Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

My puppy pees in MY bed

toomuchglass
17 years ago

I'm at the end of my rope with her - one minute she's so loving and makes me laugh - then the next thing I know there's a big puddle right in the middle of my bed and I'm ready to explode! She's 6 months old now .... not quite housebroken yet *sigh*..

but peeing IN MY BED ? What's that all about ? Got any ideas ?

Comments (38)

• laurief_gw
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ideas? Only the obvious --- don't let her on your bed until she's reliably housebroken.

Laurie

• cnvh
    17 years ago

Ditto... she should not be allowed on any furniture, at the very least until she is reliably house-trained.

By 6 months old, a puppy should absolutely be on its way to being housetrained, at least for a few hours at a time...

Time to return to Housebreaking 101: Get a crate and USE IT if you are not able to directly supervise your pup, take her out OFTEN and praise the heck out of her whenever she potties outside, take her out after meals, play, etc.-- there's a wealth of other housebreaking info on this board, go researching if you need more tips.

As for your bed, if she smells her "spot" there, she's more likely to go there again. So keep that bedroom door CLOSED!!!!!!!!!

• debbiep_gw
    17 years ago

When one of mine was a puppy she did that about twice and it always seemed to be that she was upset with us and that was her way of getting me back.Probably from shutting her out of the room while I was in there.She was around 6 months or so to.I got a waterproof mattress pad cover.I wouldn't have a pet without a mattress cover.Its a essential here.She's never done it again but they have vomitted on the bed.

• GammyT
    17 years ago

Do you take her out before you go to bed and give her plenty of time? Hurry up I want to go to bed, isn't puppy time, she might need to sniff for 5-10 minutes before she finds the spot to really empty.

Is there a certain time she wets the bed? At 6 months old I hope you know how long she can hold it. If she is up to holding it for 6 hours then during house training set your alarm for the 5 1/2 hour point and work your way up.

• mazer415
    17 years ago

How much do you take your pup outisde? Honestly, I think she has not yet figured out the SIGNAL to go and needs help with that. Some dogs are so in the moment, they are like little kids and wait too long. In a situation like this, Taking your pup out for walks and when she does PP, give her a command like pp outside, or anything which works for you. The minute she starts her flo, tell her the command and let her know she is a good girl. I think 3 times a day on walks for a week should set the command into her head, and hopefully she will become more aware of her time to go signals. If this does not resolve itself, a vet check is in the future.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The thing is --- I'm home all day with her. I must let her out at least 10 times a day. She goes out with my other dogs and when she sees them pee - she pees. She has peed in bed 3 times already & she does it when I'm not looking. She KNOWS she did wrong - she cowers when I go in the room.
    I spoke with the vet about her and the vet checked her out and said she seems to be above average intellegence - so she thinks it's just stubborness. Maybe I'll just go in her crate & pee. LOL I've never had a dog like this - no wonder I have grey hair !

• luvdogs
    17 years ago

LOL !!

Yes, go in her crate and pee. But remember, there are perverts on this forum that might like to watch that. But they'd be dog-loving perverts so they're ok.

Unorthodox idea: If she does it again, scream, rant and rave and scare her so much she'll associate. I once had a dog that would defecate in the house in the morning as I was getting ready for work. That's one of the last things I wanted to do while I was just clean - pick up poop!! One time I flipped out at him about it. I became a lunatic (not uncommon for me) and he never did it again.

LOL

vicky

• Rose_Qld
    17 years ago

Hi, was just having a quick lurk, remembered our last pup doing this. She, also at about 6 months, would break off from a vigorous game with her "auntie" dog, rush to our bed and dump a steaming puddle. She also a few times made a special trip upstairs to deposit droppings between our bed and the far wall. To all intents and purposes she was house trained and had excellent access to the outdoors in the tropics. I am quite sure there was some ulterior motive. No doubt I indicated displeasure verbally, and yes, shut the door and I seem to remember these behaviours stopped quickly and permanently.

