Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A few puppy raising questions

Posted by debbiep (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 11:28

Our temps have reached a 100 this week and with temps like that we have severe thunderstorms so I borrowed a crate so Annabelle can stay inside to.She seems to be a very smart pup.She goes in the crate at 9:00 pm and I've taken her out at 12:30 and then again at 4:15.We get up at 4:15(husband leaves for work)so my dogs are accustomed to that time 7 days a week)Will I be able to drop the 12:30 potty break or should I continue it for a while,what do others do?How long should I expect her to hold it?Also at what age can she have a rabies shot?What age does she start heartworm prevention?I think she is between 8 and 12 weeks old.She has already had her first set of shots that we gave her ourselves.She will be spayed also at the age when they will do it.I have raised a basset from puppyhood but you can't compare that experience with this one.If anyone has raised a hound dog they will know what I mean.Very stubborn dogs.TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A few puppy raising questions

I wouldn't drop the frequency from every 3 hours to every 7 hours;
maybe start by taking her out at 1 for a few days, then at 1:30, etc.

How long dogs can "hold it" varies greatly;
you'll just have to learn what you can expect from her.

don't know the timing of vaccines;
it's been too many years since I've had a puppy.

Maybe Meghane will pop in pretty soon.

One of my oldest friends has had Bassetts as long as I've known her (we met at a Rolling Stones concert in 1965; she tells people she wasn't really a teen-ager, she was a very precocious 5-year-old!), & she would agree;
hounds are indeed stubborn!

but Annabelle looks like a Lab mix, & they're eager-to-please as well as smart;
I think you'll be delighted with how she learns.

o

A general rule of thumb is that a dog can hold it 1 hour each month of age up until 6 months old. After that, you should be able to expect an all day hold.

However, consider what you would do. I can hold it all day myself but I don't find it comfortable.

o

As far as the shots are concerned, your vet will be able to help you there. If you don't have a vet, your local animal shelter should be able to help you. It used to be that spaying was done at 6 months, but I think it is being done earlier than that now.

o

Distemper/parvo vaccines are every 3 weeks until puppy is 18 weeks old. Your vet will know which other vaccines are needed in your area (lepto, parainfluenza, bordetella, hepatitis, etc). Rabies vaccine requirements vary by state; obviously your vet will know the law. Heartworm prevention starts at 6 weeks. Deworming is every 2-3 weeks for at least 2 rounds. Physical exam is important at 6-8 weeks and at least again at last vaccines to make sure there are no congenital defects etc. Spay is before first heat cycle to prevent breast cancer later in life. For most hounds, that means spay at 4-6 months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here