Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

i might be fostering this guy

Ninapearl
13 years ago

this is "bentley"...

he is 4 and was returned to great dane rescue by his adoptive family because he is a fence jumper. apparently, they left him alone for hour after endless hour. what did they expect?? *sigh*

i don't have fence other than the underground fence that goes all the way across my end of the farm. my other 2 dane girls respect it and are very good about not testing the boundary. i am hopeful that i can convince bentley that there is no reason to bolt...lots of good food, lots of love, lots of couch time and 2 other ginormous dogs to keep him company. :)

i realize this will take a lot of time and dedication on my part but i there is something about this boy that keeps reeling me in! the rescue folks have agreed to bring him to the farm and spend a few hours with us. it'll be another 2 or 3 weeks, probably.

wish us luck!

Comments (22)

• michael_so_fl
    13 years ago

I do wish you luck, he looks like he needs a friend.

• debbiep_gw
    13 years ago

I do wish you luck.Maybe he won't think the grass is greener on the other side.He is very pretty..

• christine1950
    13 years ago

I wish you the best of luck also, he has a sad look in his eyes, I think he will find his forever home with you and your family. He's going to be so happy with your other fur babies..
    Christine
    P.S. Please keep us posted

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

People are such idiots .. I'd jump a fence too if left alone for hours! LOL!

He looks like he'll fit right in, and will probably be really happy to have not one, but 2 girls to play with.

Good luck with him ...

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, all. yes, i think it's his sad eyes that draw me to him. the head of rescue is out of town this week so i will wait to hear back from her if it's a "go".

christine, are you reading my mind? LOL! if he does end up here and if he does do well, i can see me being a miserable foster failure!

• christine1950
    13 years ago

Nina, my rottie was to be a foster and after 2 days she was a keeper, I fell in love in the first few hours of her being with me. I was a foster failure too LOL... I'm so excited for you :>)

• mazer415
    13 years ago

Ohhhh a heating blanket that gives kisses - nice!!!!

• Lily316
    13 years ago

What a sad sweetie. Go for it..Good luck.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

before i commit myself 100%, i am going to talk to a couple of behaviorists as well as the trainer who worked with me and the girls on the underground fence training. if i get some good vibes, i will pursue this.

my main concern, besides bentley deciding to head for parts unknown, is that he could impart this idea to ashley and pea which would NOT be a good thing. they have been 100% reliable with the underground fence and i want to keep it that way!

i'll know more next week when i talk to the head of rescue and learn a little more about his background, etc. i'll keep you posted. ;)

• cindyandmocha
    13 years ago

lol Nina, you are screwed. Those sad eyes do us in every time -- that's why I have Rusty. He was a fence "climber" not "jumper" - he can climb chain link like a monkey (or could in in younger years). I think having a pack reeled him in. He is happy now here with us.

Note, there have been more than a few times when he's either opened the front door (yes, he can do that), and escaped to the non-fenced front yard. He's been out there overnight several times and waits right outside wanting right back in. Apparently he likes being in here :)

Replacing the chain link with privacy fence for a half acre back yard was NOT cheap, but he was worth it.

You might have found that right new addition! keep us posted.

• soinspired
    13 years ago

Bless you Nina! We have two rescues we've only had for 1 year now. They are just adorable and follow us wherever we go. Great gardening companions too. We love them dearly and they love us too!

• arlosmom
    13 years ago

Bently is beautiful!!! I love great danes.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

could you guys all contact rescue and put a good word in for us? LOL

i will let you know what happens. some days i think i shouldn't rock the boat but what the heck. i live alone, have plenty of time to devote and God knows, since losing my corgi kids, i have a little corner of my heart that another dog could help fill up. :)

• kim_okla
    13 years ago

I was a rotten foster mom. The first time I got lucky and no one inquired. I had Buddy 12-13 years. The second time, the night I was to deliver Roxy I was sobbing. The rescue group said you do have first dibs of keeping her. So I did. I offered to pay for the next dog the family picked. It worked out that they weren't really ready for a dog.

This is Roxy. I call her a Notweiller

Bently is handsome dude. I hope you get him.

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

roxy is adorable! did you tell her to say "cheese" or does she always smile when you're taking her picture? ;)

• kim_okla
    13 years ago

LOL I think I was asking her about all the new holes in the yard. See her little tail blurring, she was pleased with herself.

• cindyandmocha
    13 years ago

chuckle at "notweiller"

• christine1950
    13 years ago

No news yet???

• Ninapearl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i'm loading up the girls in a couple of hours and heading to st. louis TODAY! i have everything ready...crate set up in the bedroom *check*, 3rd feeding station *check*, long line for bentley to drag around till he's dependable, *check*, extra collar/leash, *check*, a gallon of water from home for the girls *check*, ashley's boots in case, weather permitting, we can walk the 3 of them together, *check*, directions to the nearest kentucky fried chicken because i am providing lunch for the humans *check*...i think i have it all!

if bentley returns home with us, there will be lots of pics to follow!

wish us luck!!! :D

• weed30 St. Louis
    13 years ago

Good luck!

• christine1950
    13 years ago

You dont need luck Nina, your heart is what you have to prove what a good Mommie you are. I cant wait to see pictures of Bentley in his NEW FOREVER HOME !!!!!!! Yipppppeeeee Doing a happy dance for Bentley :>)

• kim_okla
    13 years ago

Can't wait for pics.