Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carmen_grower_2007

6 week old kittens

carmen_grower_2007
13 years ago

I constantly see people giving kittens away at 6 weeks old. Now that I am experiencing a mom with her kits, I know for sure that my kittens (who are 6 weeks old) sure wouldn't be ready to leave their mom or their litter mates. In fact, I'm not sure they would be ready at 8 weeks.

They are nibbling kibble and drinking water and using the litter boxes but they still nurse several times a day and have lots to learn still from their mom and their siblings. They look like little gray rats running around and are like watching the Discovery Channel! They haven't even discovered the outdoors yet and their mom sure does have plenty to teach them about that new world.

Maybe our kittens are just slow but I would love to hear from you who have raised a litter of kitties.

Comments (15)

• rivkadr
    13 years ago

I've never raised a litter of kittens, but I got both my cats from the humane society at 8 weeks of age, and I agree that it was too soon. They both constantly tried to suckle on my earlobes!

Kittens and puppies really shouldn't go to homes sooner than 10 weeks, IMHO, and 12 weeks is probably even better (my father is a dog breeder, and none of his pups leave home before 12 weeks, and it's often much later.)

• izzie
    13 years ago

Yes you are correct is saying they need more time with mom and also they learn from siblings too. It is best to wait until about 8-9 weeks. Most cat breeders, good ones sometimes wait til 12 weeks, that's what it was for our last cat we got from a breeder (maine coon). They will be more confident and less scared. I agree, 6 weeks is just too young.

• sue36
    13 years ago

The breeder I got my Ragdolls from uses 12 weeks as a guideline, but she let me take my boy cat at 11 weeks because he was large, seemed ready, and he was driving her nuts (he was a biter, little pirahna teeth). I think my girl cat, same breeder different litter, was 11 weeks as well.

• cindyandmocha
    13 years ago

carmen, you have been in this forum a long time. I'm pretty sure you've read many posts here about giving dogs and cats away too early from weaning.

So I'll just reiterate that 6 weeks is way too young. You know this.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sometimes we don't pay attention to posts that don't affect us personally. I have never raised a litter of kittens before and see them given away at 6 weeks often.

Thanks for your help in all questions.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The kittens are almost 9 weeks old now and still nursing about once a day. Vet says to take them away so we can have the mother spayed. She is much more interested in nursing them than they are about nursing. Since she is a indoor/outdoor cat, she could already be pregnant again so we can't take the chance. She will be spayed next week.

• calliope
    13 years ago

When you wean a kit from her mother has more than just nutritional impacts. It has some major social and behavioural impacts too. Kittens parted too early don't learn what they need to know about being normal cats that a human can't teach them but their mother can.

• cindyandmocha
    13 years ago

Carmen I've been a little harsh with you lately, but not intentionally (ok maybe a little intentionally). But you do ask good questions, regardless of whether we have different philosophies or differenet viewpoints.

However Calliope does make a good point. I do remember reading that weeks 6 to 8 are critical learning periods for animals - particular pack animals. Now this might apply more to dogs than cats, but cats also are "pride" animals.

Weeks 6 to 8 are where a lot of "social" pack/pride skills are learned. I.E. how to get along with a litter-mate... bite-pulling... play... etc. Also, during that period, they aren't just learning from the littermate, but the mother-- i.e. what hurts and what doesn't.. what is acceptable behavior. I think you are wise to reconsider 6 weeks and go for 8 if you are letting them go.

Also, you can safely neuter or spay a cat at 8 weeks and you can't ensure that at 6 -- it's too early.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If we decide to find homes for some of the kittens, it won't be until they are 12 weeks old. We are thinking we want to keep all four --- they are just having way too much fun together!

I hope being without their mommy for two days while she is being spayed won't bother them --- I have a feeling she will be bothered more than they will. She has to hunt them down to try to nurse them now and even if she can get one or two to nurse, it only lasts for a minute or two. They are ready to be weaned -- not sure mommy wants it to stop.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Boy, that's the exception. LOL. I have only had one queen who had an accidental litter of one kitten before I spayed her and she called the weaning shots. She couldn't wait to get that over with. Laughing again.

• carmen_grower_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know calliope!! Everyone has said that the mommy will reject them and then the weaning will happen. Not in this case! But then --- my daughter had a friend who was still nursing her 4 yr. old child. GROSS!!!

• TheQuirkykitty meow
    4 years ago

I raised seven liters of kittens and they do just fine i by themselves at six weeks . People say oh they are still sucking from momma the kittens will continue to do so as long as the milk is available. My kittens would suck from my cat and then turn around and eat her food to at six weeks. They dont change much at all between six and eight weeks . I had a kitten for myself that I received when she was six weeks old the weird thing was she would suck on anything soft she can get a hold of while she sleeps . This behavior happened through out her whole life though so it’s probably just a quirk. You can choose to wait until whenever you want really but six weeks is an okay time especially since they are supposed to get their first round of shots then anyway . So if you can give a kitten a shot you should be okay to give them a home .

• Sylvia Gordon
    4 years ago

They nurse on blankets Etc to comfort themselves because they have been taken away from their mother too early.

• SaltiDawg
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Nearly NINE year old thread! Yikes!

I live inMontgomery County, MD, in the Suburbs of DC. IT IS AGAINST THE LAW HERE TO GIVE AWAY OR SELL A KITTEN OR PUPPY BEFORE EIGHT WEEKS OF AGE.

As a respected Dog Breeder in the past, it was twelve weeks for me... three Vet visits and shots.