Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cnvh_gw

Vet help for seniors/disabled?

cnvh
14 years ago

One of my clients is in her 60's and is on disability. She has a cat, which she loves dearly; frankly, the cat is the closest thing she has to family at the moment. Unfortunately, Kitty has some kind of ear issue-- sounds like ear mites, but I've never seen this cat myself and I'm not a vet, so it could be something else.

Anyway, my client is extremely low-income and really can't afford a vet bill. Please spare me the "if you can't afford it you shouldn't own a pet" diatribe-- the situation is what it is. She feeds the cat before she feeds herself, and there are days where Kitty is the only thing keeping her together. She's not getting rid of the cat just because she can't afford the vet.

So I've been trying to research online for agencies that may be willing to assist with a vet bill. From what I've found, there DO seem to be programs out there, but only for life-threatening issues, which this probably is not.

Any suggestions? I've given her contact info for local rescues to call and pick their brains, and I've also told her to call the vet where she had Kitty neutered to see if they can work out a payment plan.

And if it IS ear mites, would she be doing any harm to treat with mineral oil every couple of days for a couple of weeks? We do this with the meat rabbits we raise and it works well; I'm not sure if it's OK for cats.

Comments (2)