Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grama2_gw

Sweetie

grama2
10 years ago

I believe that I will soon have to put my beloved cat "Sweetie" down soon. I am feeling so much anxiety about it. She is going to be 17 next month. She has CRF and I do give her subcutaneous feedings daily. She still has days where she eats and other days very, very little. She purrs like crazy and is still very affectionate. I can tell though by looking at her that she is changing not to mention twice last week she was hiding in odd places. Once she even laid down in her litter box although I think that was because she was exhausted from trying to poop. Like most CRF cats she has nausea and constipation issues. I have next week off from work and plan on spending good quality time with her and will definately know in another week if I need to make the decision to put her down. I love thus cat so much she is the last of 4 pets that we have had since the 90's. Our first cat had to be put down at age 17 in 2007 and our 2 dogs died on 2009., She has been my fury only child for so long. That might be why I feel more anxious this time around. Thanks for being here to let me get out my sad feelings!

Comments (7)

• pamghatten
    10 years ago

Awww ... so sorry to hear this. I believe you are going to do the right thing for Sweetie, and it's never easy.

Give her plenty of love next week!

• Lily316
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear this. I know exactly how you feel. You'll know when the right time is.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Very sorry to hear about your kitty's decline. I hope you and she get to spend some quality time together before her time here on earth is over.

I wish you peace in the days and weeks t come....

• Elly_NJ
    10 years ago

I hear you, grama. Peace to you and Sweetie.

• grama2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! I spoke with her vet yesterday afternoon and asked if I could try increasing her feedings to twice a day instead of daily so now she will get double the amount of subcutaneous feedings. She also told me to warm up her fancy feast before feeding it to her. She ended up eating most of it! Well, let me tell you I came home a little while ago and found a big poop in the middle of my LR floor. I wasn't upset I was glad she was able to poop. Lol... Probably the extra fluids already working. Hopefully, the next time she be able to do it in the box. My poor baby!!! Thank you everyone for your support I truly appreciate it! :)

• quasifish
    10 years ago

(((HUGS))) It sounds like you have a good vet who can and does offer good advice. Don't know whether to laugh or cry about that poop in your livingroom- BTDT and was happy about it, like you.

I lost my 17 year old CRF girl last year. She was the last of 3 animals we had since the 90s, so I surely relate to your sorrows. Give her lots of love and comfort.

• grama2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks quasifish! I am sorry on the loss of your cat last year. I know it must of been very hard to say goodbye to her. I am dreading when my moment comes to say goodbye to my girl. She use to be a very anti-social cat at one time but when I had to put down my other cat "Purrie" in 2007 it was as if Sweetie knew I was in such sorrow. She went from anti-social to my best friend overnight. She knew I needed her and she needed me. I will give her good quality time this week and I am going to think positive unlike last week when I let my emotions overun me.