• measure_twice
    17 years ago

she does it when I'm not looking.
    Always be looking. Anytime the dog is not in a pen or crate, put it on a leash and tie the leash to your belt.

She KNOWS she did wrong - she cowers when I go in the room.
    She does not know she did wrong. She does not cower when she pees - she associates you in that room with punishment. Proof: have someone put her in that room, then walk in. The dog will cower.

Our trainer gave us this advice:
    "Any time you see the dog has peed in the house, roll up a magazine. Then smack yourself on the head with it, saying 'I should have been watching the dog! I should have been watching the dog!'"

• Meghane
    17 years ago

I love your trainer measure twice!

Toomuchglass, if it helps any, I'm going through the same thing with Tatya. Well, I went through it twice, and I've finally trained myself to shut the door. Also as soon as she starts playing with the other dogs, I take her outside. She does the same thing that rose qld's dog did. Yelling like a lunatic also helps. When Aleks was young we had a no dogs on furniture rule (he was the firstborn so got away with nothing- all subsequent dogs have been allowed on the sofa). I walked into the apartment and found him sound asleep on the sofa. Snuck up behind him and screamed like a banshee. You couldn't PUT the dog on ANY piece of furniture after that, even 10 years later. Apparently, screaming banshees have some authority even over Huskies. You absolutely MUST catch them in the act, otherwise no matter what you do they won't associate the correct wrong thing with your ranting and raving lunacy. I'm tethering Tatya now too, because she gets into EVERYTHING!

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yelling like a lunatic would be 'easy' for me .... LOL
    I did shut the bedroom door now - we'll see. There's no way I can watch her 24/7 ... but from the responses - I know there's hope yet !

• schoor
    17 years ago

My neighbour is going through the same thing! He's a 6 month old Beagle and pee's on her bed, not the kids bed, but her bed only. She is frustrated and yes she closes the door now but like she says, when she walks in the room, even if only for a second, he is there and up and peeing instantly. She has to keep the door closed at all times. Even if she is just in the room for a second because it has gotten to the point that he just pushes through her legs and up on the bed doing his thing!

I am thinking he is marking his territory maybe? She, after all, is his primary caregiver/mom. Maybe he is telling her boyfriend that this is his "girl"?? And he can smell his scent on the bed??? I don't know...

• tarajo22
    17 years ago

i have a female 6 month beagle. she does the same. before i would pick the water up at 7pm and take her for 15 minutes before bed. but she would still pee on the bed. never while anyone was in it. so i started closing the door constantly. that seemed to work until recently. one night she just up and went on the foot of the bed on my feet. so i talked to my vet. he said the bed thing is crate training until they are completely potty trained...only take them out to eat play in hour intervals and to go outside...if i had to leave her out of the crate use doggie diapers just when they wet leave them on for a little while. they work the same way pullups for kids do....they get wet they stay wet for a while and eventually they will stop. he also said Mans Best Friend was good at training in different areas, and puppy pads only tell your dog its ok to go in the house. Hope that helps.

• Gina_W
    17 years ago

The yelling like a lunatic absolutely works. The last indoor pee my dog took on a nice wool rug, DH yelled so loud the dog yelped with fright and I thought DH was killing him, LOL. Never peed in the house again. He was 5 months old.

• annzgw
    17 years ago

schoor,
    Tell your friend to put the dog on a leash any time she enters her room and correct him if he heads for the bed. She should keep him under 'her' control.........right now she is under 'his'.
    Hopefully she's not allowing him to get on the bed at any time, since he has obviously claimed it.

• prairie_love
    17 years ago

Toomuchglass,

I'm an infrequent contributor here, but I am going to disagree with some of the others. Please don't scream and rant and rave at your puppy. Do you really want to train her by scaring her? It isn't necessary.

I have two suggestions. First, you said you have taken her to the vet. How recently? One of my puppies peed on our bed - when she had a bladder infection. She simply couldn't control her bladder. If your six-month-old puppy cannot hold it for more than an hour or so, I would be concerned about an infection.

