Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
other than clavamox

Posted by luvdogs (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 16:56

My cat is scheduled for a vet visit next thursday (a week from now). She's had a URI for at least 9 days and i've been giving her Clavamox but i know that it's a virus and the antibacterial effect is ancillary to the main problem.

What other antibiotics are given if Clavamox doesn't work?

I know that URI's can be caused by different agents - how would a vet find out what the exact virus is? Blood draw?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: other than clavamox

Most viral diagnoses are made from clinical signs. But other things can cause URI signs especially fungal infections and cancer. Most cats get over their URIs well faster than 9 days if it's viral, so I'd be worried about those 2 things. Depending on PE results and history I might do a nasal swab or blood draw or both. But that totally depends. Since there is nothing you can do about a virus I don't spend a lot of time or money trying to figure out which one it is, save FeLV and FIV. If FeLV or FIV are involved then I get very gloom and doom.

o

thanks - that makes things clearer.

I'm so curious as to what the vet says and what she'll recommend when i tell her that clavamox hasn't helped it seems. This cat definitely has congestion in her head although she has no obvious signs of a URI.

o

If FeLV or FIV are involved then I get very gloom and doom.

Just out of curiosity (and as an owner of a FIV+ cat), what do you mean by that?

o

My aunt always used a vaporizer when her Persians got upper respiratory infections.

o

yes, sylvia, i had read on the web about that. Also, a way to dispense medications - through vapor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here