Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cat needs ultrasound/has fluid

Posted by jones60 (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 14:18

13 yr old indoor cat has had blood tests, xrays and has a stomach full of fluid. They tested that and found nothing . So now I'am going to have a ultrasound done. Cannot let my cat die without knowing what her problem is. I have had cats for a long time this is the first with a lot of tests but no answers. Has anyone out there have the same problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cat needs ultrasound/has fluid

I have not but will add your cat to my thoughts and prayers. I hope that it comes out to be something easily remedied.

o

I'm sorry your kitty isn't well.

My mother had a cat who developed ascites (accumulation of fluid in the abdomen), the cause of which was never determined. My mother did not go so far as to have an ultrasound done, as the cat acted otherwise fine and the other tests didn't show any anomalies. The vet gave her cat some kind of diuretic concoction from time to time which would reduce the bloating and the cat lived a good quality of life for another year- though I could not tell you what she passed away from, but I would guess cancer.

I don't understand ascites well enough to attempt to try to explain it. My understanding is that it is usually an issue that results from improper or inadequate liver functioning. If you google the term, you will find a lot of information about it, but it may not help you determine the cause or possible treatment. I read extensively on it when my boy cat developed it in conjunction with cancer, but it was more of a textbook understanding I got, rather than useful information I could use- though you never know what information you may stumble across in searching.

Good luck to you and your kitty.

o

The tests didn't indicate anything? What tests were done? Can they drain the fluid and test that?

o

Test not to clear. She had blood,xrays which showed the fluid buildup and an abdomenthesis which was not clear either. Doing an ultrasound today. Poor cat has not eaten for 4 days. Vet said do what you can to feed her I did. At least she drinks some water. But I said to the vet you cannot let her starve to death. But if she's not eating then there is a serious issue here. Hopefully the ultrasound will show something. Its odd as it came on VERY FAST the swollen belly. Though she was thinning on her back which I assumed was age or kidney disease as her brother just died 6 months ago from that. But No its not that!! It very odd and yes sometimes from what I have read that I may never know.

o

I almost hate to mention this...but did they run the titer test for Coronavirus (the virus that can cause FIP)? It typically strikes young or older cats. Swollen abdomen is a symptom of the wet form. But I would think is the cat had FIP the blood work would show some issues...

o

Going for a second opinion . Ultrasound really did not show much if anything and to just let my cat die without eating and no one knows about the fluid problem is beyond me. If this vet says there is nothing I can do then I'll be convinced. My gut says get a second opinion.

o

Please get the vet to give her IV or subcutaneous fluids.

o

Listen to your "gut".

My limited experience says check for FIP & for heart, lung, & kidney function.

I wish you the best.

o

Sounds like FIP or right heart failure to me. An echocardiogram can rule out heart failure. However testing for coronavirus is worthless. A positive test for corona doesn't mean she has FIP, and unfortunately a negative corona titer doesn't mean she does not have FIP. So it tells you nothing. For FIP you're stuck with clinical signs or a cluster thereof.

I hope your cat has something much more fixable than FIP. Hope she gets better really soon.

o

I put my baby down, Not eating in a week being very weak the Dr said it would be best to put her down as she was only to get worse. With fluid in her abdomen and the ultrasound not showing much but he did feel a grittyness he felt it best. Option was to open her up or do leukemia test but with the cat being as weak as she was it was worse for the cat and only satisfying myself when nothing could be done. She was too weak and in her own way kept saying do something "put me down" so did. I lost her brother very quickly in oct 2009 and now his sister in a matter of a week is hard to take. they were my only kids and now I have no cats its awfully quiet. I did dig deep graves and put all of their toys with them in their handmade box, plus they are next to each other in heaven!

o

I'm so sorry for your loss. It was compassionate to put an end to her suffering, even though it was hard for you.

She is at peace.

o

I am so sorry.

o

I'm so sorry about your kitty.

o

I am so sorry for you loss. Have peace in knowing that they are together.

o

I'm so sorry.

I'm glad you were there to make that hard decision for her to have some rest & be at peace.

o

Just to say. She was not eating almost for a week, If she had the ascites and was eating perhaps it would have been different. It the ascites came on very fast within a weeks span and that I'm sure stopped the eating. She had already lost a pound. Whatever it was was not good I felt I put her through enough tests. The lympocyhtes were not good! But I'm still in shock over it. Seemed alright 2 weeks ago and now she is gone. A HARD PILL TO SWALLOW. There must be something out there on cats with ascites that just die so quickly. I have researched everything to no avail only possibilities!!

