Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Benedryl for dogs - who knew?

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 (My Page) on
Sun, May 12, 13 at 9:41

After multiple very expensive trips to the vet each spring for skin problems, I find out about Benedryl. Each year about this time, our lab starts scratching bumps around his head and neck to the point where everything is infected. The vet would shave him, give him a steroid shot and then some pills which I now know is a antihistimine.

Well, when it started this year, we started on Benedryl and the problem is solved! We cannot afford $200 plus for this each year and the vet knew that. Thank goodness for the internet!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Benedryl for dogs - who knew?

Been giving our lab benedryl for years. Baby aspirin too.

o

My vet told me years go that he sees a lot of cats with bumps on their ears this time of year, and he finally researched it/narrowed it down to an allergy to tree pollen, likely oak. (I'm in New England.)

o

Our dog is allergic to something outside. Not sure what but he is fine if there is snow on the ground. Our vet told me that you can also give Zyrtec, Allegra and Claritin. Dose varies by medication and weight. She sent us home with dosages for each and to try what works best.. I opted for Zyrtec and it seems to help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here