Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clax66

Please say healing prayer for my Oreo

clax66
9 years ago

Hello,
I'm a bit desperate as I'm waiting for my husband to come home and I'm waiting for my vet to open at 5 pm.

My darling black and white cat Oreo is only 17 months old. He's been passing bright blood in his stool and when we took him in to see the vet a week ago, the vet didn't find any parasites or worms in his stool sample and just suggested monitoring and changing of food. We've changed his food but I'm so alarmed, Oreo is usually so energetic and playful but today he is so listless he can't even keep his head up. I work out of my home office and I know that something is horribly wrong with him. He has a sister, from the same litter, who is totally fine.

Please, please, I'm just waiting and praying right now and I'm asking if you could send healing thoughts his way.

Thank you,
Mira

Comments (8)

• oregpsnow
    9 years ago

Our thoughts to you and Oreo. I know how hard this is - especially the waiting.

• doucanoe
    9 years ago

Healing thoughts and prayers for Oreo. I hope you get to the bottom of what is wrong and get him back on his paws again very soon.

Good luck.

Linda

• clax66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your positive thoughts.
    Oreo's energy returned last night and this morning he's running through the house with his sister as is typical! I am changing his wet food and he will be back at the vet on Wed for a fuller exam.

• christine1950
    9 years ago

Glad to read he's doing better, saying a prayer for Oreo to stay well.....

• sylviatexas1
    9 years ago

This is frightening;
    although he feels better today, bright blood in the stool & lethargy/listlessness mean that something is very wrong.

Dark blood would mean something wrong in the stomach, but
    bright blood means that there's bleeding in the intestines.

I would definitely ask the vet what kind of food would make the intestines bleed;
    it seems much likelier that there's a parasite in there.

maybe tapeworms?
    I'm pretty hazy on tests for parasites (being really up on worms just doesn't appeal!) , but tapes might not show up on a microscopic exam because they're big;
    they show up in the stool when they shed segments.

Please question your vet & find out what he checked & what else he can check.

I wish you the best.

• JordanWalker
    9 years ago

Healing thoughts and prayers for your Oreo. How is he now? Does your vet already know what is wrong with him? I hope he is doing well now and everything is fine. Please keep us updated about Oreo's health. Keep strong Mira. I know that Oreo will be going fine soon.

• Tmnca
    9 years ago

Healing prayers for Oreo! It sounds possible that he could have swallowed something that injured his intestine, to be sure I would ask the vet to do some x-rays or ultrasound.

If it's not a foreign body, it could be IBD - the good news is that most cases can be resolved with proper diet. Read more about diet and IBD at the links below:

http://www.catnutrition.org
    http://www.felinenutrition.net
    http://www.catinfo.org

• lzrddr
    9 years ago

At 17 months old, IBD is unlikely, but not unheard of . Fresh blood in cat stool is not that rare, nor is it necessarily a big problem. Many things can cause a bit of fresh blood in the stool of a cat, with the most likely being the kitty ate something that was not his normal food... plant material (eg. grass is a common cause), excess hair accumulation can do this (in allergic cats or ones with a lot of fleas for example), or a diet change. Dry food is often implicated in situations with bloody stools in cats... high protein, low carb diets are always best for cats (impossible with dry food). Glad he seems better. If he has blood in his stool once a month or less, I would not be too concerned, particularly if he likes to eat grass or you keep changing his diet. If he has fleas, get rid of those, or excess hair ingestion can be a problem... also, I might recheck his fecal sample at least one more time... sometimes you need to do a few tests before certain parasites show up. Tapeworms never show up in fecals but you can often see them in the stools. However, tapeworms rarely if ever cause bloody stools.