Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherry326_gw

Bad pet rescue experience

17 years ago

I had the worst experience recently with a pet rescue group. Here's how it went down - I contacted a rescue group about a cat I was interested in which was posted on petfinder. After a long process of being interviewed and getting reference checked, I was allowed to pick out a cat. Each cat that I asked about for some reason, would not work out in my home. Finally, they suggest a cat which was around 4 years old and I was told he was extremely friendly. We took him home and bathed him because he was filthy. I took him the the vet right away, even though the rescuer said he'd been to her vet just yesterday. Well, he had an ear infection. The first vet didn't give me the right meds to take care of the infection, so I went to another and then several trips back to her. Meanwhile back at home, every day for over 2 monthes I was having to crawl under the bed and dig this cat out to medicate him twice a day. It would take me a good 30 minutes just to get him out. On our last trip to the vet we were told he had ringworm. Then my husband got it. Then I got it. Then as I was sweating bullets trying to capture him from under the bed, I came to the realization that he just thought I was the mean lady who was always coming at him with medicine. He had been becoming more and more reclusive and rather than warming up to the family members he was going the other direction. I called up the rescue group, she told me that I had done more than could be expected, and we agreed I'd bring him back. On the drive down we were talking about the other cats in her rescue, and again it was "you can't have that one, you can't have this one, " One of the cats she flat out said she was keeping for herself, yet it's still on petfinder. She also told me that she was totally pissed off that someone else in town had gotten to some cat before she got to him.

Where am I going with all this? This rescue group lied to me about the cat's breed, they lied about the age (he had to be closer to 14 than 4), and they lied about how "friendly" he was. I could have dealt with all of this and kept him except when he got something which could be spread to my other cats. Two days later she has the same cat listed, just as before and he's still sick! Plus, she made a nice pile of money off of me. My feeling is that this woman is merely running this rescue as a way to aquire cats for herself, and adopt out the one's she doesn't want to pay for the whole thing.

When we were in her house it was straightened up but it REEKED of urine. Just awful. Is that what all rescuer's homes smell like or is it that she has more animals than she can really take care of? I've never done this before and I was really put off by the whole experience.

Are most of the rescue groups like this, or did I just find a bad one?

Comments (16)

• 17 years ago

I haven't had a lot of experience with rescues. And some folks have complained that the requirements and paperwork were excessive. I'm sure rescue work is difficult and often thankless work. But that situation just doesn't seem right. How do you know about this woman and her rescue? Is she part of a larger group? Was she referred by someone you trust? You might ask your vet or some group you trust about her rep.

I don't know how Petfinder screens the groups they work with, or whether anyone can call themselves "a rescue group".

I'm sorry for your unfortunate experience -- especially when you were trying to do a good thing and help a cat in need. Hope others have more answers for you.

• 17 years ago

The adoption program I got Capone from gave me the run-around about his owners coming to get him and his buddy. First, they had three days(which is how long the 'rules' say they have... then five... then seven. When the people finally came around ELEVEN days later, they only claimed one of the dogs. I feel bad for Capone's old buddy.

Also, they mis-listed a LOT of dogs in there. It's sad. There was what was obviously a Dogo listed as a Pit Bull, Black Mouth Cur listed as Harrier, etc. Took terrible photos, too. I finally quit looking online and just drove up there every other day.

I'm sure there are great organizations out there, but it sounds like you got a stinker. I'd keep looking, though.

• 17 years ago

That's awful. A really awful story. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening to so many people. Report this person to the authorities and go to the county shelter where they are more professional and fair. And.... euthanize.

• 17 years ago

I think you couldn't adopt this one or that one because the "rescuer" wanted to get rid of the one with the ear infection.

As far as I can make out, yes, anyone can call themselves a rescue, but they can't claim to be a charity unless they've obtained tax-exempt status.

I'd tell the witch to return my money I'd call the tv station to do an expose on her racket.

& you might email Petfinder & let them know about your experience.

• 17 years ago

No, not all or even most rescues are like this, but some are. My first post-divorce dog came from a rescue that was run by a crazy woman. I tried to work with a fairly difficult rescue earlier this year and it did not work out. Their info on Petfinder was not that accurate, I could not get a chance to talk to the lady in charge at an adoption event for over a half-hour of standing there (and she did not seem to let other volunteers take questions), and dogs that were "pending" adoptions were not listed as such. I would email early in the week and just get a return email on Friday night saying "Yes, FeFe will be at the adoption event tomorrow," instead of "FeFe is going to be there, but we are almost finished with the adoption process for another family who wants her. Come see her, but she is probably taken."

