Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwmc_gw

Sub-Q's & Walgreens

dwmc
10 years ago

Was e-mailed instructions on how to get them from Walgreens, but have lost the e-mail and it's not under "delete".
Do you get your sub-q's from Walgreens? When you go in person no one seems to know anything, yet people say you can obtain them there for much cheaper.
If you know anything can you e-mail me?:
TOBEY32@hotmail.com

David

Comments (12)

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

Go to the pharmacy counter and ask for lactated ringer solution, lines, and 20 gage needles. You will need to get a prescription from your vet. Your vet might be able to call it in to the Walgreens pharmacist. I hope this helps.

• laurief_gw
    10 years ago

David, as the other posted stated, Ringer's is a prescription item, so you'll need to ask your vet to phone in or write you a script to present to the pharmacist. In my area, none of the pharmacies stock Ringers, but they can all order and receive it overnight once they have the prescription.

I recommend that you call around to ALL of the pharmacies in your area and ask for case pricing on Ringers. Prices can vary widely. In my area, Target is a MUCH cheaper source for Ringers than Walgreens. Also, when price checking, ask how many bags are in the case, as this varies between manufacturers, as well.

Laurie

• oregpsnow
    10 years ago

I have not done this (yet) but one person here said their Costco was really cheap, too.

• dwmc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got all notes and e-mails. Thanks much. Will be looking into it!

David

• drumgal31561
    6 years ago

I checked around at some of the pharmacies where I am at and they seem to be much higher in price. My vet charges me $32 for one 1000ml bag which is ridiculous I think. The pharmacies I checked here only have either 500ml or 250mL. I heard that buying lactated ringers online isn't a good idea. Sure wish I knew what to do.

• drumgal31561
    6 years ago

Thanks SaltiDawg, much better price than $32 for sure.

• laurief_gw
    6 years ago

Check ALL of the pharmacies in your area. Prices for LRS vary tremendously around my area. I can currently buy a CASE of 1000 ml bags of LRS at a small, independent drug store in my town for around $35. Other chain pharmacies in my area sell the same case for more than $100. Of course you'd need a prescription from your vet for a full case of LRS. BTW, Braun is currently the cheapest brand of LRS. When calling pharmacies for pricing information, make sure you ask them to check pricing on all brands available through their wholesaler. Otherwise they may only give you Hospira's price, which is 2-3 times higher than Braun.

• drumgal31561
    6 years ago

Thanks laurief_gw, I have checked a few pharmacies and 2 can get me some but only the 250 ml and the other 2 can't get any at all. Still checking on a few others. Will have to try the independent ones to see what they can come up with.

• laurief_gw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

There's nothing wrong with KV Vet. In fact, I've done business with KV for decades. They're one of my favorite pet supply sellers. But why would I pay $9 for a single 1000 ml bag of LRS when I can buy a case (12 bags) of LRS at my local pharmacy for less than $40 for the entire case? I don't have money to burn like that.

• laurief_gw
    6 years ago

Cases of Braun 1000 ml LRS contain 12 bags. Hospira and Baxter brand LRS cases contain different numbers of bags. When price shopping cases of LRS, it's important to verify the number of bags per case so that you can calculate the price per bag to make accurate price comparisons. Also, when shopping mail order sources, you must include the cost of shipping, which can be considerable with a heavy item like LRS. KV lists the weight of a single 1000 ml LRS bag at 0.50 lb. That adds up to a substantial amount of added shipping cost per bag.

• drumgal31561
    6 years ago

Yup you must consider shipping. Some online places will have free shipping on orders $49 some $69 or another place is free shipping on orders for $19 but then they are $11 per bag. Either way it's still cheaper for me than paying $32 for one 1000mL bag.