Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelia77

Underground electric fence

angelia77
16 years ago

Hello everyone ~ I have been reading these forums for some time but this is my first post...

I am curious about people's opinion/experiences with underground electric fencing to keep dogs in. We have 3 acres and cannot decide to do a wooden fence for a small portion of our property or install an electric underground fence around the majority of our property. We are leaning towards the electric fence because we like the openness it allows, but we want the best thing for our pup. We don't know anyone who has an electric underground fence so I am looking here for thoughts.

By the way, we have a lab puppy who gets lots of park time walking/running on the leash and we are starting puppy classes next week.

thanks!

Comments (22)

• foosacub
    16 years ago

If you're going the electric route, I'd suggest putting up a pigwire fence and put a hot wire on it. This would help keep things from getting *in* as well, which is a concern with the underground-type electric fences.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

We spent a thousand dollars on an underground fence and wish we had applied that to a regular fence. What a waste. My dogs got shocked in many locations they shouldn't have and became terrified of the collar. By locations I mean where they were, not on their body. For instance, next to automobiles or in certain areas of the driveway or when a storm was brewing. My neighbor has a small farm and has a pasture for 4 rescued dogs (yes, she is that nice, they have a barn too)) with an above ground electric fence and the dogs can get out if they are determined.
    Do the regular fence: wooden with chicken wire, iron, chain link, whatever. Much more piece of mind.

• goldgirl
    16 years ago

I'd never trust on an underground fence for the reasons discussed above. It doesn't keep anything out and it doesn't work for all dogs - some because terrified of it, while others don't care enough about the shock to stay inside the bounds. Even if they do 99% of the time, there's no guarantee that they won't encounter something tempting enough to make them stray.

If there's no other option (like an HOA restriction that doesn't allow any fencing), then I guess it's better than nothing. But I can't imagine leaving a dog outside unattended with one. Someone I know didn't even know her dog was gone until she found him in the neighborhood. With a dead battery in the collar.

• prairie_love
    16 years ago

OK, well, it's time for a different point of view. In my experience, a properly installed fence, with properly trained dogs, and properly used is wonderful. We have an electronic fence around approximately 3 acres. We have three large dogs trained to it and all are happy and confident in the yard.

Some of the points raised above are completely valid and for those reasons I would never recommend that a dog be left unsupervised for any length of time with an electronic fence. We have an area with a "real" fence that the dogs can be in when we are not at home or otherwise need to have them contained in another manner. However, when we are home the dogs run in the three acres and are very happy.

I have tried the shock on myself. It is a strong shock but it is not painful, simply ... uh .. shocking. It certainly gets your attention. There is no excuse for dead batteries in a collar. We write down the date we replace the batteries, and we replace them regularly. We also check them occasionally to be sure they haven't run down unexpectedly.

I have no idea why bumblebeez dogs were shocked in the wrong places. I know several people with these fences and have never heard of this. If I was going to install a new one, I might ask the reps why this could occur.

By the way, this is not an electric fence and the difference is important. An electric fence shocks when you touch it. The invisible fence is an electronic fence. It sends a radio signal to the dog's collar, which shocks the dog when he comes within a certain distance. This eliminates the problem bumblebeez refers to with the neighbor's electric fence that the dogs can get out of. Also, the distance over which the dog gets shocked can be adjusted. For example, ours is set for about five feet, meaning that five feet in any direction from the cable and the dog gets shocked.

I believe these fences can be very effective but the training and maintenance are very important. Take your time training the dog, don't just put the collar on and put the dog out. Make sure that the dog fully understands the boundaries of the yard and the consequences of passing those boundaries.

• prairie_love
    16 years ago

Oh, I forgot to add ... you didn't say the age of your puppy, but I believe most of the electronic fence companies recommend that a dog be six months of age before training them to the fence. In addition to that, I found it very helpful for the dog to have had at least some basic obedience first.

