Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fear of Thunder, Etc.

Posted by artistofmysoul (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 18:07

I have an 8 year old rescue Chihuahua named Tucker. I've had him since he was a one pound puplet. He is afraid of bad weather. Tucker is also afraid of trucks and buses, garbage trucks, etc. Six months ago we adopted a rescue Chi-Weenie, Ollie, who is now a year old. Ollie was completely fearless until a few days ago when we had a long-lasting thunderstorm. Ollie jumped right into my husband's lap and hunkered down with trembling fearful Tucker.

Is there any way to keep Tucker's fears from totally transferring to Ollie?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fear of Thunder, Etc.

Check out the link below.......and take note of the comment about Calm Reassurance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fear of noise

o

Thanks, annz! Lots of great advice on that link. :)

o

Annz those really were some great tips. I noticed on the article they also listed Rescue Remedy. I'll second that! Note that they DO sell Rescue Remedy in spray form - not just drops. When Rusty was alive, one spritz of that around his mouth/nose area and 5 minutes later he was in a snooze. I also began to use it in the shelter where I worked for "fearful" dogs just coming in the door.

I do have to say, Ginger (who was not afraid of storms when we got her 6 months prior to Rusty) over time did develop a fear of storms. We always thought she just picked up cues from Rusty (whom she adored).

Now that its just Ginger and Boo (the new dog), I am hoping he doesn't pick up on her fear of storms. With Rusty gone, her fears seem to have lessened somewhat, so they can pick up cues from each other. Boo could care less for now about thunder or firecrackers.

o

There is always the option of getting tablets. And maybe if you don't want to do that you could alwas sepwerate the two?

o

My chihuahua started to hate storms later in his age. I use something called the "Thunder Shirt" now. You can buy it online. It's about 40 bucks. Comes in all sizes. It compresses the body and serves as protection for them. Works great for me. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Thundershirt-Anxiety-Treatment-Large-Heather/dp/B0028QK6EY

o

Yes, we too use the thunder shirt on our rescue dog, Anna! It doesn't put her completely at ease, BUT it helps a lot!! They offer a money back gaurantee, so worth a try. Were glad we bought one. Very well made and machine washable

Here is a link that might be useful: Thunder shirt Home page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here