Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jones60_gw

cat needs ultrasound/has fluid

jones60
13 years ago

13 yr old indoor cat has had blood tests, xrays and has a stomach full of fluid. They tested that and found nothing . So now I'am going to have a ultrasound done. Cannot let my cat die without knowing what her problem is. I have had cats for a long time this is the first with a lot of tests but no answers. Has anyone out there have the same problem?

Comments (163)

• Lana D
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

David, so sorry for your loss of Tiger and the pain. You were a loving pet parent and Tiger knew it.

I am deeply sorry for everyone who lost their pet.

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened. @Anatole France

• saray98
    2 years ago

I miss my kitty literally every day! it’s been 3

months for me and it still feels really hard. For those of you who have lost a cat recently you’re in my prayers, hope that you can all heal. For those with poorly kitties rn, I hope they have a speedy recovery and get better soon 🥺

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

Saying Goodbye to my precious Onyx (Monkey) Tomorrow morning at 9AM. He hung on as long as he could. He will join all your precious babies in heaven. I hope they all meet and play together. He is suffering and My son and I and the vet decided this is the best choice for him. Goodbye my sweetheart!

• Lana D
    2 years ago

I am sorry to hear that, Karen. Brought tears to my eyes.

• David S
    2 years ago

I’m so sorry to hear that. I’m sending so much love to you and your son and Monkey. Its been nice to hear how he’s been doing this last few weeks.

There’s nothing anyone can say, I know, but what a lucky boy he is to have lived with so much love in his life. he’ll be waiting for you, I hope he meets Tiger up there. Give him a kiss from me. Look after yourself. You’re in my prayers.

• Melissa Archie
    2 years ago

I'm so so sorry Karen. If anyone understands it is this group. I'll be thinking of you and your family. Cuddle and speak to Monkey's heart today. You know he knows you love him dearly. xoxo

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

Thank you all for helping me get through this. I wish I could meet you all and give you all a hug! HUUUUUUUG to you all! He is on a lot of pain meds. But I will love him now and forever. God Bless you all!

• David S
    2 years ago

And he knows how much you love him! ❤️

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

Thank You I need to hear this!

• cat_mom
    2 years ago

😔

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

Monkey went peacefully a hour ago and was a lot sicker than we thought. Your all right, this hurts like hell! Thank You all for your love and support. I hope I have helped you as much as you all helped me. Love...

• HU-158795122
    2 years ago

I lost my beloved love of my life Meg on the 6th of April she was 17. She had Cancer and fluid build up. After reading here my heart is broken because after putting her through the draining and spending the whole day in the vets she only lasted a few days. I miss her with all my heart. I am so grateful to have found this page i don't feel so alone now. I also feel so bad that i didn't hold her tighter and say more to her in her last moments because i was in such a state. But she had the best life i wish i could concentrate on that.

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

You did what you needed to do to help her survive. That is all we can do is try, and you did that. We should all be proud of ourselves for loving and taking care of such beautiful souls.

• Lana D
    2 years ago

Karen, I am so sorry to hear about Monkey's passing. I was hoping he would be the exception to this awful disease and would recover despite all the odds. At least he is no longer suffering.

HU-158795122- I am very sorry to hear about you losing Meg.

It's devastating to know that Ascitis does not leave many chances.

I found this page when my cat Pasha already passed away. I found it by searching the condition trying to understand better what was happening and what he was going through. Reading through many of your stories helped me. I am grateful to the person who started this thread 11 years ago and grateful to all who shared their experiences and stories.

My heart goes out to all of you who are here. I am wishing those of you who lost your beloved cats peace in knowing you did your best and wishing strength to those who are still fighting.

• Melissa Archie
    2 years ago

I think about Ginger every day. Maybe today will be the first day I don't shed a tear, but I miss her so so bad. I can still vividly remeber how she physically feels.

Since she took sick 3 years ago, I made the conscious effort to take lots of pics and video of her. When her sister passed suddenly 7 years ago I realized I didn't have much to remind me of her personality and the dynamics bw our family.

I'm grateful I have so much to look at and bring me comfort. I've ordered some magnetic picture tiles and a photobook from Shutterfly as memoriam. For a little self therapy I'll edit a video of her as well.

