Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A little nervous about dogsitting a tiny dog

Posted by freezetag (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 10, 10 at 6:49

I have a 25 lb Wheaten terrier, and am dogsitting a 3 lb Maltese/Yorkie puppy this weekend. They are both very playful, but I'm nervous about letting them play together. My dog has been gentle so far, but they've only spent 15 - 20 min together.

When my dog was a puppy, she played with a Doberman mix without incident BUT my mom's Westie puppy broke his leg playing with the neighbor's Lab.

Any guidelines or useful advice? I could just keep them separated all weekend, but I think they would be happier if they had some time together. Just not sure my nerves can take it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A little nervous about dogsitting a tiny dog

as long as you are right there to supervise and make sure things don't get too intense, you'll be fine. i'd let them play together but when you're busy with other stuff and can't be right there to watch them, keep them separated.

can you stop your terrier with certain commands when you think she's getting too rough? have fun!!

o
RE: A little nervous about dogsitting a tiny dog

I agree. Take them for a good 45 minute leash walk every morning afternoon and evening to wear them out a bit then maybe they wont be so rough with each other, although there is no guarantee. When my pup was younger he and another dog the same size were playing, she was a greyhound dobie mix and liked to twirl, She was twirling bumped up against my pup and snapped her ankle bone in half which had to be surgically pinned....poor thing. The whole thing happened in seconds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here