Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Muzzle options for perfectly nice dog?

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Sat, May 26, 12 at 20:07

We're breaking our dog into camping (easy so far). There are some places we'd like to take the kids where dogs are permitted only if muzzled. These aren't multi-day expeditions or anything--just a shuttle or train ride in a national park--but still, puppy isn't gonna like it.

What is a good type of muzzle that is comfortable and likely to satisfy the powers that be as an actual muzzle? He doesn't have a flat face or breathing difficulties and would not have to do any strenuous walking while muzzled.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Muzzle options for perfectly nice dog?

the plastic basket muzzles are nice, something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SHL8OI/ref=asc_df_B004SHL8OI2028584?smid=A35188XA16FALM&tag=pgmp-925-97-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395109&creativeASIN=B004SHL8OI

your dog can drink through this muzzle, if necessary.

i will caution you to one very important thing and that is to TRAIN your dog to the muzzle, don't just slap it on and go. use lots of treats and positive reinforcement and it won't take your dog long to accept it.

another thing is that some dogs (not all) feel vulnerable when they are muzzled in the presence of other dogs, even other dogs that are wearing muzzles. this can cause your dog to become leash reactive (lunging, growling, snarling, etc.) when he encounters other dogs. this behavior is VERY hard to UNdo.

o

Below is a site with several to choose from, and the one I'd consider is the 'Everyday Light Weight'.
Something that is padded and that protects the dog's tender nose would also be at the top of my list.

As nina mentioned, spend lots of time training her, and start with very short periods of her wearing it.

I'm not sure you'll find much to choose from in the pet stores, so Google to find the many styles available.

Here is a link that might be useful: muzzles

o

Plastic play muzzles - They can still drink, take treats and PANT to cool themselves. Here's Dannie in her pink muzzle after coursing.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

Thanks all!

I guess it's not as horrible a thing as I thought. It's even cute on Dannie!

I think he'll be easy to train. He'll put up with any indignity if it's associated with a walk or a treat. I don't know where I'll find muzzled dogs to practice with. I've never seen one. But I'll ask his boarding/daycare place what they suggest as they also do a lot of training.

Hope these things aren't hard to fit...:P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here