I'm grateful that my family understood and knew her as well. I've gotten calls and words of support that I wasn't expecting. But there's nothing like connecting with people who have gone through the same heartbreaking experience and sharing support.

One day at a time 💗.

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

FIP is a awful disease that takes your pet in a blink of a eye! I HATE it! I wish for a cure and one that people don't have to get on the black market and spends thousands on. (even though I would have) to save their babies. Love to you all!

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

Thank You Lana!

• David S
    2 years ago

I hope everyone is doing as ok As they can be. Everyone here understands each other so well!

Yesterday was 4 weeks for me. Everything from that Friday is burned into my brain, the time I phoned the vets, the time I took him, the time it happened, and when it gets to

that time of day again I relive it in real time. Well yesterday was the 4 week mark and I was busy and didn’t notice when it was 10.30am. Which is a blessing. I don’t want to mark these dates but it’s hard to stop myself.

I got nice emails this week too from the vet and the receptionist who was there. I’d wanted a bit of reassurance about those last moments and I feel much more settled about it.

but I miss that little guy. My other cat is only just coming round too, they never liked each other that much but she’s missed him so much. Checking his favourite chair, waiting by the door for him to come in, it just breaks my heart all over again

• David S
    2 years ago

Melissa - I know what you mean about remembering how she physically feels. I worry i’m Going to forget the feel of his fur, the smell of his feet when he stuck his paws in my face, the feel of the back of his ears, that purr…. ❤️

• HU-158795122
    2 years ago

I was so distressed in my last moments as they sedated my Meg i keep worrying i didn't hold her tight enough or said the "right things" i read others say. I feel haunted. But i know i gave her a wonderful ife and loved her so so very much. It's seven weeks now and i think about her every day and miss her more than ever.

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

We all did the right thing at the right moment. And the love we shared with our babies is the most precious memories we need to remember. Yes it hurts, but I keep hearing distant meows. Imagination, maybe, him saying I'm ok? Most likely!

• Lana D
    2 years ago

I woke up early yesterday morning and when I turned to my side, I heard the sound my cat Pasha would make when he used to sleep curled up in my feet and I didn't know he was there, a brief meow to tell me he was there, so I didn't step on him or anything🐾 I heard it yesterday's morning. I for a moment forgot that he has been gone for five weeks now.

I miss my Soul Cat.

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

They say they are always by our side.

• Melissa Archie
    2 years ago

I feel all of you! I want a sign from my lil ol lady. My ego wants to believe that she wants to stay here with her family. Then I feel guilty about thinking that and wonder if shIe's "crossed over" or got lost...I know, it sounds silly but I'm not shy about sharing lol. My biggest thoughts of guilt are about whether I waited too long. Her final day was the most heartbreaking of them all. She just could barely get those hind legs to move. There were two moments - when she was determined to go into her old litter box that she hadn't used in days on her own (effort was too much to step into, and I had gotten to the point where we had to take her to the box every several hours she could go. The second was when she used all her might to get up and try to make her way to jump off the couch in an effort to head toward the front door! I had to go grab her before she tried the jump and hurt herself. I held up her hips so she could weeble wobble in the direction of where she wanted to go. She meowed at me, looked at the door and out we went to sit on the front stoop. That was all she wanted to do all day. Go outside and lay all of her weight into our laps. I know she appreciated that her very final moments were in our back garden. She had become so frail and was still making efforts. When I get going during the day or get into some challenging yoga or pilates, I go to her in my head for that strength that she had to help me through it. Working on reflecting on the times when her tail was up and wavy rather than those last days where it stayed hanging low.

But I made it through the day so far without any tears. Today makes exactly a week. at 6:35 (20 minutes from when I'm writing this) the vet arrived at our home. Ok, I may not make it all the way through without a tear, but I'm definitely doing better :-). I'll never stop missing my Ging.

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

You see she gave you something, strength and Courage. Stop beating yourself up! My monkey went so fast. with in 2 days he was at death's door! I asked him to give me a sign and he did. He would not stop meowing and it was a different kind of meow. I cannot describe it but, I knew it was time. Your little girl hung on for a reason. They all go at the right time. I heard his meow last night and this morning. It is so quiet here and the meow was very distant. But I knew it was him. Believe...

