Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilosophie

A Dog Tale (originally posted on the Garden Party)

lilosophie
10 years ago

Sparky, his story

His dam was an Australian Shepherd, Father a wandering Casanova, ancestry unknown, though judging by his personality and intelligence, there is some Jackass Russell Terrorist DNA present.
He and his litter-mates were born in the Outback during a late spring snowstorm. Mama made a nest for them in the snow.
Their owner had issues and went off his meds and on a rampage. There being no Mental Health facilities in this neck of the woods, the County Jail is the "Mental Health" Facility. Sheriff deputies came and took him away. As usual, they did not notify Animal Control of animals left behind. People living in the same area knew of the adult dogs and came to take care of them, but it took a few more days before the pups were discovered.
The pups, think 4 or 5 of them, ended up at the feed-store. Such personable dogs they were and nice looking, they found homes very quickly, Sparky was the only one not spoken for yet. Feed Store closed for the weekend, so Joann took him home, temporarily, of course.
Skeeter, the McNab old girl, did not cotton to pups, so of course, he could only be a temporary guest, Joann made that clear.
Like all famous last words, that was not the last word. Skeeter took one look at Sparky and very strongly asserted "That is MY dog!" She immediately took over to teach him all her vast knowledge how to be a dog.
He did learn fast. House-trained in no time, his weakness was food, likely because of the very deprived start he had in life.
Sparky literally ate everything, chewed and swallowed before even asking: "is it edible?" Cardboard and paper, string, rocks, clothing items, no matter, if it fit into his mouth he ate it, too big? Well, chew pieces off. Once he was caught with a razor-blade in his mouth.
First command he learned: "Leave it". It stuck and he is very good dropping whatever it is. The command expanded to include messing with people who do not want to be messed with, cats who do not want to be chased and everything between. Good command to start a pup on. Next was "Come by", rewarded with a treat, now not all the time, but he expects it anyway. Sparky always has high hopes, incurable optimist, though we try not to let him get his way all the time, he is too damn cute for his own good.
He is a good visitor, even though he expects something whenever I put my hand in my pocket, hoping the pocket is loaded.
Note: Joann is my daughter, she works at the feed-store and owns Sparky

Comments (2)