Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonebloodyidle

Cat being sick

bonebloodyidle
14 years ago

Hi All,

My 13 year old neutered tomcat has, for the past few weeks, been vomiting a lot. It is bad enough him being sick on the laminate flooring but this afternoon he was sick on the armchair and in my son's slippers and the wife is like a spitting divil as a result. He isn't eating any more than normal and is still active but he has lost about 2lbs in the last year (he is still 9lbs though, a very solid and powerful cat). Any suggestions? He was at the vets this evening for his annual jab, I discussed this with them and they took a sample of blood from him, won't have the results for a few days. Curiosity (and the need to quieten the 'trouble & strife') is getting to me.

Comments (10)

• petaloid
    14 years ago

I'm sorry your cat is having problems, and that your wife is stressing out about the mess.

If he is vomiting because of a hairball in his stomach, a remedy like Petromalt could help him feel more comfortable.

• Anne_Marie_Alb
    14 years ago

Well, the results of the blood work will tell you if it is a hyperthyroid problem or anything else a bloodwork can identify.. Any change in diet??? No bad teeth?
    Any shots in the past year? Your cat is old enough to NOT need any anymore, and certainly, not until his problem has a cause. Vaccinating a sick cat is a sure way to make a cat sicker. But your vet would not do that...
    Good luck,
    Anne-Marie (very much against over-vaccinating cats!)

• laurief_gw
    14 years ago

Weight loss and vomiting are two potential symptoms of hyperthyroidism, which is a fairly common disease in elderly cats. Routine bloodwork often doesn't include a Total T4 to check for hyperT, so make sure your vet is running a Total T4 test, as well as a full blood chemistry, with that blood they drew.

Laurie

• bonebloodyidle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input. I am somewhat sceptical about annual vaccinations myself but catteries won't board any that don't have an up to date vaccination record and in any case the insurance I have on him would be null and void without vaccination certificates. With regards to the blood taken, only a wee dribble was sampled. The vets (it took two of them) both lost more blood themselves during the process. My cat does not take kindly to being prodded and poked and he used his claws to register his dincontentment.

• laurief_gw
    14 years ago

If enough blood wasn't taken to run a complete blood chemistry and Total T4, you should take him to another vet who knows enough to wrap him in a towel and take an adequate blood sample from his neck. It's ridiculous that two vets couldn't wrap and hold him securely enough to get the job done.

Without the proper blood tests, your cat may not get the diagnosis and treatment he needs to overcome his vomiting and weight loss problems.

Laurie

• renee_fl
    14 years ago

I have a hyperthyroid cat that behaves EXACTLY like yours does at the vet. In fact he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism after exhibiting the same symptoms you described. My vet has an anesthesia chamber (we refer to it as the Happy Box). We put him in it, he gets knocked out, his blood is drawn (and ours isn't), he wakes right up afterward and isn't traumatized. Some cats are angry and feisty at a vet office and some are OUT OF CONTROL. Two or three vets could probably get a blood sample from my kitty but it would be traumatic for all involved.

I strongly urge you to get your kitty's thyroid checked. A vet should be able to handle the wildest patients. Perhaps you should consider another vet or find a vet with a Happy Box.

Laurie has given you some very good advice. She has helped me tremendously in the past and her advice has always been spot on. And speaking from personal experience your kitty needs to be checked asap. Good luck and keep us posted.

• meangoose
    14 years ago

LOL about the cat at the vet. I'm laughing because the last time we had to have Beast's (yes, her name is Beast) blood drawn, it took the vet, 2 techs, and a towel to get the feat accomplished. She broke a needle off the first syringe. There's a reason her name is Beast; she loves me and dh, and hates everyone else.

It also sounds like hyperthyroid to me. We had a kitty with this condition.

Get it tested. With treatment, a kitty can live a long time. The meds (assuming your kitty tolerates them - mine didn't - massive increase in vomiting) are inexpensive. Radiation treatment is very expensive but it was worth it to us for the additional 4 years we had with Mr. Twin. 4 years may not sound like a lot, but he was 18 when we had him euthanized, and had developed a cancerous nasal tumor, arthrities, and bowel issues. It's possible he could have lived longer, but his quality of life at that point was poor.

• bonebloodyidle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. During the process of taking blood my cat was wrapped in a towel. But he is very strong and manages to get the odd limb free. Kidney test came back with slightly elevated enzymes but not high enough to, according to the vet, cause the vomiting issues. It has been suggested that I put him on the Hill's 'i/d' food. I'll give this a bash for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. If no improvement a further blood test for thyroid issues will be implemented.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

I like hearing from people like you -- it's obvious that you care about your kitty cat. Let's hope the special food does the trick.

• bonebloodyidle
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well after a wee while on the special food he was still getting sick. We have had no rain for a while and as a result I can see the extent of his vomiting out in the garden too.

Back at the vet he was seen by the owner of the surgery who gave him a thorough examination and seems to think he has a furball that is too hard and too big for him to bring up. Whenever he tries all he brings up is his last meal. He has been put on some paste which should break down any hard furball and let him bring it up naturally, he has been treated for worms and put on a course of antibiotics to cover other bases too.

Touch wood there have been no vomiting accidents that I have seen evidence of recently but it is still early days.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!