The adoption organization I ended up working with had a few great features. They answered emails quickly. They talked to me without an application being done first. They talked to me at length on the phone when they did get my application and they were excited that the dog might get a good home with us. The adoption happened fairly quickly, too. These people were all experienced rescue people. Each foster parent had the authority to decide on the best home for their foster animals. They had good paperwork in place, so the foster mom could read the agreement to us, tell us all about our benefits (PetCare insurance for a month, already microchipped) and even some reading material on adopting. They even had a nice folder with a sticker with their logo on it. The foster mom brought us Bina's dog food, so we could move her slowly to our kind of food. She and I continue to correspond, too.

I guess that my advice is to keep trying and if you feel uncomfortable, trust your gut. I fell in love with a half dozen dogs on Petfinder before we got our Bina.

I still am kind of attached to BJ, a Cavalier mix in TN. Somebody go adopt her for me, okay? Bina is doing well here, though she attached herself to DH and he is happy for her to sit at his feet and not interact, so she needs to get into a class so we will all be able to interact more naturally! She is still so handshy! I have to corner her to pet her. She likes it once you start. I just called DH on the intercom on the phone and told him to pet Bina LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: BJ

• 17 years ago

You have to be able to show a 501 C(3) registration to be able to be listed as a rescue group on Petfinder. Obtaining that isn't the easiest thing in the world, either. Someone somewhere has to be able to keep records, file taxes, and do other assorted paperwork to maintain that certification. The status can be revoked if everything isn't done correctly.

It's not a requirement to be crazy to be a pet rescuer. But, it helps. ;~) Not always in a good way either, as you've discovered. A lot of people involved with these groups or sole efforts are borderline collectors. Some are over that borderline. All sincerely believe they are doing what is best for the animals. They're keeping them alive. And that's the most important thing. Quality of life doesn't figure into it.

I know of a lady in her late 60's involved with a local effort who has 70 dogs at her home and 30 cats. She's spent all of her money creating a multiple kennel environment to house them safely, as they don't all get along. It takes her all day long to feed them (measured and put into individual kennels and then the dog is led in for his correct meal for his weight and health condition). Every one of those animals would have been euthanized at the local shelter. Every one of them. They don't have the best life, as there is little time to give them the love and affection and training that pets deserve. But, they are alive.

And, that's where most rescues/rescuers get into trouble. Most believe that any life is better than euthanization. Many animals in rescue live out their lives in small kennels or cages and slowly go crazy from the noise and lack of proper attention. But, they are alive. And, their window of adoptibility is gone, because they've been there so long, they're unreachable anymore. I've seen this personally. That's one of the reasons that I believe in euthanasia for shelters and rescues. There's always going to be more unwanted pets to take their place, and maybe they can help them to find homes before the whole process makes them crazy.

Not all rescues or rescuers are collectors. Many are run by very organized and capable people who keep things on track. They have a lot of volunteers to help with the animals, and they have the resources necessary to get the exposure to get the animals homes. Not all of these groups are that restrictive on their adoption policies, but most rescues are more strict than the city shelters. It's a fine line, sometimes, between finding an animal a home, and finding them a good home, and euthanasia.

• 17 years ago

Live wire oak, that is where our Bina came from, a kennel with 150 dogs, all "rescued." She spent her entire life there. Somehow, the two ladies who kept the dogs managed to keep them mostly sane. They are as shy as all get-out, but do attach to people. All of her brothers and sisters and unrelated former kennel-mates have been good adoptees.

• 17 years ago

Live Wire Oak, your comments are just so dead on! This woman does not have any volunteers or let ANYONE else show the cats, which for the most part appear to live in a converted garage. No body gets to see the garage, she gets only the cat you are there to look at out prior to your visit. What must that garage be like! I am certain that she does have 501 C(3)registration. Something else weird was that she gave him a shot of penicillen and a vitamin shot before we left with him. My vet thought that was very odd.
    I have two cats that were adopted from the local pet shelter and they came to me healthy and clean. I have one cat from a breeder, and have made a deposit to get a baby from a breeder sometime in the next few weeks. I know a lot of people are against buying from breeders, but right now I think that's what will work best for me.

