Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

No more grooming - old dog - senile

toomuchglass
13 years ago

My little Anna has been going to the same groomer for years - Judy is just a wonderful person & groomer - every dog & cat on earth has a place in her heart . She's an older lady & just has a special connection with animals.

I took my Anna in today for a long over do haircut ... Judy was exhausted when I picked her up . Anna is my cocker/bichon mix and is just over 16 years old. Judy told me Anna can't stand still anymore & it's like trying to cut a moving target . I know . I felt bad for both of them .

Judy mentioned that Anna is showing signs of senility . I often wondered if old dogs can get this - we compared notes and sure enough ... it clicks. It's real.

Have you ever seen this in your old pets ? How did they act ? It's an act of an angel if you put up with this ! I'd love to hear your stories .

As for my Anna ... I rescued her at 1 year old from an abusive situation . She's just been a part of our family ever since. At 16 ... she can't see or hear good - she gets confused ... (SO WILL I SOON !! ) LOL

OK - I got off track ... I'd love to hear about your OLD DOGS ...

PS - here's a picture of Anna after her haircut today !

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• debd18
    13 years ago

My old dog, Dancer, is a 15 1/2 year old minpin. He's always been in pretty good health and doesn't seem to have the aches and pains most old dogs have. He can still jump high in the air for his food and it doesn't seem to hurt him. He has gone totally blind from cataracts this past winter, though, and he is struggling to find his way around.

One weird thing he has begun to do in the past year is that he obsessively drinks tons of water. I thought it was a kidney problem, but the vet ran tests and said she thinks it's in his head. She said she's seen dogs do that before for no health reason she can find. I have to intervene when he goes on one of his "camel drinks" because he'll drink until he looks like he'll explode. Maybe that's senility. He also wanders around the yard eating mulch, grass, and dirt. He never did that when he was young.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I have a senior pup who is a little difficult for the groomer also. Jenny says, "Well, pick her up in a couple of hours or so she's a bit harder to do than the others". But so far, Jenny hasn't told me she'd rather not try. She's been Annie's groomer for 9yrs.

Annie is allergic to grass which causes her to scratch whenever you pet or even touch her sometimes. Plus she has lots of "bumps", benign, so Jenny has to go slow. Throw in a little incontinence and Annie is "special". She goes to the groomer next Wednesday and I may just give Jenny an extra $5 from now on.

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

good thoughts & ideas, trancegemini!

• vicki7
    13 years ago

Our chihuahua, Winston, just passed away a month ago at age 18, and he had what I called "doggie alzheimer's". When he would get done with his business in the back yard, he would start walking back to the patio like he always did and all of a sudden stop and look around like he had forgotten where he was, then head off in the opposite direction. He would just keep going unless I stopped him. He would also walk up to a wall or corner and stand there wondering why he could not go any further. His confusion got worse and worse as time went on. I know his vision was not 100% so that could explain some of it. Maybe 2 months before he passed, he almost lost all control of his bladder and that was very difficult to deal with... I had to take him outside every 30 minutes or so, as well as putting him in his crate if I had to leave the house. He was pitiful to look at but not in any apparent pain, thank God!
    Wishing you the best with your Anna!
    Vicki

• mazer415
    13 years ago

Mine is 13. Pretty old for a Bull Mastiff mix. I worry about him getting confused or too hot or standing too long since years ago a vet mangeld one of his rear legs. I can tell he is suffering from spinal stenosis so he does not always get the message from his back end in time to do much about it....no biggie. He gets a bath at home, hates it. But he knows when he is ready, he will walk right into the shower. I just make sure I go as fast as possible. I dont bother with conditioning any more. His coat is always silky and beautiful no matter how many grass and dirt baths he takes. The only issue I have with him is stiffness in his back legs (3 surgeries) I take him on frequent short walks throughout the day and night....I let him dictate how long he wants to go and if he wants to stay out for an hour - fine, if he wants back in the van after 10 minutes - fine. His favorite thing to do is sit in the back of the van and bark at people wlaking by.