Second, when I was at my wit's end housetraining two puppies at the same time (dumb idea, I might add), it finally hit me. One problem is that in housetraining a puppy, we are trying to teach two things at the same time. One is to not pee (or poop) in the house. Our puppies actually did seem to know this, and I'm betting yours does too.

But the second thing we are trying to teach is to let us know when they need out. This is the part that ours were having difficulty with - they did not know how to tell us. So I bought a leather strap with bells on it (it was near Christmas time) and DH hung it near the door. When a puppy went anywhere near that door, we went over, pointed at the bells very excitedly and said in a high-pitched excited tone "do you want out?" As soon as the little nose barely touched the bells we went nuts, very excited, very happy - and took the puppy outside. As soon as we showed them a way to let us know, one puppy was housetrained THE NEXT DAY! The other one had an active bladder infection and it took a week before she was able to tell us she needed out.

Does your pup have a way to tell you she needs out? If not, she needs one - whether its bells or barking or scratching or doing headstands or whatever. She needs to know how to give you the signal.

Oh, and I totally agree with the point that your puppy should not be unsupervised at any time until she is housetrained.

Hope this helps.

• prairie_love
    17 years ago

Sorry, I just realized that toomuchglass started this thread back in May. I certainly hope your puppy is housetrained by now! But, for others who may read this with similar issues, I still say please don't use the yell and scream approach, but think about what you are trying to train your dog.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yep -- my Puppy is FINALLY Housebroken ! She's a year old now .. and I'd say up untill a few months ago - she still had accidents. Sure took her long enough to "get the idea" . I'm so happy not to have to check my bed anymore before I climb into it ! LOL

• pammyfay
    17 years ago

For any future readers, I'd like to add this point, too: Your bed is big. Very big. Compared to what she'd be in if she were crated. So she could pee anywhere on the bed and then move a few inches away and feel she's still in her "clean" space. Defeats the purpose of crating--that dogs won't soil where they sleep.

I was also wondering, were you playing with her while she was in bed? Even belly rubbing would get a 6-month-old excited and pee-ready.

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    17 years ago

In my case ..no ... she was crated for sleeping ...never even knew what a bed was .. but would jump on it and pee when I went in the bedroom to do something. I don't think I'll EVER know why .

• cinnanene
    17 years ago

We have a 4.5 mo old goldendoodle that has gotten on our bed x2 and peed. We have 2 other poodles and they are allowed to sleep with us and just be up there. Do you think she is jealous and retalliating (sp)becasue she is not allowed up there?

• klimkm
    17 years ago

Don't let the dog on the bed and keep your bedroom off limits til she learns.

And you CAN'T take a puppy out often enough, until they are 1 year old and learn to bark when they need to go out.

We had some jingle bells hanging on the back door and until she got her "voice" at a year or so, she would tug on those when she needed to go.

• lily77cat_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

i am at my wits end!
    our 4 month old golden retriever has now peed on both spare beds and pood on them! and in front of me! and today has managed to pee on the futon (narrowly missing the cats!) and about 10mins ago has peed the biggest pee on our bed whilst looking at me!
    she goes out constantly and is crated but followed me up and jumped ont he bed and went!
    why do they do this? is it to mark the area? cos she has now marked every place where a human sleeps!
    and the other thing i need help with is she will not stop attacking my other dog. we are at our wits end and my husband wants to give her back!
    please help
    lily

• mazer415
    17 years ago

So let me get this straight - the puppy pees when you get up to leave after playing or what...Can you provide more info on when she is peeing...how long since she pee'd? Is she actively playing or has she stopped? More 411 pleaase

• kfntaine
    17 years ago

i have a similiar problem with my one in a half yr old peekapoo... she would get mad at me for taking her outside and would run in and potty on the bed... can noooooot get her to potty outside so i have resorted to those potty pads which she will pee on alll the time... but she wont poopy on them?!! drives me nuts, thankfully she is a small dog so lil pees and poops... but its crazy.. i think the problem may have started when she was a baby because the breeder "trained" the puppies to go on the pads, i thought easy enough to fix when she's young... nope... a never ending cycle when the breeders do that when they are babies maybe? just my experience

