Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flea treatment for an old dog

Posted by MellowD (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 17:45

I have a 12 year old Shih Tzu and despite my best efforts she suffered last year with fleas. Before they get really bad this year here in Texas. I would like to know what other people use for dogs less than 10 pounds. I have recently started giving her Benadryl daily for her allergies. Please help her, she is just so miserable it breaks my heart.

Thank you!
MellowD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flea treatment for an old dog

Yes, you definitely have to keep the dear little pup comfortable. I assume she is outside enough to collect fleas.

I've been struggling with this issue as well because the chemicals in these products are scary, and it troubles me to give them to my dog. I recently found a list of flea products prepared by the Natural Resources Defense Council (a respected non-profit environmental organization). Not every product is listed there, but they are rated by "paws", one paw being safest product to use, three paws being the least safe. They recommend people try to use a one-paw product, and people with kids should use a pill rather than a topical application.

I decided on Comfortis for my dog (a 15-lb. terrier), but I'm waiting to see a flea on him before giving the pill. I'm not saying this is appropriate for your dog. It would be wise to check with your vet, especially since you are giving Benedryl too.

The link just below gives ideas for ways to combat fleas without the flea medications.

http://www.nrdc.org/living/pets/control-fleas-without-chemicals.asp

Here is a link that might be useful: Flea product directory

o

Definitely check with your vet. Your vet will know which specific products are currently effective on your local flea population. Fleas in some areas of the country may develop immunity to certain flea preventives, so it's important to know which preventives are and are not effective in your particular location.

Laurie

o

I agree with laurief, take your dog to the vet so they can recommend the best treatment for your dog.

o

You can do a number of things, I forget if it is Frontline or Advantage that comes with a cap, I use ONE DROP a month on my 90# bull mastiff husky mix, he was highly allergic to fleas and one drop a month was all it took to keep them off. This saved me lots of money (which I ended up spending on his legs and toes) and kept him comfortable.
You can also go get some Diatomaceous Earth, don't get the kind for swimming pools, they have extra chemicals in them not good for anything but your pool. get the DE from a garden supply store, you can spread it in your yard where your dog frequents just don't inhale too much and don't apply on a windy day, you must reapply after it rains, but it isn't too expensive. You might even find a bag on line, Good Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here