Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
My little cat died

Posted by lily316 (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 18:32

I am grieving today and am in total shock. If you would have told me a week ago that I would be burying one of my cats in a few days, I would not have known which one. Thirteen years ago, this 3 week old tortie kitten was rescued by a local group when she was on the city streets with out a mother. I adopted her at 6 weeks. She had upper respiratory problem the first week, and I took her to the vets and after taking her meds she was fine the rest of her life. Wednesday she was on my kitchen counter beside another of my cats waiting for her wet food. The other three cats eat on the floor. She ate it and then finished off Phoebe's. She leaped across to the island and ate some dry food. Dry food(Pro Plan or Purina One & Beyond) is available all the time. Lily was always her entire life only 6 pounds. She acted like a kitten...always racing around the house. Thursday she wasn't there for the wet food feeding. She was in the sunroom but ate when I opened a can of people tuna. I watched her that day and she was laying around. That night she sat on my husband's lap and he came out to my room and said she didn't seem better. We decided to take her to the vets yesterday but when we got up, she had died in the night. I have not a clue what happened. Wed. she was racing upstairs and around the house...Friday she is dead. Maybe one of you or Meghan could give me a plausible answer. No diarrhea , no throwing up, same weight, same energy...I'm very sad and baffled.


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: My little cat died

I cant give you a reason but be comforted that she died where she was happy, no scarey car rides or vets offices. The best way to go is at home asleep in your bed. So sorry for your loss.


 o
RE: My little cat died

awww, lily, i'm so sorry for your loss. it sounds like she lived a wonderful, long life with you. (((hugs))) to you.


 o
RE: My little cat died

So, so, so sorry. I know what this does to your heart.

Thinking of you and your little girl.


 o
RE: My little cat died

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what you are feeling. They are like our children and to have this happen out of the blue is so unreal. Mine are off their food from time to time, but they are always okay in a day or two. I can't imagine what might have happened to her.


 o
RE: My little cat died

Thank you...I went out to eat for a break from the sadness. I meant to say in my post that Lily never ever in her life was outside. I also wanted to mention that last Sunday I gave her a dose of Frontline. (you might remember the "my cat tried to kill me" post). I have been giving my cats and dogs Frontline for years and no one ever had a reaction. I do question that with dogs it's by weight, but not with cats. . My dogs are 21 pounds so that's the dose they get. With cats I think it's one dose for all. Henry is 21 pounds and Lily was 6. Doesn't seem right but there was never a problem before and maybe there is no correlation.


 o
RE: My little cat died

I am so sorry for your loss. (((HUGS)))


 o
RE: My little cat died

Oh Lily, I am so sorry. I know exactly what you are going through. This past winter the ferile cat, Monica, who I've been feeding for 20 years went away to die and I think of her everyday. In the middle of this horrible winter I tried to trap her once again; I even tried to throw a blanket over her to try and grab her, but as old as she was she was still too fast for me. Which breaks my heart because the last time I fed her she looked up at me with her little old graying face and I said to her, 'Monica, wouldn't you like to be in a nice warm house instead of in this horrible cold'. Everytime I look at the barn I think of her (I had a doggie door for her to go in and out at will and a ceramic heater which kept the room she was in about 50 degrees)sunning herself in front of it and it breaks my heart. Not knowing what happened to her and how she died is what makes me so sad. So I can truly emphasize with you.
The way your cat died, sad to say, will remain a mystery. Because, even if you had an autopsy done and it was the Frontline, no vet is going to tell you that because they won't want to get involved in a legal action. Personally, I don't think it was the Frontline because you gave it to her almost a week ago. If she was going to have a reaction you would have seen it earlier in the week. I don't give my indoor cat Frontline because he never goes out. Only my dogs get it. Maybe you should reconsider giving it to your other cats just to be on the safe side.

Anyway, I'm really sorry for your loss. You know, just like people some animals have long lives and some have shorter ones. It simply might be that her time was now and neither you or anyone else could have changed that.


 o
RE: My little cat died

I'm so very sorry to read about your cat. lovetogarden was right, without a necropsy you really would have no definitive answer. Whatever it was, it was coming on too fast for you to help her. I don't think I'd even think to take my cat to the vet if she was 'down' a little just for one day with no apparent signs of illness. With such an unexpected shock, it's so hard not to have an answer. Try focusing on the fact that she had a second chance when she was scooped up as a baby and what a wonderful life you were able to give her.


 o
RE: My little cat died

I am so sorry about your kitty.

Hugs being sent your way (( ))


 o
RE: My little cat died

I'm also terribly sorry for the loss of your Lily. She wasn't an 'old' cat, but she wasn't what you'd call young, either. Animals are subject to many of the same conditions humans, or any other mammals are. They can have heart attacks and strokes, internal hemorrhages from undiscovered growths or aneurysms......be apparently fine one day and gone the next. It certainly sounds like you didn't have red flags and nothing you did or did not do played into her demise. Please don't let thoughts of guilt enter your mind.

It sounds to me as if she had a very happy and healthy life and was gone quickly without suffering, and much loved. Many animals are not so fortunate. Alls you can do is the best you can do, and I think you did just that. I'm sorry.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here