Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katclaws_mo

Are OTC Frontline Plus different than from a Vet?

katclaws_mo
13 years ago

Is there a difference whether FrontlinePlus is bought OTC at a pet store, online or from a Vet? The packaging looks identical. Aren't they all made from the same manufacturer? TIA

Comments (16)

• calliope
    13 years ago

I would think the biggest concern is that you purchase from a reputable source to make sure you are receiving the product you think you are buying. IOW counterfeit products have been finding their way into the marketplace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Environmental Protection Agency Website

• cindyandmocha
    13 years ago

Yes, they are different. OTC (over the counter) is VERY different from a perscription from your vet.

Over the counter is like buying a heartz flea collar and hoping it will work. Prescription is different and stronger.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    13 years ago

I don't agree with annz. I bought Frontline from a pet store and it turned out to be counterfeit. My dogs went through a terrible time with fleas multiplying like mad. I took them to the vet and she was appalled and wanted to know if I'd gotten it from them. I told her where I got it and she said if I had gotten it from them and had a problem, they could have exchanged the product and looked into the problem. I would never buy from a pet store again. It isn't worth it!!!

• Terrapots
    13 years ago

I got some from the internet, referred from a TV ad and it worked just as well as the vet's. Cat is indoor so I gave the extras away as according to the vet, the fleas will jump the cat and die and eventually there will be no more to infest the cat unless you have visiting outdoor pets. Credit card purchases also offer some protection against counterfeits if you can report the problem right away.

• cindyandmocha
    13 years ago

BTW.. you CANNOT buy frontline plus without a perscription. You just can't.

If someone is selling you that without a perscription, then it is NOT frontlineplus.

• cynthia_gw
    13 years ago

Cindy, Your information is incorrect. A prescription is not required for Frontline Plus. Many reputable online suppliers sell it, and it's completely legal to do so as it's an over the counter medication. Vets stock Flea products as a convenience to their customers and for profit. Frontline Plus is typically NOT sold in pet stores, and that is likely the manufacturer's marketing decision.

To the original poster's question: Frontline Plus sold by a vet should be exactly the same as Frontline Plus purchased from any reliable vendor. Some good vendors are Entirely Pets, Omaha Vaccine, Foster and Smith. There are others.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Our Lowes now sells Frontline but it's still cheaper for me from my vet.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

In years past I ordered online from Australia but this year got it from Canada and it came quickly. With two dogs and five cats, I need to find the best price.

• cindyandmocha
    13 years ago

Cynthia, I stand corrected. I checked Frontline's website. It did use to be prescription only, but is not now. Heck, I may be a convert if I can get it cheaper. Three 100 lb dogs are not cheap on the frontline front.

Why are FRONTLINE Brand Products only available through my veterinarian?
    It is Merial's sales policy to sell our small animal products only where a veterinarian/client/patient relationship exists. Merial believes that the veterinarian is the only professional qualified to serve the health care needs of pets, the concerns of their owners and the appropriate use of our small animal products such as FRONTLINE Brand Products.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

For smaller dogs, it's cheaper to use a larger dosage and split it.
    I do this with my two 20 poundish dogs. Use one package, make a line on it with a sharpie and have dh hold the dogs while it's applied.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

Good advice. With two 24 pound dogs, I'll try that. With cats I just wonder. I get the same product for all cats although I have a 6 pound one going up to a 21 pound one. That doesn't seem right.

• pushomikuor
    13 years ago

"For smaller dogs, it's cheaper to use a larger dosage and split it.
    I do this with my two 20 poundish dogs"

I agree with you completely. That is what I do with my dogs as well :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Information on Dogs

• SaltiDawg
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

cindyandmocha,

Your info is over twenty years old. Frontline is and has been available from Marial thru Vets AND on-line from various vendors for decades.

It is manufactured in France, so be careful of your advice re buying from Canada or France or elsewhere.

The issue is their patent protection lapsed a number of years ago so that you can get the same two drugs in the same dosage and similar packaging as Frontline by Merial. It requires some due diligence, but I have used Pet Armor Plus for a few years via Amazon at a considerable dollar saving.

YMMV

• Paul Wegman
    5 years ago

Its the same. People think it fake but its manufactured outside of USA. Its same but without a RX.