sweet, dark red female maltipoo. I live in a heavily wooded golf course community in Ohio where there is a lot of wildlife. My vet (whom I've just met 2 weeks ago) is advising that my puppy should get the liptospirosis vaccine. I've done some internet investigation and there are those who believe in it and those who don't. Does anyone on this forum have an opinion - pro or con? I will be walking her once in a while on our walking paths but she is an indoor dog. We do have an abundance of deer, rabbits, possums, fox, etc. Help, please. I don't want to give her anything that will make her sick.

Comments (8)

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

I've given this vaccine annually to all my dogs over the past 4 decades. It is part of the distemper, hepatitis, parvo, parainfluenza combination inoculation. Leptospirosis has become somewhat epidemic in my area and the vaccine my vets give is for 4 types of lepto. Lepto and the other diseases covered by this combination vaccine are not anything that you would ever want your dog to contract. The risk of a serious reaction to any of these vaccines is miniscule compared to the risk that these diseases pose. I'd strongly suggest following the immunization protocol that your vet recommends.

Congratulations on your new puppy! May you and she have a long and happy relationship.

• dreamgarden
    10 years ago

paprikash, please read these links before you make any decisions. Best of luck and health to you and your pet.

www.holistic-pet-vet.com/vaccinations/

www.ebvet.com/article7.php

• paprikash
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both for your advice. I've got about 4 weeks to make up my mind since my baby girl is getting her fourth vaccination a week from Wednesday. The way I understood the vet, the lipto vaccine would be given two weeks after that. I'm going to talk in more depth to the vet now that I have at least a little knowledge of this vaccine. In talking to other neighbors who have dogs, they have all opted to get it.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

I believe in the initial round of vaccines for puppies and kittens, but after that I pick and choose what my pets get.

My vet recently told me the distemper vaccine can now be given independent of the others so my dog got distemper, rabies and lepto vaccines at the last visit.
    He had parvo as a young pup so I had titers done for parvo when one vet wanted to give him a series of shots.
    Because that test showed antibodies, I chose not to vaccinate him for parvo
    Talk to your Dr. about what is prevalent in your area and your concern re: yearly vaccines.

• justplaincountry
    10 years ago

As someone who just spent 9 dreadful days praying my little
    girl would live through a bout of Lepto, get it!!!! It's a horrible way for an animal to get sick and die. Mine is 10 and was so very sick all because a skunk, coon or some infected animal left a mark for her in my fenced yard.

• lzrddr
    10 years ago

Your vet will know or not if Leptospirosis is endemic in your area. It is not only a nasty bacteria, but it is zoonotic (in other words, YOU can get it, too, and from your sick pet)! It can cause both serious liver and kidney problems and can make your and/or your pet extremely ill. I would definitely recommend it if there is Lepto in your area.

There are newer vaccines for these bacteria, by the way (there are multiple species of Leptospirosis out there), and the newest have 4 types of Lepto they protect against. These newer vaccines are far less likely to give your dog a bad reaction (we stopped giving the combo vaccine with Leptospirosis in it since so many dogs- primarily the smaller breeds- had severe reactions to it). We do NOT give Leptospirosis vaccines in my area, unless clients tell us they are going to be traveling to wooded, farm or endemic areas. I live outside of Los Angeles and there isnt too much of this bug here (but there is some).

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

If I lived near woods/wilderness areas, I'd get it for sure for my own dog, a large mixed breed.

However, before you get it for your little bitty thing, do some research;
    my brother, the Chihuahua fan (isn't it interesting how many times women like big dogs & big ole guys like...Chihuahuas???) says that the lepto vaccine can kill dogs like his.

I wish you & your dog the best.

• eccentric
    10 years ago

Our 24 lb. American Eskimo (now 9 years old) has been getting the lepto shot for many years. Toronto had a major outbreak a few years ago - there was only one survivor - and he had to start eating a vegetarian diet. Our dog has never had a reaction to the vaccine, thankfully. Who knows, perhaps it is because he is a small Standard Eskie. While considered a "small" dog - there are a lot of dogs who are much smaller. We get his lepto shot at the same time as his required by Toronto law at his annual physical. The one vaccine that he gets at a different time is the Bortadella shot - he gets it in January - just worked out that way due to a boarding issue and is probably for the best. He is also on Heartworm meds 12 months a year to help prevent stomach upsets due to our so-called warmer winters. It is expensive to give Heartworm meds 12 months a year, but not as expensive as a couple of vet visits.