Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carla17_gw

Cat had kittens and I have questions

carla17
13 years ago

Our cat had two kittens Thursday. One seems to have trouble finding/staying on nipple. It does not seem to be growing like the other one. I know you are not supposed to compare kids and kittens but I am mildly concerned. I'm thinking of buying some supplemental kitten milk. Any suggestions about this decision? I know I could take the kitten to the dr. to get it weighed but I would like to avoid that if possible for financial sake.

Thank you for your help.

Carla

Comments (5)

• harebelle
    13 years ago

If you have a postal scale you can weigh the kitten yourself.

However, this young, and not latching, could indicate a problem. At least CALL the vet. If the newborn is not getting sufficient nourishment it's SUFFERING.

• socks
    13 years ago

You could get some KMR from the pet store to supplement the little one (and a tiny nursing bottle). But you might end up completely feeding it if it stops nursing completely. This can take up some time. The KMR isn't too expensive in the beginning, but as the kitten takes more, it costs more, obviously. Is this one as active as the other? Have you watched it nurse? Can you tell when the stronger one is full by its tummy? If so, check the other to see if it seems full.

Just some ideas. I nursed 3 kitties many years ago.

• carla17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hereball, thank you. I am on top of this.
    Socks, I once raised a kitty whose mother died so I'm not new to this. We bought some KRM, can't get smaller one or for that matter, larger one to drink it. We have seen it nurse from mother and can hear the sucking noise. Just like what you mentioned,if I can successfully bottle nurse it may stop nursing completely and I prefer not to have that happen. I'll just give the rest of KMR to the mother. This one may just be a runt, I don't know but I am keeping close watch, the box is located near all of our bedrooms. I appreciate your reply. I guess at this point, it's just a watch and see situation. I am not as freaked out as I was.

Thank you,
    Carla

• carla17
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hereball, thank you. I am on top of this.
    Socks, I once raised a kitty whose mother died so I'm not new to this. We bought some KRM, can't get smaller one or for that matter, larger one to drink it. We have seen it nurse from mother and can hear the sucking noise. Just like what you mentioned,if I can successfully bottle nurse it may stop nursing completely and I prefer not to have that happen. I'll just give the rest of KMR to the mother. This one may just be a runt, I don't know but I am keeping close watch, the box is located near all of our bedrooms. I appreciate your reply. I guess at this point, it's just a watch and see situation. I am not as freaked out as I was.

Thank you,
    Carla

• harebelle
    13 years ago

Maybe the little one will catch up later. If you're observing successful nursing I think it should be okay. I haul in feral kits for taming and often find one significatnly smaller than the others. They're all about the same by the time they reach 8 weeks.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!