Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat Ate Hydrangea

Posted by renee_fl (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 14:36

Approximately four weeks ago my friends elderly cat got sick. He started losing weight quickly and was walking hunched over and seemed disoriented. He was taken to the vet and xrays were taken and blood tests were run and nothing showed up. The thyroid was off but everything else seemed fine. They assumed he may have hurt himself jumping. He was put on Tapazole and given Metacam to use as needed for pain. He didnt appear to improve although he did have a couple of good days here and there and he has very little appetite.

Today she realized that her cat may have had access to and eaten part of a hydrangea which is toxic. She is convinced that is what happened. She has a call in to her vet and is waiting for her to call back.

Is there anything that can be done at this point if in fact that is what happened??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat Ate Hydrangea

I grow ornamental plants for a living, and am also a pet owner. The best advice to give anyone who thinks their pets may have ingested a toxic plant is to call their vet immediately. Sometimes getting the stomach purged is the most effective thing you can do to prevent or lessen the consequences. This is especially important for certain plants where there is no effective antidote, and the only treatment is supportive care and good luck.

I don't freak out at all the outside plants with potential toxicity so much as I do those typically brought into the house where a house kitty is tempted to chew anything green. Some cats tend to do this, some don't. But, one of mine was a chewer and I took care to be sure bouquets and potted material was at least not dangerously toxic.

Hope the kitty improves, and this is a question best left to her vet to answer.

o
RE: Cat Ate Hydrangea

Yes, the vet should know about the hydrangea possibility.
However, be aware that oral metacam can have very serious side effects on a cat's kidneys and liver, especially an older cat, and a sick cat (with no diagnosis).
Hope this cat will be O.K.,
Anne-Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here