Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Young cat, frequently out of breath, panting...normal?

Posted by twotogo (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 20:31

I have a neutered tabby about one years old. He is a sweet boy; my older spayed female cat may disagree but he seems to be in good health. He has had all his shots and a clean bill of health from the vet. I have noticed, however, that he gets out of breath quite easily. Just tonight, I was playing with him with a "feather on a stick" toy, he was chasing it pretty hard; he has amazing tracking skills, but after about 5 minutes he was breathing pretty hard, not panting but almost.
I have noticed him do this in the front yard also. He will run around the yard and then lay down and pant! I have never had a cat do this; is it normal? Or, is he just a "focused" hunter and tires quickly? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Young cat, frequently out of breath, panting...normal?

perhaps just out of shape.. but could also be early signs of asthma

o

Panting can also indicate a cardiac problem or overheating due to overexertion in high temps. It'd be a good idea to have your boy given a thorough physical by a competent vet.

Laurie

o

I had a cat many years ago with the same symptoms and was told by my vet at the time that she had asthma. She lived a long and healthy life and just couldn't exercise too hard. Hot summer days were a bit more challenging but she was a happy kitty. :) I believe her nutrition and environment at birth had much to do with this condition.

Ginny

o

I have a seven month old cat who does the same thing. We've played hard (hide and seek, tag, fetch) since he was a bitty one and he's solid muscle now. Playing hard will make a cat pant as they need a way to quick process their elevated body heat. Take note of when that happens and if it's warm, don't play too hard.

I know if most people were to run at top speed while jumping and twisting around, they'd quickly become hot and short of breath. Playing is hard work. Keep doing it with him though. It's good bonding.

o

Laurie is right,... could be a heart condition, too, though often those cats that are symptomatic as such a young age do not do well with anesthesia, and yours survived the neuter pretty well obviously... still ,a vet visit is a good idea. I had an asthmatic cat as a kid and often would play with it until it nearly collapsed from coughing and wheezing having no clue what was wrong with it... finally the vet figured it out, but we never had to treat it... just no more chasing stuff in the grass any more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here