• dobesrule
    16 years ago

I guess they work well in some situations but I don't care for them because they don't keep other critters out. Also some zoing ordenances don't recognize a dog as being contained but them so you are still in violation of the leash law

Lisa

• eandhl
    16 years ago

The radio wave fences are a wonderful tool if used properly and dogs are trained properly. We had about
    2 1/2 acres done with the wire which gave our terriers great running area when we were in attendence. They were never left out without one of us, they were either in the house or an 8 X 12 chain link kennel. We had our zone set for 10 ft, meaning they got the audible sound (not a shock) 10ft before the wire. There is no shock unless they actually cross the wire.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Check local ordinances about them and also consider that anything including predators(coyotes), prowlers (thieves) and kids (lawsuits) can get in. The dogs can get out if they really want to.
    Wouldn't you breath easier if you just put in a nice picket fence? They aren't all that expensive and they look nice. It will make your yard so much more usable like it's its own living space.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Although on second thought it is suggested that dogs are supervised at all times when in the yard. I can tell you it doesn't take too long for kids to wander over and start monkeying around with the dogs.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

My underground fence was recommended by a friend of mine who has one and loves it. I do know a lot of people who have them and love them. The layout of our driveways and slope of land may have had something to do with it. I talked extensivly with the installer about the problems and according to him, the problems I was experienceing happens about 1 out of 100. Something to do with the telephone wiring also.
    Anyway, by the time I was able to correct the sitution, my dog would run under the bed and hide in the closet if I got the collar out. If I put it on her, she wouldn't leave the door mat outside.

So,...that's my experiences! We don't use a fence now. The dogs stay home, but we are no where near a real road and have lots of acreage. I know about where they go. Not the best, though, I do spend a lot of time checking on them but I'm home all day anyway.

• spiritual_gardner
    16 years ago

I agree that if you decide on the system that you should have something in place to keep out unwanted critters. I've heard nightmare stories of raccoons or foxes getting into an area, the dog can't get out and severe fights occur.

Aside from that, I think there are two major issues you need to address.

First, your Lab pup is going to have huge amounts of energy until at least the age of 16 months, perhaps longer. Labs are known or this, and if they don't use it up they can really get into mischief because they are frustrated or bored.

Second, leaving a dog outside unsupervised is a recipe for disaster. The dog needs to have guidance, especially when a pup. You really need to keep a constant eye on the creature, just like you would a human baby for at least 6-9 months, lest bad habits get instilled and other behavior issues develop that you will need to correct.

I have three large females, they all stay in the house most of the time but are on a regular schedule for at least twice daily walks, mid day relief and meals. When they are outdoors in my fenced in yard, someone is always looking after them, just to be sure of their safety.

On a different subject, developing a routine that the dog can depend on is very important. Dogs are creatures of habit and soon get used to regular walking times etc. This also helps develop good habits. Lots of people run into negative issues with their dogs simply because they are not on a routine schedule.
    SG

• angelia77
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks for the input! I think we are leaning towards what prairie_love has. An electronic fence around the acreage and a standard fence for a small area off the deck for when we are not outside. I would never leave her unnatended in the electronic fence.

We live in a rural residential area and have woods on three side and a creek. We live about 1/4 mile from the Kansas River so the terrain is pretty steep in areas. I think a normal fence would be very difficult to install and cost prohibitive.

We have a pretty standard routine now with morning and evening walk/runs. I would continue that after the fence (I need my exercise too!).

Thanks again everyone - my girl is nudging me, its Saturday hike time! Have a great weekend.
    angelia

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    16 years ago

I have no personal experience with the fences, but my nephew's wife made a mistake with the fence. The warning is a sound, I think. My nephew's wife was using a machine that interferred with the warning sound. I think it may have been a weed eater. The dog started crying and crying. It got too much of a shock because the sound of the machine interferred with the warning sound.

This may not be relevant to what you are doing.

Sammy

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

It would be unnecssary and a bad idea to fence in the entire property where your dog can go running off to chase squirrels and you can't keep an eye on them. Doing a small area is a good idea. Chain link runs about $8 a foot installed.
    So if you fence off a generous 50x100 area (about the size of an urban lot) it would only cost about $2400 plus the gate. And you can get it in colors like black or dark green so it doesn't look too bad. In fact I'd take the black chain link over wood privacy fence any day only my neighborhood doesn't allow it.
    Don't waste money on the underground system for your whole property where training the dog to react properly would be inconsistent. And it's more trouble to put that special collar on every time you want the dog to go outside.

• shroppie
    16 years ago

I never recommend electronic fencing for all the reasons stated above. In addition, should the dog cross the invisible barrier for whatever reason, it is effectively locked out of the yard - whatever powerful stimulus inspired it to cross out is not present to compel the dog to cross back in.

Electric and electronic fencing make excellent secondary fences to reinforce primary fences, especially with diggers and climbers. Regardeless of the sales pitch, they should not be used as a primary fencing method

• prairie_love
    16 years ago

Putting the special collar on is not any trouble at all. The collars are simply kept hanging over the door knob. When the dogs go out, collars go on, when the dogs come in, collars come off. Simple.

