Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dally2013

Pls help! My dog is shaking/trembling

dally2013
10 years ago

Hi all. I have a 4 year old dalmatian girl who recently has started shaking and trembling first thing in the morning. When I take her out to do her stuff she won't leave my side. Her tail is stationary and down between her legs. It is only in the morning that she does this. In the afternoon/evenings she is fine. She eats every day and rarely leaves a crumb. She has plenty of drinking water and gets walked before and after work then before bed too. She sleeps in the bedroom on her own bed but when I bring her back to the house in the morning she runs to it and lies down as if she knows she's done something wrong. I've tried to convince her that she isn't in trouble without reinforcing the very behaviour that I'm trying to stop. She gets fed every day at 5.30pm.

Comments (10)

• christine1950
    10 years ago

You need to call your vet, I always feed my dog 3x's a day. If your only feeding once a day maybe thats the problem....

• trancegemini_wa
    10 years ago

I know someone who owned a dalmation and aparently they are a bit sensitive to shaking, they have a sensitive nervous system or something. I would just take her to the vet and get her checked out but she may just be a bit nervous or overexcited in the morning.

edit, I do agree with the previous post though, even if it doesn't have anything to do with the shaking, I prefer to feed twice a day (you can cut it down to smaller portions) but for an animal to go 24 hours without food is not ideal in my opinion because they will be very hungry and low on energy during the day after so long without food. My dogs get quite a few snacks during the day as well between breakfast and dinner.

This post was edited by trancegemini_wa on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 7:34

• socks
    10 years ago

Do you have animals entering your yard at night, like raccoons, coyotes, skunks, etc.? Could be she smells them and is fearful.

It's hard to imagine the feeding is connected with her fearful reaction, but personally I like to feed the dog twice a day. Maybe she would have a more positive feeling about the a.m. trip outside if she gets "breakfast."

This post was edited by socks12345 on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 10:52

• alisande
    10 years ago

A friend's Dalmatian was sensitive to loud noises. Do you have a school bus rattling by in the morning? Is your dog like this on weekends as well as weekdays? If not, maybe she's reacting to some sort of vehicle during the morning commute.

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Her trembling could be related to the afternoon feeding if she's has a buildup of bile/stomach acids from an empty stomach. To avoid future, or current, digestive problems, feed her more than once.

• dally2013
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all thanks for the advice. We live in a very quiet area. No traffic and our grounds are completely enclosed so no animals. I will try switching to smaller portions more often to see if that helps before I take her to the vet.

• calliope
    10 years ago

fences do not keep out things like coons or groundhogs, squirrels or chipmunks. But, that being said I would also look at the feeding schedule first, just in case the shaking is caused by low blood sugar. It can mimic all sorts of crazy things.

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

Could this be a separation anxiety thing? Could she be anticipating that you will be getting ready to leave and she will be alone all day?

Dalmatians are prone to a few things - uric acid problems and kidney stones (unless she is one of Dr. SchaibleâÂÂs line of Dals), deafness, and hypothyroidism. I just can't think of anything about any of those illnesses that might lead to this behavior. Of course, I am no veterinarian. If giving her food in the morning does not help, I would suggest that you get her a check up. If she is okay, and if the return from her walk is followed by you getting ready for work and leaving, then read up on separation anxiety and see if you can find anything to help her.

• pawprints6
    10 years ago

Hi, I was wondering if you had found out what the problem with your dalmatian was yet or if the shaking had stopped?

i have a male dalmatian who is nearly 5 and he has started with the same symptoms! He only seems to shake in the morning and this stops after his walk. He's eating and drinking fine and runs like a lunatic when out walking! He too goes to his bed after walkies, he doesn't look like he has done anything wrong but just seems very lethargic all the time.

He's fed 3 times a day and is on hills U/D food as he suffered with bladder stones when younger. He's been seen by the vet 3 times in the last week for this but doesn't shake when there and behaves normally! They have ruled out the bladder stones issue as he is urinating fine and after a sample was tested its all normal (well normal for him). We did find a small lump on his chest which the vet has taken a sample from and sent for analysis but he doesn't seem bothered by the lump and the vet thinks the symptoms are not linked.

He has never suffered with separation anxiety before and when I am at work my brother is home with him, so he is basically never left alone for more than an hour tops!

I'm really baffled with this problem as are the vets he's seeing! So I just was hoping you might have got some answers!?

Any help would be much appreciated! Of course I will let u know if my vets figure out what's going on with him.

Thanks in advance.

• Jock Jensen
    3 years ago

I know this thread 6 years old, but it popped up when iI searched similar problems for my 4 year old Dalmatian.

I believe that separation anxiety is the most likely culprit.

Hoping for an update from anyone?