Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cat grooming?

Posted by carolssis (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 22:29

We adopted a cat last July. She was underweight and very skittish. She has over come those problems, but I see that she doesn't really groom herself. She was 3 years old when we took her home, and should know how to groom herself by now. I've taken a wet washcloth to her fur several times to try to help her out, it does not inspire her to continue her grooming. Her fur is very thick, she appears to be a Russian Blue. One of her adoption papers had that on it, not completely crossed out. Any way, how do I teach her to groom herself? Her fur is getting an oily feel, and I can see the dead skin if I pull her fur back to look at the roots. I do have a good brush to use, just not sure if I should until I get some advice. Any help will be gratefully appreciated! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cat grooming?

Much as I don't like to go to the vet, I think I'd take her to the vet

She may have more than just cluelessness as to grooming (even orphaned kittens groom themselves, it doesn't seem to me to be a learned behavior, like hunting);
it may be an aversion due to the way the skin tastes or feels, or her tongue may feel dry or unpleasant.

I wish you both the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here