Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone5agreenthumb

Masitits in Queen, cabbage among treatment

zone5agreenthumb
13 years ago

About 3 weeks ago some worthless and selfish good for nothing person dropped a pregnant cat at my house. (the 2nd in 5 yrs) off at our house. she birthed 7 kittens on 5/13 (pictures can be seen by clicking the LINK below ) Well one was still born but we have 6 healthy little ones.

Baby Mama (since the vet said she was a baby herself) is so amazing, and she must have had mastitis developing but showed no signs. The kittens never missed a meal, she was so attentive. Wednesday night 5/19 about 6pm she had diarrhea, again at 7:30 and vomit at 8:30. she was by herself (this cat never left us or her kittens from the day we got her)she was very disoriented and in agony. I took her to the vet ER at about 10pm that night, they said her temp was 106.5 (later they said it spiked to 107.5) and the normal is 101.5. She was anesthetized and cathed for an IV, she was on fluids for 24 hours, the kittens, I had brought them into the clinic about 11pm and they stayed there too. She is on AMOX (2x a day for 10 days @ home)and a pain med (gave her last dose tonight, the kittens get so sleepy from it they pass out)and she never ceased nursing or caring for them. She would be in so much pain her tongue would be sticking out as if she was biting it but never for a second did she neglect the little ones. Treatment was also Cabbage leaves on the infected teats. I have heard it works, and I cannot believe how fast the teat softened compared to the similar cases I have read about.

There has been a bit of bleeding I think is from the teat, there is no wounds and when I compress the teat for cabbage treatment I saw dried blood on the towel. Called the vet and she said bleeding somewhat is OK. I just wanted to know if anyone has any stories of their mastitis in their Queens, and how long it lasted and their treatment fails/successes. I am nervous to make sure I do this right, the vet bill was over 700 dollars, and that is before I have to spay/neuter her and the babes. We will keep Baby Mama, and I want her to have a long and healthy life so I am worried she will have another inflammation. Thanks!!

Nervous cat grandmother of 6, now mother to 7 adult cats and 2 dogs.

Louann

NY

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Baby Mama and kittens

Comments (5)

• debd18
    13 years ago

I've never been through this with an animal, but I had it myself after my first child. I don't imagine it behaves very differently for animals. It's a very painful condition, so she is a very good mom to continue caring for her babies through all that.

What happened with mine, was that the dr. drained off as much pus as possible with a needle, but most of it was too deep to reach. Then he put me on antibiotics and over the next few days, everything gradually came to the surface. The pain lessened and the area remained soft. As long as it remains soft, you'll know the inflammation is going down. I had small amounts of blood that seeped out and after several days, it began to seriously drain on its own. I helped it along with warm, wet compresses until it was all out.

I think mastitis usually happens because of cracked skin from sore nipples allowing bacteria to enter. Once the nipples harden from nursing, the skin stops cracking. For this reason, I don't think she'll have any future problems once this drains and she finishes her antibiotic, but like I said, just watch that the area remains soft and doesn't get more red and inflamed. Hot compresses could speed things along, too.

It's awfully kind of you to take the kitties in. Best of luck with them.

• zone5agreenthumb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well today it ruptured, oh I did not know this would happen! It looks like (sorry if this is TMI)like one huge stretch mark across the one teat and it is oozing clear non-stinky pus. I cannot pin her down to compress her anymore, and when she lays with the babes she is nursing them all the time now (since at least one teat is without milk)I frantically called the vet ER to talk with the doc who treated her (since she wont see my regular vet until the she and the babes start vaccines)and she said this is normal and this will stop and heal within the week since she is on antibiotics. I wish there was a website or something out there about mastitis, any of Gods creatures who lactate can get this, it would be nice to start something that would share stories. I just had no idea what to look for, and what to expect and what might happen in the course of the affliction. Thanks for your story, I need all the reassurance I can get! I just hope I can find a low cost clinic for spay and neuter, the babes and mother will cost me so much when I tack on this weeks vet bill!

• zone5agreenthumb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well today it ruptured, oh I did not know this would happen! It looks like (sorry if this is TMI)like one huge stretch mark across the one teat and it is oozing clear non-stinky pus. I cannot pin her down to compress her anymore, and when she lays with the babes she is nursing them all the time now (since at least one teat is without milk)I frantically called the vet ER to talk with the doc who treated her (since she wont see my regular vet until the she and the babes start vaccines)and she said this is normal and this will stop and heal within the week since she is on antibiotics. I wish there was a website or something out there about mastitis, any of Gods creatures who lactate can get this, it would be nice to start something that would share stories. I just had no idea what to look for, and what to expect and what might happen in the course of the affliction. Thanks for your story, I need all the reassurance I can get! I just hope I can find a low cost clinic for spay and neuter, the babes and mother will cost me so much when I tack on this weeks vet bill!

• Lily316
    13 years ago

You're a very kind person to take care of this poor mom cat and her babies. Mastitis is not fun. I had it once while nursing my second child. Never had experience with an animal though.

• olyagrove
    13 years ago

No help with mastitis, just wanted to say, Louann, you are a wonderful person for helping moma cat and her babies.