Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adopting a new kitty

Posted by homebodymom (My Page) on
Sun, May 1, 11 at 15:23

I am so excited to announce that we have decided to add a new furbaby to our home!!!!! We currently have a 3 yr old neut/male lab and his best friend a 5 yr old neut/male cat.

Any ideas on whether my male cat would be more accepting of a male vs female kitty? I know my lab will love the new cat no matter the gender, but was curious to all of your thoughts on considering gender when adding a new cat to our home with our male cat. We will be using the cat rescue organization we adopted our current cat from, and she has both male and female cats available.

Thanks for your ideas !!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adopting a new kitty

Male or a female, a cat that was brought up with both dogs & other cats will be able to settle in much more easily & quickly.

Congratulations (well, a leetle bit early)!

o

I would have said a female cat, until I took in a stray male kitten who immediately fell in love with my older male cat. I'd never had 2 males before, and their bond is amazing.

That said, I agree with sylvia, either sex but definitely one that has exposure to other cats and dogs. Though the stray kitten didn't seem to know he was supposed to be afraid of dogs ... he thinks they're OK too. LOL!

Please post pics when you bring home your new furbaby ...

o

Thanks everyone. I am going to have a "play date" tomorrow with the available kitties at the rescue. The woman who runs the rescue didn't seem to think it was a gender issue, but more of a "energy" match. Since she knows my current kitty well, she said she will help me find a match, but you never know!!! She said it can be an adjustment period, or sometimes instant love!!

Will post pics when the new arrival gets home!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here