• rogerchinnici
    6 years ago

My 18 year old terrier mix (FRIZZ) has been asked not to return to one of the most highly recommended groomers in the St. Louis area due to his being somewhat aggressive. His arthritis causes him to become a "touch me not" when grooming is the objective. Otherwise he is very friendly and loving. I do not want his final year or so to be one where he's so medicated that he doesn't move but I must get him groomed and I'm too old to do anything but bathing,

myself. His feet are always an issue as well. Any suggestions?

• fourpawsonetail
    6 years ago

Hello,

I'm on my 4th dog that has gone down the road with arthritis issues.

I discovered long ago that there is a time when a dogs human simply must do things that collide with conventional wisdom. In my case about 20 years ago, I agreed to acupuncture treatment because my dog had severe hip dysplasia the jury is still out concerning positive effect (or not).

I guess my main point here is you don't ant your dog to suffer and conventional treatment has the power to prevent that to an extent. Just because your dog is on pain meds does not mean he won't be able to function. He will probably feel better.

I have considered many times (today as a matter of fact with a trip to the vet, my 12 year old Shephard needs dental surgery, she also has arthritis) that at this stage of your dogs life each moment he has with you is precious and you have the power to make his time on this earth more pleasant.

Good luck!

Mike

• annztoo
    6 years ago

Roger,

My dog also has arthritis but he is doing so much better on Gabapentin 2x day. Ask your vet about some pain meds and then consider having the groomer do a cut that requires less handling of your dog's legs. Letting his coat grow a little longer coat will require fewer grooming appts and less stress for your little guy. As my dog got older I learned that really busy groomers created a hectic atmosphere that made my dog more anxious and difficult to handle. He now goes to one that is smaller and quieter and comes home more relaxed. His current groomer says he's perfect. The previous groomer claimed he was a biter!

Also, you may want to consider a mobile groomer......they will come to your house to groom your dog.

• rogerchinnici
    6 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind recommendations! I do believe I will have to rethink my Vet of choice. Every time we go there it's $400 to $500 dollars what with the check up, shots, tests and prescription food. The groomer was charging $100 to give Frizz the cut you see in the photo. I'm on Soc. Sec. so you know $$ is tight. I hate to have to cut corners but I need to make some tough decisions. Thanks again!

• Debbie Downer
    6 years ago

Wow, seems a lot for checkup and shots. At this age its mostly about comfort - doesnt hurt to start asking around now re: who you might want to have for end of life issues & palliative care (meaning no heroic measures, just keeping your girl comfortable & content). May or may not be your usual vet. A good vet and/or assistant should be willing to talk to you by phone so you can decide who you want to make an appt. with. A good vet also has good communication skills, will be able to give you various options and help you make decisions, and know that their job is to help you the human as well as the animal patient.

My own dear vet mustve spent an hour with me on the phone while I cried and tried to decide if it was time to euthanize my old kitty ( who died at age 22). When she was about 18 or 19 my vet advised not continuing with shots (except rabies which is required by law) since she didnt go outside and apparently, the immunity does last beyond 1 year. When you weigh that against the possible complications and side effects in a geriatric cat, we made the choice to not continue. She was probably totally blind (dilated pupils) and deaf, and yowled at night but still loved to be petted and included in the family life. Got her a cushy heated bed for her arthritis, where she spent most of her time like a granny in a rocking chair- still miss that old girl!

• rogerchinnici
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I can tell there was and still IS a lot of love there for your pet. Frizz has good days and bad but he still would rather jump on and off the couch and bed rather than to be lifted. I want him to be a comfy as he can be but right now he needs a haircut BADLY. He so dislikes ANYTHING being done with his feet & legs ever since being a puppy. I'm able to shave around his rear end with a lot of difficulty but it has to get done for sanitary reasons. He also doesn't like having his whiskers trimmed. If only he could be groomed while asleep. Lord knows he LOVES his naps.