• mjesberg2003
    15 years ago

I feel just as crazy! I have a 6 month old lab mix who is doing amazing with house training (almost no accidents). We have the upstairs gated off because when she was really little she would go poop in the spare room but would not do it downstairs and that has been working great for us BUT in the last 2 weeks she was upstairs with me twice (I was thinking I could trust her she never pees inside unless I ignore her whining) SHE PEED ON MY BED BOTH TIMES she didn't even whine. She jumped up sniffed and peed. WHY? I would love to cuddle with her for my afternoon nap but instead I have to crate her. Shes on the couch all the time and doesn't pee? Any thoughts?

• spiritual_gardner
    15 years ago

Mjesberg2003,

There are three basic things that must be under control before pup is ready to start earning unsurprised freedom.

They are:

*Teething
    *House training
    *Chewing

These issues are a very basic foundation for dogs future behavior. Without accomplishing these things, dog is simply not ready for unsupervised freedom when not crated. This supervision should be every second, with a leash.

You have given your dog way to much freedom, to soon. If you don't severely restrict her freedom, things are going to get worse, in every category.

Keep in mind that crating and freedom restriction are temporary training tools, until dog is mature enough to move on to unsupervised freedom. Usually, this is not the case until dog has had 9 months of no accidents in the house and has chewing under control.

SG

• stefaniedurbin_gmail_com
    15 years ago

My 9 month old jack russell terrier just peed on our bed. We are currently living in Japan so our futon is on the floor. We used to let her sleep in the bed with us because it was her favorite spot but recently she has been peeing much more often than in the past. She has also stopped using her pee pad and sometimes she doesn't doesn't warn us that she wants to go out (she warns "us" by biting on my fingers and and feet--it's awful. she never bites my husband!). She wont pee in the house if she thinks we're watching and knows that she's not supposed to. They are usually large puddles so I think she just can't hold it as well or as long as she used to. I will take her to the vet this week to rule our medical issue.

A few things have changed in her life these past two months and I'm wondering which of these, if not all may be the reason for her increased inside peeing. In the past, and even sometimes these days, we could leave her for 8 hours and she would not pee until we took her outside upon return.

So, in the past two months:

1) She was spayed.

2) We had family stay for about 3 weeks so her usual penned area with bed and pee pad were moved to our room next door.

3) She stopped eating her dry dog food and I prefer feeding homemade raw food anyway so she is now 100% on a raw diet of meat and Sojos Europa (and supplements). She is probably getting a lot more fluids in her body this way but I have no way of knowing for sure.

My next concern, we are moving back to the US next month and will be visiting and staying with friends and family for a few weeks until we get to Houston where we will be living. I'm worried that all the moving will unsettle her and cause her to mark a lot more. Should I get diapers for her? I feel like that would be a lazy way out, plus she tears off any clothes I try to put on her so I think she's kill the diapers (JRT's do that kinda thing and love it).

She's off limits from our sleeping area now

Any advice would be much, much appreciated! This is the first dog I've owned as an adult and I've kinda spoiled her so I'm trying to make things right. Please help!!! I'd rather not use the banshee method cause she's already a submissive/happy pee-er with new people (she gets sooo happy/excited!) and I don't want to make that worse

Here is a picture of Penny

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/missamerazia/NEC_0212.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mc_hudd
    15 years ago

Wow! This all sounds very familiar. I got a Beagle/Cocker mix back in Dec. & he is still having accidents... He's now 7 months old.

I taught him to ring a bell when he needs to go out, but he hasn't figured out how to wake me up @ night yet, if he does ring the bell, I'm just too asleep to hear it. *I know, I know, he should be in a crate, but honestly, I guess I'm bad, b/c I would feel so bad about putting him back in a crate @ night now.* I've recently started picking up his food & water @ 7:30pm & this seems to be helping. But, still he will have occasional accidents.

