Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

Pyrethrin-based flea preventative not working

ritaweeda
11 years ago

For the first time we are seeing fleas on our dog. We've been using a pyrethrin-based product. It has kept her flea-free for a year but isn't working anymore. We last treated her a week ago. Since it isn't working is it ok to use a different medication on her with fipronil, or do we have to wait another 3 weeks? I heard on the radio that the fleas may become resistant to one type of chemical and you might have to switch to another, but don't want to do something that will hurt the dog.

Comments (8)

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your info. Now I can decide to apply it if I want. But now I'm hesitant because the pyrethrin might be working as it should, just not quick enough for me. I did treat the immediate yard yesterday, although I can't treat the whole 5 acres, so don't know how effective that will be. I concentrated on the areas where she lies most heavily, especially the plant beds near the house. I am going to sprinkle the house with borax tonight and leave it overnight. Up to the last week, we have been experiencing drought and someone said that is a factor, don't know for sure. But this is the first time we've seen fleas on her. As for the ticks, the woods are full of them all the time. I have to check her every day. Don't know if they are dog ticks or deer ticks, but the pyrethrin doesn't prevent them from attaching.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

My dogs are 13 and have been on Frontline Plus most of their lives. I do not treat the yard. The benefits from not having ticks or fleas far surpasses any minute risks from the Frontline.
    I would apply the Frontline Plus- and it could take several months to break the flea cycle- and if your dog has no obvious side effects, continue with it.
    For me, if I go much over the 30 days, I can tell, the dogs start scratching, and they never do that.

I am careful how I apply- the dogs haven't been bathed for at least 4 days and I don't bath them for at least 3 after applying.

I'm all for natural remedies, if they work!

• lzrddr
    11 years ago

I treat my own dogs with Frontline when they need it.. which is maybe 2-3x a year... products these days work so well that pre-emptive treatments are not so important (unless you live in flea central or have a dog/cat with severe flea allergies). I find, like Bumblebeez, that just treating my pets takes care of the whole yard problem at the same time, as the pets, with Frontline on them, act like flea magnets and eventually wander the entire yard, attracting all available fleas, and eventually they are all gone. So I may treat my pets during an 'outbreak' for 1-2 months, maybe 3 in a row, and problem is over with... but I do not live in a super hot, humid climate like the southeast, where flea problems can quickly get out of control if you treat them so casually.

Tick control is more of a challenge chemically, but there is a collar called preventic (NOT for cats!) that is probably the single most effective preventative for tick control on the market now. It can be used along with Frontline for even better control, but in an overwhelming tick infestation problem, you will still find ticks on your pets often. Ticks, thanks to their much larger size, are more resistant to toxins.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

Where are you located, Rita?

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm in West Central Florida. Up till a week ago we were in a drought situation, don't know if that was the cause. We live on a wooded 5-acre property, fenced in from other dogs. But there are dogs on the adjoining properties. Plenty of deer, racoons, coyotes, etc. around, though.

• Oldprincess
    9 years ago

Organic diatomaceous earth is safe, non toxic, inexpensive and will keep all your pets and your home free of insects. No ants or silver fish, no spiders, no bugs whatsoever! We have three large hairy dogs and three cats and no pests. Every six months I sprinkle organic DE under pillow and chair sofas and that is enough to prevent all insects from attacking our pets. Once a month in summer I also add a teaspoon of DE to the dog and cat coats for extra insurance.
    I bought organic DE to prevent lice on chickens years ago and have never had to buy insecticides since.

• StarZara
    9 years ago

Activly plus do anyone know if this will be goo for large dogs and a 8 week
    old puppy? Please Help. I live in Zone 9 Tampa, Florida

This post was edited by StarZara on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 13:18