Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
petra, question about asthma meds

Posted by sduck2 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 12, 09 at 11:03

Petra, I have "Mary" on 10 mg of prednisone pill once a day starting in the spring and lasting until the end of fall. We assume it is seasonal allergies since the snowy winter months she has no symptoms. She is extremely overweight so I think I need to find an alternative method before I run into the diabetes problem. I'm very interested in getting more information on the aminophylline.

Can she recieve a daily pill or an injection? I am at work during the day and I'm afraid I won't be home if she had an attack. She's suffered from this for 3 years now, and her only "attack" is wheezing so far. She has ilbuteral in the cabinet for emergencies but she's not a fan of the inhaler.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: petra, question about asthma meds

Hmm, I just checked Minnie's prescription and the label says "give 1/4 tab by mouth twice daily". But the vet told me to just give it to her if she coughs more than a couple times over a few hours. She rarely has asthma attacks now, but she used to have really bad ones while she was on the steroid shots, as soon as the shots would wear off.

I also have asthma and have tried the albuterol on her, it's impossible to administer. There IS an inhaler system for cats, called Aerokat inhaler. That was going to be our next move in case the Aminophylline didn't work, but as it is working so well, Aerokat hasn't been necessary.

o
RE: petra, question about asthma meds

Forgot to add, they are 100 mg tabs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here