I had 3 occasions where he peed on my bed. I have no clue why he did this, but it hasn't happened for several weeks now... Hopefully that was just a phase!

I have house trained a St. Bernard & a Lab. & both did exceptionally well, but this Beagle is a completely different story. I'm just glad to know it's not just me in this situation!

• spiritual_gardner
    15 years ago

Mc_hudd,

Your dog is never going to get house trained unless you bite the bullet and use the crate. It seems to me that you have a "negative" towards crates, lots of people do. That said, you need to make it a "positive". Also think of the crate as a temporary training tool that is going to help you and your dog with this and other behavior issues.

You really do need to completely start all over if you are going to be successful with your dog. He should have been well on his way with this by now and you are starting to miss the prime time of his life for potty training. You really need to commit yourself to a 9 month process, or this problem will lead to others and you will have a bigger mess on your hands.

Following is a step by step system that I use for training dogs, it's worked for lots of my clients and me.

*Potty training. Dont expect a "quick fix". To be successful with this and other training issues, you really need to crate train. Potty training correctly, is a very important issue for you and your dog. Lots of people get frustrated when their dog does not make progress. Commitment, work, consistency, treats and praise and are key to this issue. Potty training problems are one of the major reasons so many dogs wind up at the pound or back at one. Below I have listed 5 key steps to get your dog potty trained. It a simple procedure that has worked for me and lots of others. But first, some words about crate training.

Numerous people have a negative attitude about crate training. They think that the dog will be uncomfortable when crated, or they donÂt like the idea because of what they have read, heard, or just think. If you have a negative attitude, you need to make it a positive.

Crate training a newly introduced pup or even an older dog is one of the most important things you will ever do for you and your new dog. Pups and older dogs love the feeling of being closed in when they are in a strange place, especially if there is an old sheet over the crate, leaving the front open so dog can look out. If the crate has to much room for a pup to move around, put something indestructible inside to cut down on space so pup can curl up and feel secure. Leaving soft music playing when you are away pacifies the dog and helps prevent separation anxiety. Dogs of any age kept confined to the crate wonÂt get into trouble when you are away or canÂt supervise. The more room new dogs have to roam around in like a blocked off kitchen or bathroom, the more trouble they can get in to.

If you have a pup, the crate should be in your bedroom at night to help the bonding process. It is not realistic to expect a pup, used to being around litter mates and mother to like being left alone, especially at night. They get frightened and confused and make all kinds of noise.

If whining is an issue, with the sheet over the crate, gently tap on the top and firmly say "stop". This may need to be repeated a few times, but soon dog will associate your command with the crate tapping. When whining stops, give praise and treats. When you are home, practice the crating experience.

A major mistake people make is allowing dog out of the crate when they are home for long periods of time. Then, when they leave, all of a sudden the dog is crated. This can cause major separation anxiety issues because when dog all of a sudden realizes you are gone, it getÂs frightened and may think you are not coming back. Practicing the crating experience and using tons of praise for anything dog does that is right, even laying around doing nothing, reinforces the fact that dog can please you. Always make crating a positive experience.

Newly introduced dogs must earn your trust and their unsupervised freedom from the crate. Lots of people try to do this to quickly. This confuses the dog with to much space to roam around in. To be successful with your dog, initially you simply must supervise every second when dog is out of the crate. Dog should have a leash on when out so you can easily grab it and take the dog out when you need to or to keep it out of trouble. Frozen Kongs stuffed with cheese or peanut butter or other toys that donÂt splinter should also be available for dog to chew on. Never leave dog alone with a small chew toy, it could get lodged in the mouth or throat. Keep in mind that dog is looking at you and an alpha dog figure for guidance, not a human. It is your duty to provide this.