• 17 years ago

I know a lot of people are against buying from breeders, but right now I think that's what will work best for me.

I don't think buying from a breeder is a bad thing, especially if you're buying from someone who is reputable and takes good care of their animals. I've seen a lot of anti- puppy mill sentiment here, with very good reason. My (then) partner and I purchased two abyssinian cats from a very good breeder thirteen years ago. We visited her house on numerous occasions and the place was kept up very well. So, it's not necessarily a bad thing at all. :)

• 17 years ago

Not all rescues are created equal and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Please check your local animal control or kill shelter. Many cats that come into these places DO NOT come out alive. A few other places to check are-

www.petfinder.com
    www.craigslist.com
    http://www.1888pets911.org/index.php
    http://www.1-800-save-a-pet.com/

• 17 years ago

Sherry, I would definitely ask for my money back, and contact the local animal authorities. I would also contact PetFinder and tell them of this situation. It sounds like a collector to me too, and someone needs to intervene or at least check out the situation.

• 17 years ago

She sounds like a hoarder posing as a rescue. She seems to have difficulty parting with her cats even to good homes. This is an illness and she probably needs help. You probably should report her so someone can find out what's really going on. If she is on the up and up nothing bad will happen. If not, then maybe she and the cats will get the help they need.
    The founder of a rescue I worked for was also accused of hoarding. She always had between 30-50 cats. Her house did not smell and all were well taken care of. She could show proof of all the adoptions she had done, was doing and the schedules etc. for adopt a pets at the petsmarts and petcos. The Humane Society checked her out, thanked her for doing such a good job and went on their way.

• 17 years ago

beeanne,
    You answered a big question for me. Someone can actually run a rescue out of their home and not have her house and animals smell. I have been researching and mulling over if I should take any action. Here's another weird thing. She lives in an extremely rural area and her roads were flooded out on the weekend I brought the cat back to her. She had a friend pick it up from me at an agreed spot in town. The friend turned out to be someone who also posts regularly on Petfinder and runs her own cat rescue. So, now I'm totally paranoid and think that everyone in that county including the SPCA are best buddies and wouldn't look into the situation if I did put in a complaint! Maybe I could contact someone above the county level, and I will look in to that. As far as getting my money back, I signed a contract and I fully understood that there would be no refund if things didn't work out. I think I'm just pissed because the experience was so traumatic and she would never give me a chance to adopt one of her "good" pets. She did offer to replace him, and then proceeded to tell me that she "just couldn't part with this one or that one"! Live and learn.

• 17 years ago

Sherry, don't misunderstand. Because a rescuer doesn't adopt directly from their home shouldn't raise any red flags. We didn't as fosters and neither did the directer who had the majority of the animals in her home. There are a lot of weirdos out there and also you have to worry about people bringing in deseases, or sueing for whatever reason. As a foster, I absolutely was not allowed to bring the potential adopter to my house. We had to meet somewhere else. Maybe a park if not at the regular weekend adopt a pet places.
    That being said, I see all kinds of red flags from the rescue you had the misfortune of dealing with. If she has nothing to hide, then a visit from the SPCA or whoever should not pose a problem.
    If she truly wants to find good loving homes for cats, she needs to PART WITH THEM! That's what rescue and fostering is all about.It's painful but it needs to be done, so more can be saved. Otherwise she is just a hoarder who needs help. I hope she is not as bad as I think maybe she is after reading your posts. If she is, I really wonder how the cats in her care are doing.

• 17 years ago

Sounds like you should maybe contact authorities in your county or state (not local authorities) about this person to see if they have had any other complaints about it. That is really bad.

I am afraid to contact a rescue group, as I know many people who have had bad experiences with "overzealous' people who run them.

Like I work full time and we have kids 6 and 9 (raised with dogs since birth) and we don't have a fenced yard. They would likely not give us a rescue dog. Even though we have raised several dogs very happily in this environment for the last 20 years.

Yes, it would be nice if every animal got adopted to the 100% absolutely perfect environment but 95 out of 100 wouldn't be bad either.

• 17 years ago

I agree with the many posts here that says you should report this woman to the local humane society and/or authorities.

And I feel bad for you, that poor cat and all the other cats that she has in her care.

Its too bad that rescue people like her, give the other well meaning rescue groups a bad reputation. But we've all heard stories well people, in the name of rescue, create more problems than they solve.