• HU-158795122
    2 years ago

Melissa Archie My story is similar. I'm haunted by it all. On My Megs last morning she did let out a howl when i tried to lift her and i then phoned the vet and took her on her last journey. I have written here that i don't feel i did evrything perfectly but we are under tremendous stress and i for one just didn't know what to do. I am trying to remember all the love we gave each other. That's all we can do. But my house feels empty and i miss her so so much. My heart goes out to you. X

My name is Sue i can't seem to register that.

• David S
    2 years ago

Melissa, Sue, I understand exactly how you feel.

I‘ve also struggled with the timings. If I hadn’t taken him that morning, he may Still be here now pottering around like he was that Friday. But he might have been in pain. He yowled when I picked him up, he didnt want his swollen belly squeezing. He might have had a heart attack in the night and died in pain. Maybe I could’ve found a ”better” vet who could’ve done something else. Maybe I left it too late and he suffered too much. I don’t know. But we all did what had to be done, they were all loved so much right to the last and none of them are in pain now.

3 weeks now. At least thanks to covid masks people don’t seem me crying in the supermarket when I get cat food for my little lady. She has simple tastes and only has one sort pretty much, Tiger worked his way through everything, and they’re all there on the shelf In the store. I enjoyed standing in that aisle deciding what to treat him to. And Asda (U.K. supermarket) own brand cat food is called Tiger. That always stabs my heart when I see it.

• David S
    2 years ago

Melissa - your final day with her sounds so beautiful. She was loved and doing what she wanted with her favourite person. I’m trying to think of that with Tiger. He was more mobile and managed to get right around the garden and jump on a bench. but he was struggling and looked pained when he laid down.

Here he is last year, he was declining but contented. I love that little guy

• HU-158795122
    2 years ago

David S You have made me cry (but that's ok) Thank you for your kind words they have helped me.

Tiger was beautiful bless his heart. I'm so glad i found this page. I'm an old lady and don't have a smart phone to do photos with. I pray we all find peace in our hearts. Sue X

• Lana D
    2 years ago

Tiger's name matched him well. Beautiful boy.

Guilt is a part of grief.

Was it too early? Was it too late? Was it right? Was it wrong?-all part of the grieving process.

There were some critical situations that Pasha made through where many would not think it was possible. But he made it. He pulled through each time. He was a resilient cat. And after each of those comebacks, he was able to enjoy life again and continued hunting lizards in the garden, chase butterflies, sunbathe in the morning sun and purr softly, looking at me with half squinted eyes.

But what was different this time? Why wasn't I able to save him this time? What did I do wrong? Why it didn't work this time? Where did I make a mistake? These questions were circulating through my mind during the first two weeks after his passing.

In searches for answers, a scene from an old movie came to mind where Bill Murray was trying to save an old homeless man in "Groundhog Day". No matter how hard he tried, the man would die every day. The uncontrollable death of the old man is the only element in Phil’s repeating days that remains unchanged no matter what he does...And the nurse's words: "Sometimes people just die."

Sometimes cats just die😪

Please remeber our pets love us unconditionally. We are/were their favorite humans who can do no wrong ♥️♥️♥️

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

I hope all of you are doing better. Think about you all everyday. I miss my monkey so bad. Feels real empty here and the hole in our hearts from him being gone is big and wide. We reflect on the pleasure it was loving him and him being in our lives.

• Lana D
    2 years ago

Hi Karen. Good to hear from you. I also think of everyone's stories and think about Monkey and you.

It has been almost 3 months (hard to believe) since Pasha passed away. And these have been very hard months.

I believe we will never stop missing them.

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

Good to hear from you Lana. You all got me through with guidance and thoughtful words and prayers. Almost 2 months for me. Still missing his running to the door when I come home. I can still feel him. They will always be in our hearts. They were all here with us for a reason.

• HU-158795122
    2 years ago

Hello Lana and Karen. It's been three months since i lost my darling beloved Meg. I miss her every day. I feel her with me and looking at her photos i have in frames somehow helps me.She helped me through some very tough times and gave me so much love and companionship.I loved her so much.

My name is Sue by the way but i can't seem to register that for some reason.

• Lana D
    2 years ago

Hi, Sue and Karen. Thank you for staying in touch. Journey of Loss is a hard journey. I only recently noticed the passage of time. I finally started to come to terms with what happened and started accepting it.

