Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19773636

So sad...

User
10 years ago

I had to put my kitty down last weekend. She was a beautiful tortoiseshell named Bob and she was "my" girl. I saw her through three years of renal disease and her lab work was quite stable as recently as February. My partner and I were away on vacation when the cat sitter called to tell me that Bob's belly seemed distended. Sitter took her to the vet the next day and she was admitted to the emergency hospital.

I cut my vacation short and came home. X-rays weren't revealing much but an ultra-sound showed carcinomatosis. My kitty had little cancerous nodules throughout her abdominal cavity that contributed to the fluid building up in her tummy. My partner came home the next day and we went in together to visit with her one last time. I'm so grateful that she went so peacefully.

Now, my heart is breaking! She used to be waiting for me whenever I came home. I lost someone who loved me so much. Our animal friends love us like nobody else can...

I have her cremains on our glassed in book case. The pet memorial folks enclosed the rainbow bridge poem, and her ashes are in a velvet bag that reads "Until we meet again at the rainbow bridge."

Bob's daughter is lost without her. Doing our best to adjust to the new normal here.

Thanks for listening.

Comments (19)

• homebodymom
    10 years ago

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beautiful kitty. Our pets touch our hearts so deeply. I hope you can take some comfort knowing that your were there to say goodbye.
    prayers for comfort being sent your way

• tulip55
    10 years ago

So sorry for your loss. My Maggie was diagnosed with a lung tumor two days ago so I have cried for days. The pain is so raw. I wish you solace and peace during this awful time.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of her in younger, healthier times.

Thanks for your kind words, homebodymom and tulip. tulip, I'm so sorry about Maggie. I'm sending prayers your way.

• quasifish
    10 years ago

I'm so very sorry about Bob, Junebug. Those darn torties will get you like none other.

I lost my CRF girl last year after a good number of years of dealing with the disease. She was also a tortie. I still say lovingly that this cat put the "o" and "h@ll" in tortoiseshell. They are definitely special kitties, and since torties can be so hard to live with, those of us who live with and love torties are special too.

The picture is precious, that look... that tortie look...

My deepest condolences.

Tulip, I'm so sorry about your kitty, Maggie.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are she and her daughter, Booty.

• tulip55
    10 years ago

Her favorite pose! Such a sweet girl Maggie is.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh...what a cutie Maggie is! You can see how sweet she is...

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, quasifish...
    Yes, there's something about torties! This one was so sweet and she bossed me around mercilessly. : ) Any moment not spent in my lap was a travesty in her mind.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss......

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, cat mom...
    So hard to lose our babies.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, cat mom...
    So hard to lose our babies.

• Lily316
    10 years ago

I'm very sorry for your loss. I have mother and daughter torties who are identical to your two in the picture. I've had two others in my life too.

• Debbie Downer
    10 years ago

My heartfelt condolences - I can relate as this will probably be my 22 yr old calico's last summer and I've started the grief process early. If torties are anything like calicos - they are quite the unique personalities! A suggestion if I may. What I found helps is to write a biography of your kitty while the memories of her are still fresh - her little quirks, cute things that happpened, etc. It's a way of honoring your kitty and reassuring yourself that she won't be forgotten. Take care.

• Ninapearl
    10 years ago

so very sorry for your loss. i don't know what i will do when the time comes that my 2 danes don't meet me at the door with total body wiggles. it's such a sad thing to think about.

i know you have many happy memories of your kitty. may they carry you through your grief. it is never easy.

tulip, i'm sorry your maggie is going through this. i hope you get lots more time with her and that she stays comfortable for a long time to come.

• jomuir
    10 years ago

Aw, she was so pretty. Sorry for your loss.

• laurief_gw
    10 years ago

I am so, so sorry for your loss of the beautiful Bob. I was raised by a tortoiseshell, and my heart still skips a beat every time I see one.

I lost two of my cats to different types of cancer last year, and I currently have four cats with CRF and two with hyperT (one with both). Sometimes the loss and worry can be overwhelming, but the love keeps me going. I hope that Bob's daughter can help you through the acute phase of your grief and make the chronic loss more bearable over time.

I wish you a peaceful grief.

Laurie

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry.

• spedigrees z4VT
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss, Junebug. Bob was an exceptionally beautiful cat. I've always been partial to tortoiseshells and calicos and have been owned by three over the years, including my current 20 yr old girl. You are so right that our animals love us as no one else can. It is terribly sad when they go.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everybody.

Spedigrees, you're so right about being owned by them! Bob was clearly in charge of me and she really bossed me around. Gosh, I miss her.