Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anicee_gw

Dog Toys for a hunting dog (!!!)

anicee
12 years ago

I have 3 dogs...2 mixed breeds adopted at shelters and 1 just recently adopted from the SPCA, a Griffon de Korthals. I posted before on him (title of the post was Adopting a dog...wrong breed or not). Now my older dog doesn't bother with toys. The other one loves to play with various balls, my Griffon is about 3 years old, loves also to play with balls and he is very playfull so what would be the best toys to give to a hunting dog, keeping in mind I will never hunt with him and do not want to encourage this behaviour.

I know it is not to respect what the dog was bred to become but I have rescued him because he is a very demanding dog and I knew the dog and was afraid he was going to go to the wrong people because of his looks and want the best for him but also for my other dogs and 11 cats. He loves going for brisk walks and believe you me, he walks a lot and within a few days was able to make him walk next to me. Very pleasant dog to go for long walks with.

Furthermore, I will be moving to the country and I am looking at a house with 9 acres and I want to eventually be able to leave Murdoch off leash and him to come back when I call him. My other 2 listen very well.

I know squeeky toys awaken the prey instinct in the dogs but Griffons have a soft mouth like Labrador Retrievers.

Thank you!

Anicee

Comments (3)

• mazer415
    12 years ago

Griffons are great dogs. You are right they require alot of attention. First thing to do after you move is to leash walk him. Hope your move goes well.
    I have a unique way to help you and your dog bond together. It requires a wooded area and a friend.
    Go out for a walk with your friend and your dog (on leaash) when your dog is not paying attention - go hide behind a tree. Dont make any noise. No matter what. Have your friend say "wheres Anicee?" in a higher pitched voice. She should do this at least a couple of times to re-encourage your dog to look for you. The second he finds you, praise him like he just brought you a paper bag full of hundred dollar bills. Do this when he is not paying attention to you. It can take anywhere from 3 times to three weeks (usually it takes less time) and it makes your dog start to watch you and where you are instead of you having to always watch him and where he is.
    The biggest concern I have in walking him off leash if that is your goal is his prey drive, a slight squeek from a squirrel and he would be off. SO your best bet in toys is something not furry and not with a squeek. Many hunting dog owners buy tennis balls and bumpers. They are long sausage like looking toys that hunters use to train their dogs to retrieve birds. They come mostly in white yellow and orange. You can buy them from Cabelas.
    You can also train your dog to come back to you by purchasing an 8 foot leash, and when ever you toss a ball or something else, call him back and reward him when he does come back. If he runs off DONT CHASE HIM, turn and walk away from him or grab one of your other dogs and start paying attention to the other dog - most dogs are insanely jealous of an owner not paying attnetion to them, especially young ones and your dog should come back to you within a minute or so.
    Hope all works out, let us know how it goes, good luck

• anicee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Mazer, this is great advice. You write this:
    'The biggest concern I have in walking him off leash if that is your goal is his prey drive"
    You know what? It's not my goal because I would never let him off leash but I think it's not reasonable to do so just because I am a mother hen and a big worrier and would go nuts if I would lose him. Do you think it's unfair from my part not to let him run off leash eventually so he can spend his energy and imagine I will be buying a house with a few acres.

Here, I walk him a lot everyday and I started training him in my backyard with a long leash. I play ball with him and he gets very playful and I ask him to come 'au pied' which means to come next to me and sit and if he doesn't do it, I give a strong pull on the leash so he snaps out of what he's doing with the ball and make him come towards me and I make him sit next to me. Then I take the ball away from him and just walk heel with him around the house and every 20 feet tell him Stay, Sit...and all this training tires him because when he comes back in the house he's quiet. I live near a nice lake so yesterday I brought him there and he was on a long 20' lead and I walked in the water with him so he could swim and he enjoyed it so much.
    When I researched the breed I read this that I find amusing because it's so true:
    'The good thing about a Griffon is that you get to have a puppy a long time and the bad thing about a Griffon is that you get to have a puppy a long time.'

Anicee

• pamghatten
    12 years ago

LOL!

'The good thing about a Griffon is that you get to have a puppy a long time and the bad thing about a Griffon is that you get to have a puppy a long time.'

Sounds just like my smooth coated collie mix, Rocky!