Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Not Over Diarrhea Yet

chisue
10 years ago

Our 13.5 year old male Westie (Eliot) began regurgitating, then developed diarrhea w/blood six days ago -- began overnight. Took him to the vet the next morning. Stool sample OK. Fed rice and chicken until yesterday. Vet prescribed a probiotc, 5 mg Pepcid AC, 250 mg Metronidazole daily for ten days.

Yesterday vet said to go back to Hill's canned i.d. restore low fat. (We feed 4X daily due to lifelong 'sensitive stomach' -- excess acid.)

He is 'better', not as listless, but I'm still finding small dabs of loose-ish poop -- in his bed at night, around the house during the day. He and I are pretty unhappy about this. He is urinating normally. He eats his food.

This is our fourth Westie and first experience like this. How long might this go on? What if it never stops? Diapers? Is there anything else I can do now?

This dog has never been a 'drinker'. I add water to the Hill's just to get some into him. He's also a bolter of yard junk -- mulch, rabbit poop, etc. but that's not *new*. I know he's 'not made right'; is a puppy mill rescue dog we've had since he was 3 mos.. His arthritis is bothering him more lately -- legs and feet not right, down on his pasterns.

Comments (4)