Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fleas! Help!

Posted by newhomeseeker (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 12:50

About two weeks ago I was sitting on the couch with my two rat terriers and I noticed fleas jumping on my arms and legs. I looked at both dogs and they were covered (I saw about ten fleas or so on each) with fleas. THe next day I went to the vet and got Front Line and also picked up some flea spray for the carpet and furniture. I treated everything and applied the advantage. About four days later, no sign of fleas anywhere thankfully. Well, two days ago I noticed a flea infestation AGAIN. The dogs are covered in them (and Front line is supposed to last a month). I have no idea what to do. The vet just said sometimes fleas become immune to flea treatments because we use them too often?

Any ideas? I can't treat them with any type of flea killer again for two weeks. THey are only five pounds and 18 pounds so I have to be careful.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fleas! Help!

Well, I am not able to use anything like that due to health issues in my girls. It's a pain, but daily flea combing and vacuuming like crazy (furniture too) daily for a spell helps alot. It's alot of work, but I have knocked out a flea invasions that way in the past.

o

I have seen fleas here as well even after giving five indoor cats and 2 dogs Frontline on May 15. Dogs are on Sentinel year round. I'm debating whether to give another dose so soon. My little cat Lily died five days after getting the dose last month. I don't know if there was a correlation but she was completely healthy and then she died.

o

I'm having issues as well. I have treated the yard several times and gave them Comfortis. For a few weeks things were good, but my beagle has them again!

o

You may be seeing fresh fleas jumping on your pets from areas in the house or yard. They don't just immediately die the minute they get on your animals if this is the case.

If you have them in your house, don't think a fews days of spraying is going to eradicate them. I had the flea infestation from hell years back before the topical applications were generally available for pets. I had brought home a stray long-haired kitten from a stable and he harbored them and dropped the eggs into the carpet and it took me over two weeks of daily vacuuming, repeated carpet shampoos with flea killer in it, and bombs to finally break the cycle. All the while treating the animals to an ingestible flea control agent the vet did carry.

I even had a vet who couldn't seem to get rid of her flea problems until they popped a baseboard in their house and found them packed with flea cocoons. It can be a nightmare.

It could be a case of the fleas being immune to the treatment, but not necessarily. They shall be in your house in all stages of life from eggs to larvae to pupae and I found them everywhere, even on the furniture where the cats lay.

I did get rid of them and it was the last time ever I had problems and that's been at least twelve years ago. I lived with a vacuum, a bucket of hot soapy water and household sprays for two weeks, however.

o

Get your animals and yourself out of the house for at least four hours, close all the windows and set of some flea bombs. You have to kill all the fleas in the carpeting, etc. or they will keep infesting the animals. We had a flea infestation years ago and my husband didn't want to use the bombs. However, we were leaving for vacation, the animals were going to be kenneled and we would be out of the house for a week. Perfect timing and up until then, I couldn't get rid of the fleas. Never had a problem after that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here