When dog is house trained and you can start to trust the way things are going, weaning dog from the crate can start usually at around 9-10 months. This also must be done gradually so dog wonÂt get confused. About 10 minute intervals without a leash over the course of about one month or more is essential, depending on how well dog is doing. When dog is good give tons of praise and perhaps a treat. While dog is out of the crate, give lots of praise for anything good done, like drinking water, laying around, chewing on a toy, etc. Anything dog does that is positive should get recognition, this builds confidence and lets dog know that it is able to please you.

To get dog used to your absence, leave the house with dog outside of the crate for only a few minutes. Leave the crate door open, return inside and give tons of praise and treats if dog has been good. If dog has gotten into only minor mischief, state your displeasure by firmly stating that dog was bad. Dogs are very visual creatures, only minor scolding and the look of your face should get the point across. Gradually increase time when dog is alone over the course of a month or so depending on how well things go.

HOUSE TRAINING

**When house training a dog it is very important for you to pick a system and stick with that, rather than switch if things are not going well. Switching will only confuse you and your pup. If you are not having success, you need to back up and start over, only go slower. House training is the first major step dog is going to take in earning your trust, this is simply a must for any indoor dog. If you have an older dog that needs to potty trained, you need to treat dog like a pup.

Here is a simple step by step method for potty training that worked for me. It also has worked for others. Keep in mind that *teething *chewing & *potty training, are critical behavior issues, what I refer to as a foundation for other future training. These are also critical steps dog must have under control to earn your trust and eventual freedom from the crate.

1. First you need to realize that not all dogs are the same in this category. Some get it within a week or less, others take longer etc. How you might ask do I know so much about potty training?? I rescued a 4 month old Shepard/Hound last year, my fourth dog in 16 years. (I have two others that were a snap to train). She took about 5 months to potty train. This is an unusually long time, I had to back up numerous times and start over. I dug into her past and found out that she was traumatized by her experience before I came along. She completely missed the prime time of her life to be potty trained. I was really forced to take small baby steps forward after very minimal progress.

MOST dogs wonÂt go in their crate. If pup does, remove blankets or padding. This should cure that problem. If problems persist, increase time when no padding is on the floor.

2. You need to start potty training by taking dog out immediately after dog comes out of the crate. Then, gradually increase length of time to regular intervals (gradually increased over the course of one-two months depending on how successful dog is doing). Get dog used to the commands "go poo" and "go pee". These commands should be a must, they are incredibly helpful when the weather is bad.

If dog doesn't do anything, that's fine, if it does, give tons of praise and give a treat, preferably one used just for training purposes. Consistency is the key to all of this. Dogs are creatures of habit and depend on a schedule. This is no time to skimp on excessive praise and treats when you are house training. Pup needs to associate yummy treats with doing itÂs thing. Boiled or baked chicken liver is a great training tool, dogs crave it and you really have their attention when you use it.

2. Daily walks at least twice a day (about 20-30 minutes each in the same area) are essential for dogs and getting them house trained. Walking gets things moving, dogs love it and it gives them something to look forward to. Try and feed a pup prior to the walks. Never free feed unless your vet says to. Pups have a high metabolism. Soon after it eats or drinks, it will need to go out.

3. Pups drink huge amounts of water. In theory yours should be able to hold it for (one hour for each month) up to about 9 months. In reality, if a young pup has been playing, it will gulp down lots of water, and just won't be able to hold it for that long. After pup drinks, keep an eye on it. Take it out in about 5-10 minutes and offer it relief. Soon pup will go to the door when it need to go out.

4. Your pup won't be considered house trained unless it has no accidents for at least 9months! Also, as I learned, there is a HUGE difference in a dog that is 4-6 months old and one that is 9-10 months old. They grow inside and out, they mature. Once they reach 9-10 months, their bladders are larger and able to hold it longer.

5. Piddle pads and newspapers should never be used. Some have suggested them, and have had success with them. If you start to use them and dog gets accustomed to doing itÂs thing on them, you could have a very difficult time getting dog to go on grass or even get dog outside. Some people see these pads and papers as a short cut to potty training. It is not. Dogs really need a natural area to relieve themselves.

