Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a mulch that deters fleas?

Posted by kittens (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 25, 10 at 20:24

I'm getting ready to set up an outdoor enclosure for my cats. Is there anything I can put down that is pet friendly and would deter fleas in the area? It's going to be up against my house so I don't want anything that would bring in termites, either. Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a mulch that deters fleas?

cedar mulch is good for deterring unwanted bugs but if you aren't already, you should be treating them with monthly flea/heartworm preventative. :)

o

The cedar mulch is a good idea for keeping things smelling nice, you can also plant some white sage or artemisia to help out but to really deter fleas you MUST put donw something like Diatomaceous Earth (not the kind for a pool - that has added chemicals in it you dont want) get it from a garden store or on line. A small bag will last years. You can place the DE around the perimeter of the yard, the house and the enclosure. Be sure to not inhale the stuff too much, and it must be applied after a rain. Other than DE - the best thing you can use on your pets is Advantage or Frontline. Good luck

o

Thank you. I'm going to look into the Diatomaceaus Earth and see how that works as long as it's safe to use around them. I was really hoping to avoid having to treat them but will do so if it's needed.

o

Heartworms are especially important to prevent because there is no treatment in cats and the first symptom is often sudden death. There are topical products that prevent both heartworms and fleas and there are oral medications for heartworms only for cats. The heartworm products also protect against intestinal parasites which can be a problem depending on where you live.

o

Ahh, I'll have to consider heartworms, too. Glad I posted. I might as well go for the treatment for both since I'd prefer not to have to orally treat one of my cats (she's extremely difficult). I'll still do what I can to try keeping the area flea-free just for some extra protection for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here