Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Separating mom from kittens

Posted by butterfly1061 (My Page) on
Fri, May 15, 09 at 19:58

I have a female cat who was once wild. She lived in the woods where I worked & I trapped her & took her home. It took a while, but I tamed her and she trusts me fully. She got pregnant and I was able to keep her inside for the birth. The kittens are 8 weeks old and doing very well. I need to separate them from her so her milk will dry & I can get her spayed. She has been driving me crazy to get outside again. I don't want the kittens outside. Any suggestions how I can do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Separating mom from kittens

Is there somewhere you can put the kittens or her that can be closed off? Maybe a utility room or garage.That would be the simplest thing to do.
Are you planning to adopt the kittens out? If so they are old enough now to do that and your problem would be solved!LOL Whatever you do don't let Mamma out! She is probably in heat at this moment.My vet wouldn't spay a cat in heat.If she is in heat and doesn't breed,she can come in again every few weeks so you need to catch the first opportunity as soon as possible to have it done.Good luck with your problem.

o

Yes, I plan on adopting them out. I'm keeping one, but the rest can go to a good home. I'm going to post them at work for adoption. Also, I read to use only clay litter for the kittens during litter training since they like to eat the litter - and they did. They are fully litter trained now, but still play in the litter box. Can I switch to a clumping litter or stay with the clay or a few more weeks?

o

Can you wait a few more weeks to separate them? Kittens really should be with their mother to at least week 10, week 11-12 even better. It results in a more secure cat. You can advertise now and let people make their pick, but have them wait a week or two to pick them up (this also prevents impulse selections, which can result in cats being sent to a shelter later).

You really should keep her inside even if she is spayed. Outdoor cats live to 6 years old on average, indoor-only cats lives to 15 years old on average.

Post pictures? I love kittens.

o

Hi Sue,

Since Callie was wild and an outside cat, I hate to keep her "locked up". I would prefer her to be inside, but until she's spayed and calms down I don't think I can do that to her. She meow's & screams so much cause she wants outside again and it's driving me crazy to the point I'm not getting enough sleep at night. I just don't know what to do except separate her from the kittens and get her spayed. The kittens are doing great - weaned and litter box trained. I'll see if I have any good pics of them for posting.

o

That screaming is not because she wants to go outside, it's because she's in heat and wants to get BRED! If you let her outside, she WILL GET PREGNANT AGAIN IMMEDIATELY.

Put the kittens in one room. Put the mother in another. Wait a week for her milk to dry up, then get her spayed. DO NOT LET HER OUTSIDE UNTIL AFTER SHE HAS HEALED FROM HER SPAY. If you let her out before she is spayed, you will either have to wait until she has her next litter and weans them, or you'll have to spay and abort her new litter.

You may have a diffuclt time finding a vet who will spay her now while she's in heat because spaying during heat involves more blood loss and greater risk for the cat. In other words, you really have no easy options here.

1) Keep her inside in a room separate from her current litter, tolerate the howling until she goes out of heat, then get her spayed immediately.

2) Find a vet who will spay her now and hope that she doesn't lose too much blood during the procedure.

3) Let her outside and deal with the inevitable pregnancy, either by allowing her to have another litter or by aborting the litter and getting her spayed.

Laurie

o

I know not to let her out until after she is spayed.

I'm putting her in a separate room until afte next weekend. The vet can spay her after memorial day. Are the kittens old enough to be separated from her? I don't want to traumatize them.

o

At 8 weeks, if they are eating and drinking on their own, they can be weaned. They won't be happy about it, and momma probably won't be, either, but they'll adjust.

o

As Laurie said they can be weaned but momma or babies won't like it! I have always figured that momma knows when it's time.She will begin to move away from them when they are trying to nurse or just get up and leave while they are nursing!LOL I think Mother nature provided animals with the instinct for that kind of thing.I also believe Kittens and puppies are better adjusted to life without mom if allowed to nurse until mom shows them it's time to stop.But,that's just MHO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here