Because dogs are creatures of habit, they will associate the pads and papers with relieving themselves and you may find yourself starting all over in the potty training department, which would make for even more work for all involved. In other words, when was the last time you saw a wolf (dogs closest cousin) use a pee pad?

Good luck !

SG

• info_lotusdigitalphotography_com
    15 years ago

I don't agree with you guys about pee pad training. I have a morkie who is 4 pounds. I trained her early on to go in a pan on pee pads because I wanted to protect her from the elements. I let her out on occasion to play. When she turned about a year old, I would let her out with my older yorkie and she started going to the bathroom outside. She still goes on the pads when the weather is bad and does not pee or poop in the house otherwise. I have a new puppy who goes on the pad and also outdoors, but I am having to stay on top of her because she is inconsistent and has accidents every few days. She just peed on the bed for the first time. I believe it's because it was raining outside today and she didn't get all the playing and outside peeing out of the way. She did run to go on the pads a couple of times, but she was not consistent. I still believe you can train a dog to eliminate both on pads and outdoors, but like anything, it takes time and patience. Crate training is essential.

• dabunch
    15 years ago

I would just like to ad that some smaller dogs pee quite often in their first year.

One of my dogs had to go out like every 45 minutes in her first year. I thought something was wrong. Then my friend told me that she had the same thing with a Pekinese. I guess its the tiny bladders that can't hold much...or maybe their sphincter muscles don't develop as quickly...

I used a crate. During the day I took her out frequently. She learned quickly, but those trips to the door were getting on my nerves. After a year she normalized. Strange, I tell you.

She graduated to sleeping in my bed, but not until she started peeing less often (1 year). I don't recall if she peed in the crate (she's 13 now). I often wondered if she would have peed in the house had I not been available to take her out frequently.

• supernatural3_gmail_com
    14 years ago

OK, I have had dogs all my life and always trained them from puppy stage with no problems. I have always used crate training with very good success. One former puppy I did have to have neutered, and he never peed in the home again. He lived for 15 years and we had to put him down. But, we have since bought a new shih-tzu, only this time a girl.

She knows she is doing wrong and will run and hide if we catch that she left a spot. She is walked several times a day and let outside quite often. She finally quit peeing in her cage, (I had to remove the towel) but still occasionally pee's, and doesn't care if she lays in it.

She has been to the vet with no UTI. However: this 6 month old puppy wants to pee on every piece of furniture I have. She has also pooped twice on my couch. She is about to be sold. I cannot take this.... I refuse to have to replace my furniture, because my puppy, who knows better, is having some need to secretly jump up and immediately pee. The only time she is let out of the crate, is when someone is watching her. However; I have 5 kids, so she is let out a lot. When one kid thinks the other is watching, she will sneak away and whiz.... This is pathetic.

She has peed on my bed, and every piece of furniture I own. Yet, she isn't allowed on furniture at all. She isn't allowed on my bed either. She also won't do this if I am in the room, as she only does this with my kids.

I think the dog was inbred and it's seller did not disclose this information. Could that be a possibility?

This 6 month year old, whines and cries in her cage too. She actually sounds like she is being stabbed to death or murdered, when all she wants is out. I am really starting to think there is something wrong with her. While I love dogs, this one is rotten.

Suggestions?

• dabunch
    14 years ago

SN3,

I've only owned Shih tzus, so I know their personalities really well.

I'm wondering if your dog is not tolerating the kids very well. Most Shih Tzus (unless exposed to kids by the breeder) are not very good with them. Kids are too hyper and make them too excited or nervous.

Potty training requires a lot of patience,persistence, and a routine schedule, at first.

Many Shih Tzus come from puppy mills. If you haven't seen the parents, chances are that her breeding may be compromised.

IF there is no medical problem with the dog (like being born with something on the brain, or kidney, or other "control" condition), your dog should be trainable.

I have NEVER had a problem training my Shih Tzus. In fact, I brag how quick they are to train.

