Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are OTC Frontline Plus different than from a Vet?

Posted by katclaws_mo (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 26, 10 at 0:31

Is there a difference whether FrontlinePlus is bought OTC at a pet store, online or from a Vet? The packaging looks identical. Aren't they all made from the same manufacturer? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are OTC Frontline Plus different than from a Vet?

I would think the biggest concern is that you purchase from a reputable source to make sure you are receiving the product you think you are buying. IOW counterfeit products have been finding their way into the marketplace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Environmental Protection Agency Website

o

Yes, they are different. OTC (over the counter) is VERY different from a perscription from your vet.

Over the counter is like buying a heartz flea collar and hoping it will work. Prescription is different and stronger.

o

OTC Frontline and Advantage and what you get from the vet are usually the same. If you read the article calliope linked to you'll find it's not that difficult to identify the counterfeit pesticide.

I buy from pet stores and recently bought a supply from Costco. If you examine the packaging you can usually determine if it's counterfeit.

o

I don't agree with annz. I bought Frontline from a pet store and it turned out to be counterfeit. My dogs went through a terrible time with fleas multiplying like mad. I took them to the vet and she was appalled and wanted to know if I'd gotten it from them. I told her where I got it and she said if I had gotten it from them and had a problem, they could have exchanged the product and looked into the problem. I would never buy from a pet store again. It isn't worth it!!!

o

I got some from the internet, referred from a TV ad and it worked just as well as the vet's. Cat is indoor so I gave the extras away as according to the vet, the fleas will jump the cat and die and eventually there will be no more to infest the cat unless you have visiting outdoor pets. Credit card purchases also offer some protection against counterfeits if you can report the problem right away.

o

BTW.. you CANNOT buy frontline plus without a perscription. You just can't.

If someone is selling you that without a perscription, then it is NOT frontlineplus.

o

Cindy, Your information is incorrect. A prescription is not required for Frontline Plus. Many reputable online suppliers sell it, and it's completely legal to do so as it's an over the counter medication. Vets stock Flea products as a convenience to their customers and for profit. Frontline Plus is typically NOT sold in pet stores, and that is likely the manufacturer's marketing decision.

To the original poster's question: Frontline Plus sold by a vet should be exactly the same as Frontline Plus purchased from any reliable vendor. Some good vendors are Entirely Pets, Omaha Vaccine, Foster and Smith. There are others.

o

Our Lowes now sells Frontline but it's still cheaper for me from my vet.

o

In years past I ordered online from Australia but this year got it from Canada and it came quickly. With two dogs and five cats, I need to find the best price.

o

Cynthia, I stand corrected. I checked Frontline's website. It did use to be prescription only, but is not now. Heck, I may be a convert if I can get it cheaper. Three 100 lb dogs are not cheap on the frontline front.

Why are FRONTLINE Brand Products only available through my veterinarian?
It is Merial's sales policy to sell our small animal products only where a veterinarian/client/patient relationship exists. Merial believes that the veterinarian is the only professional qualified to serve the health care needs of pets, the concerns of their owners and the appropriate use of our small animal products such as FRONTLINE Brand Products.

o

For smaller dogs, it's cheaper to use a larger dosage and split it.
I do this with my two 20 poundish dogs. Use one package, make a line on it with a sharpie and have dh hold the dogs while it's applied.

o

Good advice. With two 24 pound dogs, I'll try that. With cats I just wonder. I get the same product for all cats although I have a 6 pound one going up to a 21 pound one. That doesn't seem right.

o

"For smaller dogs, it's cheaper to use a larger dosage and split it.
I do this with my two 20 poundish dogs"

I agree with you completely. That is what I do with my dogs as well :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Information on Dogs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here