o

Please don't second guess your decisions. I lost my last kitty a year ago in a very similar manner. She was the picture of health and suddenly developed fluid in the plural cavity. It came on just as quickly where she went from eating and playing to gasping for breath in a week. The vet aspirated it and it was typical of FIP. He started giving me the options and said he could do repeated aspirations and put her on steroids, etc. etc. etc. No..... I have hung on to many of her housemates through years of treatments for things like cancers and megacolons and I stop where and when the quality of life for them is gone and it's a struggle with no cure in sight........and this innocent little gal wasn't going to go through it to make me feel better. So I am really sorry for your loss and understand why you did what you did. I hope you remember the good times with them and consider a new kitty who needs a home down the road.

o

hey thanks for that!! My vet didn't even aspirate her or suggest that though they took fluid from her stomach which showed nothing.. she didn't eat for a week and was misdiagnosed the first time. vet suggested nothing then after her ultrasound she gave her a cortisone shot which did nothing for the fluid then she said perhaps follow up with prednisone!! Hello vet!! my cat is not eating and is crying and not happy!! Thats when I went for a second opinion. He said put her down since she was not eating and to put her through more tests and things at 13 and yet it could be hopeless anyhow the humane thing is to put her down. I agreed since no eating,losing wgt, pain in stomach I knew to put her through all the more invasive tests was not fair to her. She wanted out and now is with her brother. I guess the shock of it all has settled and now the reality of why. Deep down I felt it was right just could not believe the first vet suggested nothing except let her starve. I said shes starving to death, she said you do not die from Starvation!! I couldn't believe that so onward I went for the second opinion from a vet I had trusted in the past and is a cat lover. I don't think it was FIP, no fever, cat never went out! I learned one thing. Don't go to a vet just because its closer to you, which i did.

o

"I don't think it was FIP, no fever, cat never went out!"

My cat never had a fever and she never went out. She got it from her mother before I had her (she developed the first minor symptoms 3 months after I got her) (every cat in the litter died, the mother was a virus shedder, obviously a genetic component in that case).

A cat could, in theory, pick up the virus anywhere there are other cats (or even where cats have been as the virus lives for weeks). Many, many cats are exposed to the virus that causes FIP. But it usually only turns into FIP in the old and the young. It may be possible that your cat was exposed before you ever had him and the virus didn't become FIP until he was older. Although there seems to be a lot of FIP mentioned on this board, it is supposedly pretty rare. But based on what you wrote, it sounds like the wet form of FIP (my cat had the dry form, which takes longer to kill, but still kills), but there are other things it could be, of course.

Since the cause is unknown, if you are planning to get another cat I would wait 10 weeks, and clean all surfaces that were exposed to feces or saliva with bleach and water.

Here is a link that might be useful: About FIP

o

Thanks but I still do not think it was that FIP though close. Her ALT (SGPT) was low as well. Plus the fluid from her abdomen was red opaque. No fever or vomiting or diarhea(SP). Again when they did the blood test I'm surprised considering fluid that(FIP titer) was not tested for. My cats lived inside a very clean house with more than one litter for them. But I guess perhaps like you said it came from when they were young. I feel it may have been a leakage of some sort or a vessel that ultrasound did not pick up. Whatever the Fip article was very good and perhaps not all cats have the exact symptoms (fever etc). she's gone and I do miss her the house is awful empty without Bea and Bud (brother and sister) its weird but they died 7 months apart. After 13 years with them I'll see what i'm going to do. My other cats lived to 19 and 191/2. Once her brother died as well she went six months later very similiar to this, months wise, not sickness wise At least I knew what they had. But thanks for listening and your help! May they both rest in peace.

o

I'm so sorry about your kitty again, and sorry that you didn't get definite answers.

When my boy kitty passed away in Jan 09, it was a real shocker because he seemed to go so fast. The first serious symptom for him was ascites (following 2 days of him acting as he usually did if he had a hairball) and then he was gone in a matter of days. He appeared to have many cancerous masses, but it was hard to say. When the vet did the x-ray the fluid obscured much of his abdomen/chest cavity. She pointed out some shadows that should not have been where they were, and that (along with a high white blood cell count) was how we determined he probably had cancer.

I understand how hard it is to lose them in a way that seems to quick. My little guy had had perfect blood work just a short time before (he was 14.5 years old), so this really took us by surprise. When I told a friend that I couldn't believe how quickly he was gone, she reminded me that it only seemed fast to me and that the underlying problem had been there much longer. I found comfort in knowing that he enjoyed great quality of life just about every day of his life.

(((HUGS))) I hope you can find peace in the memories of the wonderful life your kitty was able to enjoy.

o

Thanks for that. Its been a week today. When I hear what you said I do not feel so alone in not knowing! Its the ultrasound that did not show really anything when it should have. But its a week and Beatrice is with her brother Buddy in a nice area in my garden where they both always looked out at.
Best to you always!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here