Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
an odd new behavior

Posted by cindyandmocha (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 10 at 2:57

You all know I have a pack of 4 -- Rusty (10 yrs), Mocha and Ginger (8 yrs) and Gypsy (13 yrs).

All are spayed/neutered for a LOOOOONG TIME.

Recently, Rusty (11) has been trying to mount Ginger (8). BTW, Ginger worships Rusty. He is her "guy". I just find it odd that this week he's been trying to mount her.

And worse, when he tries (though she refuses at first), she seems to flirt with him afterwards.

To me its just odd after all these years. I am just curious about this behavior. Handymac, I bet you have had some experience with this.

Anyone weigh in.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: an odd new behavior- more info

BTW........

Rusty was neutered at 3 yrs old.

Ginger was spayed at 6 months old.

Mocha was netuered at 8 wks old.

Gypsy was spayed at 13 yrs old (my dad in law's dog that insisted get fixed when he moved in with us 5 yrs ago).

o
RE: an odd new behavior

Mounting is often a display of aggression. We had a female (spayed) dog who mounted her stuffed animals because they were the only things she could have control over.

o

Yes....though I wouldn't call it aggression as much as dominance. My little fourteen pound Iggy likes to stand on my shoulders and look down on me when I am in bed. He is asserting dominance to the pack. (IN his dreams)

o

I agree it is an act of dominance, it is not aggressive tho it can turn aggressive. I would take your female to the vet.....could be something is wrong and she is giving off a different scent....Hope everything turns out okay. PS - it is best to stop the behavior before it turns nasty. Good Luck

o

Sometimes if the entire ovary wasn't removed in the spay, it can grow back v-e-r-y slowly and eventually cause her to go into heat. That may provoke Rusty into his new behavior. Another remote possibility is that Rusty was cryptorchid and the non-descended testicle wasn't removed. That can lead to a Sertoli cell tumor with increased testosterone and typical male behavior. Usually a non-descended testicle is inert, but if it became a tumor it can start to secrete testosterone. Since you didn't mention that he was cryptorchid this is probably not the case. I've seen some weird cases where the female had a UTI and it provoked male sexual behavior too. Otherwise it is probably just a dominance display as mentioned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here