Return to the Pets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Happy Ending

Posted by kitasmommie (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 16:21

This past Wednesday, a man stopped - while we were out in the front yard - to ask if we had seen his two dogs that had escaped. No - we didn't.
About 15 minutes after he left, they were in our front yard. My husband & a neighbor searched the neighbohood for this man - but couldn't find him.
We put the dogs in our fenced back yard & I started making phone calls. Called the shelter & the local vet. Posted on Craig's list, posted on PET911 and called the phone number on the tag for the micro chip service - only one dog had a tag - (they were very rude - told me they couldn't help me as the number wasn't registered). Then I took pictures & starting putting up signs.
Wednesday turned into Thursday, the into Friday......nothing.
We had a couple of doghouses in the back yard that are no longer used. Cleaned them up - put in bedding (which the dogs hauled out & shredded all over the back yard). replaced that with some pine bedding, but they stayed out in the rain.
I was very concerned......what if we don't find the owners? We can't keep them - already have two dogs and I refuse to the surrender them to the shelter.....
Finally, Saturday morning, the owners contacted the shelter & they were able to hook up with us & th kids got to go home.
I was so glad...so were the owners. They were pleased that someone like us took them in - fed them, took care of them, played with them. He tried to give us a reward, but we declined.
My reward was seeing them go home with Mom & Dad.

Next time someone is looking for their dog - I will definitely get a phone number.

Also made me realize how important it is to make sure my dogs tags are in place......both need to be replaced.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Happy Ending

It's always great to hear a happy story. Thanks for sharing ...and thanks for for keeping them safe.

o

Thanks for the good advice -- I'm very glad you helped them get back home safe and sound!

o

Great to hear a happy ending - seems to be too many lost dogs with no tags or chips recently.

My neighbor picked up 2 dogs wandering down our rural road, turns out they belong to someone a couple miles down the road but it took a good 24+ hours of contacting animal control, etc. to find the owners.

And a friend just emailed from Atlanta that he found a dog over the weekend wandering with no collar, chip or tags. I told him to post on Craigslist and put up posters.

o

Tags are SO important!! I just changed my phone number and am in the process of ordering all new tags.

I like Boomerangtags.com - good quality stainless steel tags.

Check them out. about 8.00 per tag but worth it.

o

Thank you for helping to reunite these owners with their lost dogs, and for providing the lost ones with food and shelter and kindness. I love a pet story with a happy ending!

I agree, luvdogs, nothing is so important as tags! My collie who panicked during a thunderstorm, and my little sheltie who several times figured out a way to escape through the closed gate were both returned to me within 30 minutes thanks to the info on their tags.

I too am a big fan of boomerang tags. Their stainless steel tags last the lifetime of a dog and they are engraved deeply. I put as much info as I can on my dogs' tags (address, phone, cell phone, email, etc) and boomerang tags are engravable on both sides, so it all fits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here