Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
buried pet

Posted by leah438 (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 0:24

I recently had to bury my daughters cat and we planted a lilac on top of him like we did with my cat years ago. Except I planted a Magnolia over mine. I've noticed the bush was doing well for the last 2 months but now it has leaves that are brown on the edges and curling. Did I pick the wrong kind of plant for this? Is there anything I can do to help the lilac? It couldn't be caused by my dog peeing on it could it? None of my other lilacs have been affected by him.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: buried pet

I would think this is a garden forum question.

o

If the lilac is small then yes, your dog peeing on it all the time could damage it. Have you been watering it regularly?
Lilac's are prone to fungal and bacterial disease so I'd take a cutting into your local nursery to see if it can be saved.

o

I can pass along this information from having made a mistake with two lilac bushes. They do not like to live in very wet soil. I killed one lilac, but managed to rescue the other by transplanting it from the wet area to a well drained hillside.

Another thing is that lilacs like alkaline soil, so if you have acidic soil as I do, it is a good idea to put ground limestone or wood ashes around them periodically.

I'm sorry for the loss of both kitties, now and in the past. I think planting a flowering bush on the spot(s) is a lovely memorial.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here