Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollan_gw

In-ground fence safe with elderly dogs?

hollan
12 years ago

Our dogs are 13 years old and large breeds. We have installed a PetSafe in-ground fence but now I am starting to be concerned if it was a good idea. One dog has dementia and the other has heart problems. They have only been "static corrected" a time or two. The one with dementia seems like he can't hear the warning beep, but he definitely jumped back when he was shocked. The one with heart problems just stood there with a weird look on his face until I realized he was being shocked and jerked his leash back. The vet said this was safe but I'm skeptical. We moved from a house with a chain link fence and didn't want to install a new one at their age since we don't plan on getting other dogs. Has anyone had experience with older dogs and these fences?

Comments (10)

• mazer415
    12 years ago

If you put invisible fence in the search tool you will see this has been a good topic, covered from lots of angles. I would like to ask why you chose invisible fencing?
    I dont recommend it because a friends dogs was traumatized by it - could not get back home after having a pack of dogs come into his territory without getting zapped - he refused to leave the house after that - it messed him up badly.
    Invisbile fencing does not protect your dogs...If you are looking for a way to keep them inside your property and they are elderly and not as likely to create issues, how about a cable run and harnesses???
    I worry about any animals out in the yards unattended when other animals can gain access.

• hollan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a good point. I've never seen a free roaming dog, only the dog catcher making frequent rounds, but I totally forgot about the bear that quickly passed through our yard last year. Thank you for your comment! This won't work, even if they were younger.

• cindyandmocha
    12 years ago

My biggest problem with invisible fencing is the safety of the dog. It keeps your dog contained - yes. It does NOT keep other predators (mean kids, coyotes) out of your property. Your dog has no escape, while the predator has free range.

A rather prominent radio personality here in Nashville advertises quite a bit for invisible fencing. However, just a few yrs ago, his own dog was attacked by coyotes and injured severely. He STILL advertises this fencing! I am just stunned that he doesn't see the folly in this.

• hollan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Meghane, your dog sounds like ours when he was younger - protection/loyalty on overdrive! Glad your husband rescued him. That story is cute and sad at the same time.

We returned the fence today. Sounds like a combination of kennel/inside frou-frou, old pups will be much better in our situation. I am very thankful for the responses that made our decision clear. I'm surprised my vet said this was okay.

• cindyandmocha
    12 years ago

BTW folks, I should have mentioned I live in a very residential area with NO coyotes. At worst, we get a stray bunny rabbit or opossum now and then. Also my neighbor across the street lets her yorkies stray at will (it drives me nuts to see those dogs in the street -- I've had to stop and HONK several times to get them out of the street -- they were lucky it was me).

I'm convinced that *if* one of my dogs had taken down one of her dogs, if it strayed over an invisible fence-line, it would have created a great stink. But I do think my dogs would do just fine with an Invisible Fence (IF). However, we already have privacy fenced back yard, and our dog door leads out this area, so its a moot point.

I just wanted to clarify that its not that I'm totally anti-IF; I just think *if* there are other safer measures, then you are better safe than sorry. Additionally, I can't guarantee that no one would ever move to our neighborhood that had an aggressive dog who would stray into our area. However, our city's animal control unit is very active. It would not be a stray for long.

I keep waiting to hear my neighbor complain that someone "stole" her yorkies.

• cynthia_gw
    12 years ago

Senior dogs (and younger dogs) get lots of benefits (mental and physical) from leash walking. So if you don't want to install a real fence, just walk them! It's healthy for us too. And yes, I have strong negative opinions about invisible fencing. Punishment and fear aren't good ways to train, contain, or care for dogs. Your vet recommended it because he's not a behaviorist. He's a vet.

• Bengou
    12 years ago

Hi
    I have 2 dogs one is 110 lbs the other 8 lbs we use in ground fences for 2 years and its a great succes. In fact its all about the training you give them. After the training they did only one try (they saw a dog) they had the shock but only the first one witch is the weak shock since we use a smart in ground fence. This one(Innoteck 5100)give gradual shock(3 different as they get closer to the wire...

Here is a link that might be useful: in ground fences

• betsyhac
    12 years ago

Even tho the OP's situation does not warrant the use of the IF, I, too, would have to add that I had it and found it very useful. It is definitely all about the training - very important to be knowledgeable about that and do it right.
    Actually, from what I've been reading lately, coyotes are becoming more and more common in urban areas. I hope that people realize their cats and little dogs are very much at risk. You should never let your little animals out w/o supervision, especially at night. I've lived in the country (altho in a neighborhood) and now in a city and they've been around in both places. The poor things have never been aggressive. Most often, they're seen and not heard, but make no mistake, smaller animals are in danger. My big Irish Wolfhound and I would be sitting on the porch late at night in the country in the summer and a pack would start yipping nearby, and he would NEVER go to investigate - and he was fearless.
    Meghane - your story was hilarious.

• karmarcas12
    3 years ago

Thank you all for your insight. We have a senior black lab. My gentle giant was always quick responding to commands. Vet says not his hearing, rather his old timer desire to wander around. I’m disabled and need help keeping him in the yard. Hopefully this will help me as well as Guinness. ;)