Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_san_diego

Skittish Cat

andrea_san_diego
14 years ago

I've had about half a dozen cats over my lifetime and my current cat, Cleo, is loving but extremely skittish. She is 5 years old and has never had a bath. I can't even pick her up sometimes and have never been able to get her into a pet carrier. I've had to cancel many vet appointments because she freaks out when she sees the carrier. I've even left the carrier in the living room for a couple of weeks and she would go in and out but when it came time for the appointment she goes spastic. My adult daughter and I have tried to orchestrate the capture and confinement many times but she always gets away. She's an indoor cat and is relatively clean but is starting to look a little shabby. "IF" I could get her to a groomer do you think she would behave for a bath? The photo was taken when Cleo was looking her best about 4 years ago. She seriously needs a spa treatment now.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (5)

• sylviatexas1
    14 years ago

Beautiful cat!

Cats don't need baths.

ever.

They groom themselves beautifully, so if she's looking shabby, I'd take her to the vet.

Shabbiness or scruffiness might be signs of thyroid trouble or of some other health problem that makes her uninterested in grooming herself.

Some cats hate carriers, & that's all there is to it, so, after having tried so many ideas, I think I'd give up trying to get her to like carriers & just concentrate on getting her into one without getting myself scratched to bloody ribbons!

The easiest way I've found is to set the carrier down vertically, on its back end, with the door opening from the top.

If you have help, it's easier, but if you're alone, steady it between your feet, & put the cat down into it backside first.

Best luck!

• andrea_san_diego
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's one angle I've never tried and it sounds like it might work. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

• sduck2
    14 years ago

I've never met a cat who likes the carrier but it is definitely safest to transport the cat. I also leave it out for a few days since mine go running if they just hear it coming up from the cellar. I also invested in a top load carrier that not only opens from the top but also on the end. I used the vertical method before purchasing the top loader.

I'd take her to the vet too. They can tell a lot by their fur. Geez, forget the bath!!

• biwako_of_abi
    14 years ago

My cats are 17 and 15 and have never had a bath in their whole lives. They are clean and always smell good. The only time I would give a cat a bath is if it were going to be in a show or if it got into something really bad that could be harmful if ingested so it had to be washed off. There have been times when one of my cats had a "poor" coat, and that was an indication of the cat's not being well. Have you tried brushing? It might help, but the suggestion to have Cleo checked out by a vet is a good one.

By the way, what a lovely and unusual cat she is! I just looked at her picture.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    14 years ago

Cats do not need baths! Especially indoor cats. I really good brushing is all the "bathing" they need to make their coats looks shiny and healthy. Does she smell?

Why do you need to take her to the vet? Is she sick? My cat is indoor, poops and pees just fine but would is not fond of strangers and would freak at the vet. So, unless he gives me cause, he will not be going.

I do take him to my mothers when we go on vacation. When I had a traditional carrier, the easiest way to do it was to position the carrier vertically and "drop" him into it. It is not easy!