Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovepoco

My dog shivers - but she's not cold

ilovepoco
15 years ago

Has anyone had a dog that displayed shivering episodes that don't seem to be temperature related? I'm wondering if there are any conditions that I should look into where shivering is a symptom.

My 10-year-old female Jack Russell Terrier frequently has shivering episodes that can last 5 minutes to an hour. It's not constant shivering, I've timed her and it's typically something like 3 seconds shivering/3 seconds not. When it's hapening, she is very very needy and usually crammed between my legs as I work at my desk or following me step by step around the house.

She's your typical hard-as-nails JRT, but she's always had a "delicate stomach". Ever since puppyhood, she will put herself on regular fasts where she will refuse all food for a day or two, then be completely normal for weeks. She also seems to display an inordinate amount of gut gurgles and gassiness at times.

She doesn't seem to show any pain or tenderness anywhere on her body.

I've mentioned this to the vet several times over the years, but she's never showing any symptoms when we are actually in the office. The shivering is fairly new, so we will be taking her in for a complete checkup later this week.

Thanks,

Susan

Comments (3)