Here's a suggestion. When she goes in the furniture, tell her a stern NO! Pick her up and take her immediately outside. Tell go here! Don't be mad at her outside. Just leave her there walking around for a couple of minutes. Then bring her in without a reaction. Just walk away.Obvioulsy she won't have to go, but that should tell her that she should go outside.

As for regular training:
    Try to walk her a couple of times a day to make sure she poops. Praise her when she does her business.

At first, take her out regularly, like every hour or two. When she pees outside, IMMEDIATELY, praise her LAVISHLY (get all excited) and give her a good treat. You want her to associate peeing with something good (positive reinforcement).IF there are no medical problems, she should learn within 2 weeks.

BTW- Don't react if she pees in the crate. Chances are that by the time you see it, she has forgotten that she peed, so you don't her associating something negative with the crate.

Just a side note: Many Shih Tzus have kidney issues. I'm wondering if the ones that have training issues don't develop into kidney problems as they get old. This is just my own theory...It seems to me that the Shih Tzus that had some kind of issues from Day 1, their health was compromised later in life... As puppies, they give you real subtle clues.

Example: the Shih Tzu I have now you can see from my post above, used to pee every 45 minutes in her first year... Today she has some kidney issues. The other ones that seemed normal as puppies,never had kidney issues.

• pjb999
    14 years ago

Most dogs will wait til they practically burst before they'll pee in their crate, cause that's THEIR place.

Medical issues aside, this is usually behavioural and you have to establish the pecking order firmly, and make sure you deodorise effectively with nature's miracle or something similar, if they smell a reminder, they will go there again.

Good luck.

• sherylv
    13 years ago

My six month old lab mix is doing the exact same thing! We've had her for about six weeks and she was making excellent progress in the housebreaking department. Then we rearranged the living room and my daughter, who was using my sofa bed, came to me to tell me the puppy had peed on her bed! Unheard of! It didn't happen again and we thought it an isolated incident, but then we switched rooms around...my bed...where she and my poodle sleep (and for the record she can hold it all night, and to date has never wet the bed overnight) replaced the sofa bed when that room became my room. The first night was fine, the second night she peed right in the middle of my bed! A day went by and all was fine and then today, after a whole day without an accident, she jumped up and peed in my bed!

I keep wondering if the repositioning of the furniture and then the shifting of rooms has something to do with it, or if it's just a coincidence. Also, I've noticed that both times she peed my bed it was after a tussle with the poodle, with whom she shares the bed. Could it be a marking behavior? Do female pups mark? Or is she letting me know she's upset?

I am going to have her seen by the vet when he gets back on Monday, because yesterday I saw her walking across the living room..peeing!!! While she walked she also peed and left a very long zig zag trail in her wake =P
    She didn't seem to really notice!

Regarding crates: She screams like a gutshot panther when she's in her crate. We do crate her when we're not home, and if she fusses she fusses, but we all work for a living and cant be up all night....every night...because the puppy is shreiking like a banshee. She doesn't give up either....she will screech ALL NIGHT LONG until morning comes and we let her out. We know this. We've tried....six, seven hours later she's still fussing and none of us has gotten a wink of sleep. Likewise she won't sleep in a room without another dog. She will stay up all night, whining at the door. All night. Every night.

She's a rescue pup, and she's clearly not the brightest crayon in the box, but I absolutely adore her. I just want a dry bed!

• Adrienne Farricelli
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

This can be due to several causes, but the most important step is to first rule out any medical problems considering that these can play a big role. If your dog is older and female, some leakage may be due to weakening of the urinary sphincters. In young dogs instead urinary tract infections may play a role. Since your dog is a puppy, incomplete house training can play a big role if no UTI is found.

After having ruled out medical causes, next thing is to consider behavior problems. This can be quite a lot to cover. Here is a rundown on several causes and solutions: https://pethelpful.com/dogs/Why-Does-My-Dog-Pee-on-My-Bed-12-Practical-Hacks-to-Stop-it