Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fostered kittens

Posted by swallowtail_grower (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 22:18

Hello, I foster kittens for the animal shelter here where I live and I have 5 right now very small I believe they were left on a freeway, needless to say I think they have had a very hard time just surviving. I feed them Purina kitten chow and I moisten it a bit probably about month and 1/2 old. I`m on a pension and ssi and on a tight budget. Is there anything else I can give them to build and add a bit of weight, it seems when I give them a can of moist cat food they get diarrhea and thats just to try to give them a treat.Otherwise they play and seem to be healhy.Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fostered kittens

Try goats milk. You can find it in most grocery stores, in cans - condensed

I also make chicken bouillon from cheap chicken backs or thighs and then defone the meat and mix it in - makes a nice nutritious soup kittens like

o

Try "esibilac". You can find it at pet stores. It is on a similar vein to similac for babies. Warm it in the microwave a bit, and then add it to crushed up kitten chow (crush the kitten chose with a rolling pin in a baggy).

We use to do this at the shelter for litters who's mother would refuse to nurse.

o

Does the shelter cover any costs? I suggest taking a fecal sample to a vet and having them check for worms. That may be why the kittens are not gaining weight.

To feed them canned food try adding a small amount into their wet/dry food. That way their system can adjust to it slowly. You may also want to try a different brand or type of canned food. Certain brands upset my pet's tummy where others don't.

o

You might add a little cooked rice with chicken, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here