Quirky I don't understand the statement at all that fencing the whole property where training the dog to react properly would be inconsistent. I see no reason why the OP can't train the dog consistently on the property described. In fact, it sounds perfect. In my experience, running the invisible fence along natural boundaries works very well. We also have woods on three sides, so ran the fence right along the line of the woods. It gives the dogs an added clue as to where the boundary is located.

One suggestion though. Be sure that the area with a real fence is not too close to the invisible fence line. We made that mistake and so if a dog were put in the fenced yard with the collar on, she could potentially get shocked in one corner of the yard.

Yes, there are potential problems with these fences. But there are with chain link and wood fences as well. I have had dogs for over forty years and have had all these types of fencing. I've had dogs escape from all types, I've had critters get into all types, and I've had humans get into all types. I've had neighborhood children climb a six foot high wood fencing to see the dog - that scares me more than a child coming across the invisible fence line! I've had people leave the gate open on chain link and the dog get out - very analogous to letting the batteries go dead on the collar. Any form of containment requires that the owner be aware of what is going on, keep the fencing in good repair, and know where the dog is.

As you live in a rural area, it sounds perfect for you. I would probably not have an invisible fence in a city residential area, but we are also in the country. It is great to be able to be out working in the yard with the dogs running loose, investigating smells, chasing squirrels - and stopping when they get to the fence zone, etc, but I don't have to watch every second to be sure the dogs are still in the yard. They love it and I love it.

• measure_twice
    16 years ago

depends on the dog. Some dogs will blow through the pain of the radio collar and go running free, even if the dog is well-trained to know the fence limits. Some dogs will respect the pain of the radio collar. No telling what your individual dog will do.

I have Huskies. They would blow through and not respect the radio collar.

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Hence the need to supervise.
    In other words the fence, invisible or otherwise is not a baby sitter.

• measure_twice
    16 years ago

quirky, true. We do have a fenced yard and our Huskies are only out there when we are home to supervise.

• prairie_love
    16 years ago

One more comment to help the OP and anyone else considering an electronic fence and it is in response to one above.

In addition, should the dog cross the invisible barrier for whatever reason, it is effectively locked out of the yard

Again, careful consideration before installing the fence eliminates this potential problem. For example, our fence forms a big circle around our house EXCEPT the front driveway, front walkway, and front door are excluded. In other words, the dogs can go in a big U-shape, with access to both side and back, but not to the front.

This accomplishes three things. 1 - visitors can come to the front door without dealing with the dogs, 2- we can take the dogs for a walk by going out the front door and not have to cross the fenceline, and 3 - should the dogs get out, they have a safe access back to the front door. They know they have this access because they have gone on walks that way.

Angelia, it sounds like you are planning to go this route and, as you can tell, I think it will work well in your situation. I suggest though that you give a lot of thought to some of these issues - if you want to take the dog for a walk, how will you do so? (they make "masks" to block part of the fence if needed), where will the dog's "safe" refuge be? etc. I think it is worthwhile to talk to one of the major companies that deal with electronic fences, have a representative come to your home and make recommendations. They are experienced and can help you decide on the best placement for your situation.

Good luck!

• angelia77
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advise prairie_love, that gives me something to consider. I was thinking about fully enclosing our property. I do alot of gardening in the front and my dog likes to lay under the trees and chew sticks while I'm out there. Now I'll have to rethink that.

We'll definately have a professional installer come out and give us a recomendation.

thanks again!

• plumbly22
    15 years ago

We have a large fenced area, which also contains our pool. Fenced area is about 75x50... Our two dogs routinely are housed in this area. We also have a petsafe wireless 'containment' fencing system... which is basically a unit you plug in and the based on how you set it, it generates a frequency in a globe from the unit... up to 90 foot in radius (180 foot diameter)... if the dogs stay within the globe they are not shocked, when they near the outer limit the collar beeps and then zaps... but here is the 'kicker' on this vs. teh traditional wire in the ground fence. the zapping will continue for something on the order of 30 SECONDS if the animal does NOT return inside the globe... thus a pet with a good head start and full out run... is still zapped for about 30 seconds or so... not just for the 10-15 feet of near the wire time with the more traditional systems... training time is the same, and issues with other animals is also still the same...

We use this especially when we are outside anyway so they can be 'with' us... and also to let them have more room to run on our 5+ acres... btw... you can use a second unit and overlap the globes of frequency to expand the area the animals can access...

I got ours after several friends got them instead of the inground systems... you can take it with you to other places (vacations, visiting) or if you move (especially handy for renters)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!