Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat had kittens and I have questions

Posted by carla17 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 10:23

Our cat had two kittens Thursday. One seems to have trouble finding/staying on nipple. It does not seem to be growing like the other one. I know you are not supposed to compare kids and kittens but I am mildly concerned. I'm thinking of buying some supplemental kitten milk. Any suggestions about this decision? I know I could take the kitten to the dr. to get it weighed but I would like to avoid that if possible for financial sake.
Thank you for your help.

Carla

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat had kittens and I have questions

If you have a postal scale you can weigh the kitten yourself.

However, this young, and not latching, could indicate a problem. At least CALL the vet. If the newborn is not getting sufficient nourishment it's SUFFERING.

o

You could get some KMR from the pet store to supplement the little one (and a tiny nursing bottle). But you might end up completely feeding it if it stops nursing completely. This can take up some time. The KMR isn't too expensive in the beginning, but as the kitten takes more, it costs more, obviously. Is this one as active as the other? Have you watched it nurse? Can you tell when the stronger one is full by its tummy? If so, check the other to see if it seems full.

Just some ideas. I nursed 3 kitties many years ago.

o

Hereball, thank you. I am on top of this.
Socks, I once raised a kitty whose mother died so I'm not new to this. We bought some KRM, can't get smaller one or for that matter, larger one to drink it. We have seen it nurse from mother and can hear the sucking noise. Just like what you mentioned,if I can successfully bottle nurse it may stop nursing completely and I prefer not to have that happen. I'll just give the rest of KMR to the mother. This one may just be a runt, I don't know but I am keeping close watch, the box is located near all of our bedrooms. I appreciate your reply. I guess at this point, it's just a watch and see situation. I am not as freaked out as I was.

Thank you,
Carla

o

Hereball, thank you. I am on top of this.
Socks, I once raised a kitty whose mother died so I'm not new to this. We bought some KRM, can't get smaller one or for that matter, larger one to drink it. We have seen it nurse from mother and can hear the sucking noise. Just like what you mentioned,if I can successfully bottle nurse it may stop nursing completely and I prefer not to have that happen. I'll just give the rest of KMR to the mother. This one may just be a runt, I don't know but I am keeping close watch, the box is located near all of our bedrooms. I appreciate your reply. I guess at this point, it's just a watch and see situation. I am not as freaked out as I was.

Thank you,
Carla

o

Maybe the little one will catch up later. If you're observing successful nursing I think it should be okay. I haul in feral kits for taming and often find one significatnly smaller than the others. They're all about the same by the time they reach 8 weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here