I see Pasha often in my dreams, for which I am so grateful for. He is always on my mind. He would have been 19 y.o. this month. His resting place is in the garden, by the birdbath, where he loved to drink water from every morning. I planted flowers and have some blue butterflies garden decor and a blue dragonfly wind chimes there. Caring for the flowers and making sure the bird bath has always fresh water has been helpful. I am typing this and my tears are flowing.

• Melissa Archie
    2 years ago

Hello lovely folks,

Thanks for the check in and updates.

It's nearly 2 months since Ginger's passing. Definitely still grieving and miss her. Still comprehending that after 19 years I'll never see her in flesh again. Still wonder what her experience is after passing and if she's ok and what that really means.

We have pics of her printed around the house. She's a screen saver on my phone and multiple pics saved in my gallery that I come across and prompt me to smile, say her name and send love out loud & sometimes shed a tear. I realize that even in my clear logic that she'd be gone I really didn't realize what mourning her would be like.

Weren't we lucky to have experienced such a unique love? 🥰

Appreciate you all and think of you as well ❤.

• HU-158795122
    2 years ago

Hello Melissa Archie I too wondered about where my Meg is now and phoned my friend crying about that. I prayed to some lovely friends that have passed to watch over her.

Yes we were so lucky to have had that love with them and for me that was 17 years with Meg. Never long enough but yet so lucky have experienced such a unique love.

Your Ginger was so beautiful.

Sue X

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

We are all beautiful to have connected through our fur babies! I wonder the same things. What is he doing now?

• David S
    2 years ago

Good to hear from you all i think we’re all in the same boat. A few weeks in i suppose it got less painful, but i’m really missing him on the long warm summer nights. He’d always be following me around the garden, brushing against me. He loved being in the garden with me, i think thats what I’m finding hardest right now

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

Hi David! Hope you are doing good! Me too, I have a beautiful porch I just had redone, I was looking forward to him and me hanging out. I miss everything about him!

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago
    1. Hi everyone! Hope you are all doing well! Thought I would share our lovely and scrappy new rescue cat Lobo! He has conjunctivitis so he is a challenge with medicine and all. But that is ok and he needs our love and care. We are sooooo happy we got him! The hole in our hearts is still there and we miss "Monkey" but there is lots of room for another fur baby to care for. We are surprised it took us only 4 months! I actually want another cat i seen. They need us!

• Melissa Archie
    2 years ago

Yayyy! This is awesome. We haven't gotten an official new furry family member in our home but a super cute neighborhood kitty we call Tux has stolen our hearts. He comes around but was nowhere to be seen the last 3 months until recently. We were worried! He looks a little grumpy here but he's super sweet lol.

I find comfort in caring for these beauties. Congrats on your new family member 💖

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

Ohhhh he is so pretty! Thanks Melissa!

• David S
    2 years ago

Karen, thank you for your update, what a beautiful boy he is! Lobo is a very lucky boy to be able to live with such special humans!

Like you Melissa next door's cat, who only moved in over the summer, is now in the garden a lot. He's doing a lot of the same things as Tiger in the same places, which really knocks me back sometimes, but he's friendly and usually comes over and says hello before going about his business.

My lady Slinky has come to terms with things now and is a happy little old lady.

Nice to see updates from you all :)

• Lana D
    2 years ago

Congratulations. Beautiful babies❤️

• David S
    2 years ago

Hi everyone, just wanted to say happy new year to you all, hope you’re getting on ok. Thanks for being there this year, it’s still hard without Tiger but support of you huys helped a lot. Lets hope 2022 is better x

• Melissa Archie
    2 years ago

Happy New Year!!!

Appreciate this group's support in 2021 and wish you all a year full of love. xo

• HU-158795122
    2 years ago

Miss my beautiful Meg every day.

• Lana D
    2 years ago

Thank you for the kind words and support. This group is special to me.

May us all find piece, comfort and healing in 2022.

I miss my boy Pasha a lot.

Love Never Dies

• Karen Musial
    2 years ago

Happy New Year everyone! Even though I have a New Kitty with issues, he makes me happy everyday! Nothing will replace my beloved monkey! Thanks again for all your support. Good to see everyone doing ok.