Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowajojo

Thinking of getting a dog

iowajojo
10 years ago

I have been thinking about getting a dog ever since my friend got a Yorkie for Christmas. Man that dog is so dang cute! My only fear is that I have 4 grown cats. Many years ago I had a dog & cat(s) household, but it was so long ago I can't remember how I got them to like each other. I know I brought the dog in as a puppy, but I sure don't remember why they all liked each other. Is there a trick to it that someone might know? Whatever dog I get would have to be a small breed. Any breeds better than others with cats? Thanks for any advice...

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

If your cats aren't dog friendly, they could kill a yorkie.

• cindyandmocha
    10 years ago

ok regardless of Rhizo's kinda silly comment (not silly --- actually downright stupid).... yes... if you get a puppy small breed, it will likely be OK with your cats. I would do one of the smaller "lap dogs".. And btw....? I'm not a huge lap dog fan, but i think it would work in your situation.

• mazer415
    10 years ago

Oh boy. So, you will need to research your breeds, and determine if you are a good candidate for getting a dog. Cats and dogs are very different and dogs are much like 3 to 5 year old children, they can be demanding as far as attention goes, my suggestion is that you foster a dog before actually purchasing one. Small breeds can be more of a handful than larger breeds. So you really need to get some experience with dogs first. Good Luck

• cindyandmocha
    10 years ago

First, if you really want a dog... you should look for a dog that is NOT prey dog. A prey dog will go after your cats........... a non-prey dog will NOT.

I'm going to stop with that.. and let you research on breed behaviors as you should be doing.

• maxuna14
    10 years ago

If your cats aren't dog :) friendly, they could kill a yorkie. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: tamashebi

• eahamel
    10 years ago

Dogs and cats can and do get along. It takes time for them to work out the dominance. I have one cat and 3 dogs. Brought the kitten into the household when I had 2 dogs, and they weren't used to cats. It took a while but now they get along great. Then I got a 3rd dog, one I rescued, and she wasn't used to cats. It took a while but now they get along great.

And years ago I had 2 Siamese cats, and got a German Shepherd puppy. It didn't take long for them to let the pup know who was boss. They growled and hissed at the pup for a long time. Then one day I came home from shopping, and they were chasing each other up and down the hall! When they saw me, they stopped playing, and the cats started growling and hissing at the pup, who became very submissive. I chided them for trying to hide it from me.

I think a larger breed would be better than a smaller one. Most larger breed dogs are easier to train, and easier to housebreak. It's the housebreaking that would keep me from getting most small breeds. And, with a yorkie, there's a lot of grooming. Lots of brushing that long, silky hair, and trips to the groomer unless you're going to learn to do it yourself. Think about a 12-15 year commitment to heavy grooming.