Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmzms

My girl's favorite new food: Rabbit Poop

jmzms
13 years ago

Yep. We have some wild bunnies who have taken a liking to my backyard. And as soon as I open the backdoor, my 2 1/2 year old Samoyed makes a b-line straight to it.

How can I stop this? What potential health issues am I looking at? Could this be causing her to have gas problems (they started recently and thought maybe)?

Comments (8)

• homebodymom
    13 years ago

My 13yr old lab had a bunny poop feast last week and it definitely did not agree with him. He went out in the back after breakfast and stayed out much longer than usual. I didn't think anything of it. When he finally came back inside he did not feel well at all. He walked around panting and finally threw up ( on the rug of course) these little brown balls. It took me a few minutes to figure out what it was- totally grossed out!
    I was grossed out, but at the same time surprised about how sick it made him. I figured it affected him that way because of his age........Now knowing about your dog, maybe bunny poop just doesn't agree with dogs.
    Hope both our dogs learn to stay away from it!

• weed30 St. Louis
    13 years ago

All of my dogs, (2 departed, 2 current), have gone mad for bunny poop, and it never bothered them one bit. I call it their Yappy Hour Hors d' Oeurves :) Heck, they lick their butts..how bad could a li'l bunny poop be? ;)

(Not to gross you out, but the two departed also ate live baby bunnies if they found a nest, also with no ill effects. I did feel awful for the poor bunnies.)

• mazer415
    13 years ago

Your dog is just adding fiber to its diet. Since there is not much else in a rabbit pellet. If you truly want to stop her from doing this, then train her to leave it....

• debd18
    13 years ago

Rabbits do carry several parasites including coccidia and giardia, but I don't know how in the world you'll stop her from doing it. They all seem to love to eat it. Just make your vet aware of it if she becomes sick so he can take it into consideration.

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

I once had a dog who loved goose poop and had no problems finding it on almost every walk. I started using a penny can and it stopped her immediately.

• carmen_grower_2007
    13 years ago

Another idea that absolutely works is to go outdoors ahead of time and sprinkle the poo with cayenne pepper. It will keep the dog away from it (and the rabbits out of the yard!) It won't take long for the dog to associate the smell of rabbit poo with the pepper and you won't need to sprinkle it any more.

• jmzms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good idea with cayenne pepper. Wouldn't mind the bunnies staying away too ... they keep eating my garden! :(

Thanks everyone! Good to know it's not just my crazy girl.

• doberman_2007
    13 years ago

Rabbit droppings also can have tape worm ?