Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
des_arc_ya_ya

Runny Eyes in a Stray Kitten

des_arc_ya_ya
14 years ago

Picked up a two week old kitten today as a foster baby from the shelter. I've had kittens with runny eyes before and have used a warm, wet cloth with a VERY diluted salt water to clean their eyes. This baby has one that is running GREEN! (sorry!)

Any things that you've tried that worked? TIA

Comments (16)

• sephia
    14 years ago

Doesn't green usually indicate an infection?

• petaloid
    14 years ago

A vet can give you ointment for the eye infection -- those are very common in kittens, especially strays.

Thank you so much for fostering the kitten.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I had already decided before I came here this morning to take her by and let the vet look at her. Think I'm dealing with more than just runny eyes by looking at her this morning.

• carmen_grower_2007
    14 years ago

I use 'Clear Eyes' on my pets when this is a problem. It clears the vision immediately and the runny eyes clear up within days. Pets get infections just as we do and all living things have a natural immune system just for that purpose.

Use it or lose it. Too many treatments (antibiotics) kill the good guys right along with the bad. Vets/doctors are great for emergencies but give self-heal a chance.

• trekaren
    14 years ago

Carmen,

the truth is, the watery eyes can indicate an upper respiratory infection, similar to kennel cough in dogs, that can get pretty serious, especially in a neglected cat. It is found often in abandoned animals. This kitty needs meds to heal.

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

URI is very common in shelter kitties
    The usual course of action is antibiotics (even though caused by a virus, URI does respond well to Clavamox and Amoxicillin)
    Tetracycline ointment, or any other antibiotic ointment can be used for kitty's eyes

Best course of action is to try to strengthen the immune system: L-Lysine and other supplements are of great help (Nutrical, Felovite) ...Since the kitten is losing a lot of water from the body with discharge, a good idea to offer lots of wet food
    If the kitten is too congested, he might not be able to smell food - offer plenty of smelly stuff, and force feed liquid food (baby food like turkey + KMR make a good liquid shake)

Self healing is a good idea, but cant wait too long. URI can damage kitten's eyes (even cause eye loss), or progress to life threatening pneumonia

In my country, we use warm tea for washing infected eyes for kids and small animals ...Make a little bit of strong black tea, let it cool to lukewarm, and apply with cotton ball to the eyes, to wash out all the gunk out

Olya, who dealt with a lot of URI foster kittens...
    {{!gwi}}From New babies October 2008

• Elly_NJ
    14 years ago

Watery eyes are also an indication of herpesvirus, which does not respond to the topicals or systemic antibiotics. Which is why one should always look to a vet, as you are, instead of strangers online, for medical advice.

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

In case of herpes virus, the advice from the vet will be the same: antibiotic eye ointment and L-Lysine supplement to boost the immune system...some would suggest to supplement that with oral meds, such as Clavamox

Of course, a visit to a vet is in order - but I do not see anything wrong with the OP getting more info on the board...

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

elly_nj, after reading your response on a different thread, i realized that the last message was intended for me
    i am not trying to start trouble - i am part of a rescue group in Tampa Bay - feel free to email Humane Society of Tampa Bay to confirm that - and I enjoy offering advice to people trying to rescue cats and kitties
    I not trying to suggest the OP avoids a trip to the vet - not at all , the OP already stated they will take the kitten to the vet
    So, it is all good, and my advice is not to be substituted for the advice of a vet.

Why are you not happy with my messages?
    feel free to email - i am confused what i am doing wrong!
    olyagrove at gmail

thanks!

• des_arc_ya_ya
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Started using Tetramyacine ointment on her today. They're looking better than they were this morning.

• olyagrove
    14 years ago

that is good news! Good luck with your little one - I misread your message originally as a 2 month old kitten
    2 week old one is so young...poor little thing

Best of luck

• angela_fountain_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

So nice of you to take in this kitten. as far as taking it to the vet some one posted....

Watery eyes are also an indication of herpesvirus, which does not respond to the topicals or systemic antibiotics. Which is why one should always look to a vet, as you are, instead of strangers online, for medical advice.
    it is my opinion that runng to the vet for every little thing is not in the best intrest of the pet. I do not understand why you are attacking this poor woman for asking advise i am sure she is resposible enough to take the cat to the vet if needed, just because you have a degree dose not mean you have the experience to fix the problem. My cat had runny eyes and I took her to the vet the vet tried to tell me you had feline aids, I did not buy it all he wanted was money and lots of it! Needless to say I got a second opinion, she dose not have feline aids she only had a cold! Good luck with your baby!!!!!

• Terrapots
    13 years ago

My cat was having runny eye for a couple of days and read Olyagrove's suggestion about using tea in the eye. I tried it with the plan to see the vet if it didn't help. Want to report that it took only one application and her eye was totally clear the next day. Thank you for the suggestion. She didn't appear sick except for the runny eye. I found another cat site that also recommended this treatment.

• Nirinjan
    12 years ago

Used the black tea remedy, as Olyagrove suggested, cleaned the eye for a couple of days and it cleared up nicely. Make sure to clean it with warm water and then flush the eye with the black tea. You have to keep the eye open and drip it in, as they have a second eyelid or something to that effect. As an herbalist, I was thinking to use pepperment tea, too, as it is anti-bacterial/anti-viral. Didn't need to as the black tea worked well. For a stray and no money for a vet this worked great!!!

• sylviatexas1
    12 years ago

I'm glad the black tea worked;
    I don't think I'd put any kind of mint into anyone's eye.